Star Citizen will be free to play November 23-30

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Cloud Imperium Games has announced that it will make the Star Citizen Alpha free to download and play for any player to celebrate the launch of Star Citizen’s first habitable planet, Hurst...

Star Citizen will be free to play November 23-30

fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Hmmm. Is it worth to try this out?

3. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    They must be desperate, hoping people will like it then spend $10k on a ship

INSTG8R, RzrTrek and Loobyluggs like this.
  4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I have a starter pack from the initial announcement of Star Citizen way back. Lost interest as it got bogged down in development.

Is it playable now, or what is the status? Did the alpha start?

Last time I checked it, it was a buggy laggy mess.

Loobyluggs likes this.

5. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    So, I've heard that the performance of SC is absolutely horrible. Did it get better? I have no interest of wasting bandwidth on a game that barely runs.

Loobyluggs likes this.
  6. Th3k1d

Th3k1d Guest

I'm an early adopter of the game as well, but quickly lost interest in all the patches, as with a mid to high level rig my performance was HORRIBLE.

They've recently introduced a Delta patcher(no more downloading 40gb Everytime) and pushed out some amazing performance patches in the current iteration (3.3.0), to the point that the performance is actually great and it feels like you can actually play the game now.

To give you an example I was getting 50fps in the starter room, and 35ish in the main hall of the station you spawned in.. with the recent patch I'm getting 80-90fps in the starting room, and 60-70 in the main hall!

There are some framerates drop in a couple of places (when you "space jump" with your ship aka QT) and some of the locations(levski) are still using old assets so the performance there is still terrible, but for the rest it actually feels very much playable that I've gotten excited for the game again!

I would recommend not buying it if you can test it first on this free weekend, as it gives you the chance to see if it's something you will like or not.
    If you do decide to try it out here is a referall code: STAR-C9FH-M4LZ
    It will give you 5k in-game "money" when you register a new account regardless of you buying anything on the store.

I swear this isn't a promotional post, just trying to give all of you an input on my perspective of the game!

yasamoka and fantaskarsef like this.
  7. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    I'm starting to tire of ruining the proper experience by playing unfinished titles in development. Usually in development long enough that I lose interest in playing the "full" game when it's finally released. Meanwhile, in early access, we end up suffering through bugs and framerate issues all for the joy of an early peek of a completely unfinished product.

So anyways, no thank you. As a Privateer junkie, this is a game I am very interested in. I'll wait until it's done. Hopefully this means we're starting to get close.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    :D If that day ever comes I'll eat my own PC

9. terrybogard

terrybogard Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 2080 RTX
    Oh dear here we go again with all the ranting. :D I am looking so much forward to the day that this game is completed, and all of you who bitche'd about, it never getting published, have to eat your own words :D

10. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    2012 kickstarter campaign
    2013 game development begins...

RzrTrek, cryohellinc and Loobyluggs like this.

11. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    [​IMG]

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  12. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Thank you for adding to my post-review forum thread where I get to cash in on the shares I purchased in popcorn and the futures and options markets for agriculture in whichever decade this 'game' gets released for final review.

13. butterwaach

butterwaach Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE

and you did well! :D

pretty much sums it up. obviously i wouldn't buy any ships around this years anniversary sale, since the new flight model will be introduced in the nex patches and you might end up with a ship which handles completely differently than you would expect from the free flight week.

but since the introduction of the OCS (object container streaming) the performance has really improved (ok i guess it wasn't that bad for you sitting on RTX 2080 - isuupose you have the CPU and RAM to back it up correctly).

but honestly for all the haters, go give it a try (even more so in 3.3.5). whats the worse that could happen except that you might like it?

regards,
    butterwaach

14. butterwaach

butterwaach Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE

wow, gta5, rdr2 (and the list could go on for decades) all took longer with established studios, a publisher and an engine...

but let me guess, you're here to rant...

JoeBlobers likes this.
  15. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    So you see me ranting? Or is that you? lol

I stated a fact only

fantaskarsef likes this.

16. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Well...apparently what they have is running at a playable framerate now...that's a big step forward from the last Free Fly event.

-Tj- likes this.
  17. butterwaach

butterwaach Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    would you care to explain how else your post was supposed to be interpreted? i mean you clearly wanted to contribute something worthy to this discussion, did you?

18. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Nope, if you can't decode the encryption yourself then you'll have to live in the dark...

Geez.. lol

19. butterwaach

butterwaach Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    i did decode it: it was a rant. you said it wasn't (or more precisely you asked me if i see you ranting - short answer is: yes i did)

hopefully someone reminds you to eat your own PC when the time comes to do so, as you promised it ... (i took the freedom and added it as a quote so your promise won't get lost when you happen to delete your post, just in case)

Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
  20. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I want SQ 42 now :<

INSTG8R likes this.