Any of the new Asus Strix 2080 TI's dead?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by boe, Nov 5, 2018.

1. boe

boe Guest

GPU:
    PNY 980 TI
    I know there is a lot of talk about some 2080 ti's dying. I was curious if any of them are the Strix model?

2. HisEvilness

HisEvilness Guest

GPU:
    ROG 1080ti 11GB
    Supposedly it is the reference PCB that is the problem, so any aftermarket cards with the reference PCB.
    ASUS Strix should not be affected.

3. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    There are always going to be cards being RMAd. You will see some people post that their card went belly up, however the "problem" seems to be with the FE TIs mostly.

4. boe

boe Guest

GPU:
    PNY 980 TI
    Thanks. I suppose to degree the question moot as I certainly can't get one from any vendor in the US.

5. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Is it likely all FE cards will fail at some point?

6. In Italy the Asus Strix 2080 Ti Gaming OC are not available in any store :rolleyes:

When will arrive on my home I'll tell you

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    No, it isn't.

8. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    thanks for the oh so witty reply.

Maddness likes this.
  9. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Mine has been going for 2 weeks now. OC'd like a dream to 2085 core and not a single artifact/crash/issue.

Seems most of these bad cards were founders editions.

Cools like a dream also. 45-50C I've never seen it past running at 2085 core. Idling currently at 30C. Really impressed.

Maddness likes this.
  10. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Is yours the Strix version.

11. boe

boe Guest

GPU:
    PNY 980 TI
    Does anyone actually have the 3 fan 2080 ti strix card?

12. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Yes it is, that is why I have it in my GPU listed as such, and why I said it was. :)

You'll love it, if you decide to purchase one. I'm very pleased with the cooling and high clocks it's reached. 2085 core 14000 memory, as well as the temps I listed above. No issues. RGB working great also. Just had to DL the updated version from the website.

ROG-STRIX-RTX2080TI-O11G-GAMING is the official name. Bought from Newegg.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yes I do. I have my RGB on full color cycle for now. I like it. I will probably come up with a color scheme or so here and there as I game.

Nope. Tomb Raider, FFXV, Black Desert on Ultra maxed out Gsync 165hz, still nothing above the 45-50C range. Have a CM STORM with fans in push/pull out in the open with no heat sources nearby. Playing in 2K. Played in 4K on my Sony Bravia at 60hz, still same findings, but hit 54C in 4K.

Recommend a game or two, If I have them I will play and report temps with a pic of Afterburner.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    Geryboy, Maddness and boe like this.
  13. boe

boe Guest

GPU:
    PNY 980 TI
    Way cool! I remember looking at Newegg a while back and they were charging something like $1800 for one (possibly pre-order) I can't remember so I stopped looking there. I guess I gave up too soon.

Nice clean case - no matter how hard I try it is always a mess although I admit I have an absurd amount of wires in my case (18 spindle drives and a couple of other bays with hot swaps and an optical).

14. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Yeah I was waiting for the GIGABYTE AORUS 3 fan, but I saw this pop up and the price was right. Was the only one at the time. They aren't easy to come by at retail price.

Even though this was second choice, I'm really impressed with how stable it is and the OC I got from it. It's cooperating really well with the AORUS Gaming 7 X399 board also.

Also thanks, I tried my best on cables. There are a few more I can tuck away, but they aren't really showing that much, and that is the two 8 pins to the card. EVGA has that cover plate to hide power cables for cards, not sure how compatible that would be with this card. Would be cool to see more vendors do that.

15. boe

boe Guest

GPU:
    PNY 980 TI
    Can I asked why you would have wanted the gigabyte over the strix? I read the the strix is a little quieter so that is why it is my choice but since I haven't bought anything yet it would be good to know the reason the gigabyte might be better. Also is there an option to leave the lights off?

16. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    Well Just to keep compatibility with brand names. But like I said, I'm happy with how the STRIX turned out. I'm sure I would have gotten a nice OC on a GIGABYTE, but I can't say for sure if it would have turned out as well as this STRIX. ASUS and GIGABYTE are running well together, I can say that for sure.

Lights off? Well I would only say if you keep it on at night or of they bug you sleeping. Leaving it on for longer times to keep the LED life. I don't see them dying so soon though. All up to you I'd say.

17. boe

boe Guest

GPU:
    PNY 980 TI
    Good to know.

18. GhostXL

GhostXL Guest

GPU:
    PNY EPIC-X RTX 4090
    I Don't play Fortnite, but I noticed my GPU heatup the most when using HDR with 4K. More the 4K than HDR I'm sure.

Also ty about the ram.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
  19. boe

boe Guest

GPU:
    PNY 980 TI
    Thanks for filling in so many details. Interesting about the HDR - is that HDR games or movies or both?

20. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Compatibility with brand names? The GPU and the motherboard do not even communicate to one another anything special if they are the same brand name. There are strict protocols each component has to adhere to, this is not a game.

21. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    That is not at all related to brand compatibility. That is just using the same software by the same company to control the RGB LEDs of two products of that same brand.

I'm not so sure.