What is STEAMS motivation for trying to STEAL my account?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by Slinkyminx, Nov 9, 2018.

1. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Steam is in right here your the one that refused there offer to have stuff transferred to new account you "DECLINED" it which very suspicious most people would take that offer. special if you cant give them proof the wanted. Almost all place want proof expecial when recover such old account that hasnt been used.

There follow their rules and there checks, and they even gave you option to get them back on your new account and you declined it, again most people arnt gone decline that special when they cant provide the info they asked for in first place. It was extremely generous of steam to even give you the offer the did. and your decline of it probably made them more suspicious. I know I would be.

I had to recover EA origin account few years back just to get access to the C&C collection I bought, I had to give them 4 emails the CD key to collections to fiqure out which email it was attach to in first place then I had to prove the email was mine in first places. before they gave me email/user name/pass that games key was attached too, I since then wrote down the username/email and pass to the account and put it some place safe. I guarantee you EA origin would of NEVER gave the offer steam did to you without the proof they wanted, and your trying to say the trying to steal it from you? way i see they where breaking there own rules by offer what they did and you turn it down

One reason why I log in to steam weekly, even if I DONT play the games that are on my account for months or even years this why i know if something is up with the accounts

2. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    I am going to try and give the customer service side of the argument or the guy working at Steam's side. I work in customer service so I've encountered the wtf is this guy on about customer in the past.

This is the customer who asks you to do something for them that while technically and logistically possible the amount of work and effort that you the guy serving them has to put in to actually complete it vs the actual pay off firstly for you or the business you are working and secondly the actual customer themselves it actually becomes easier to start putting road blocks up in front of the customer. The reason is that hopefully the customer will come to the conclusion themselves that the time and hassle just isn't worth the eventual pay off. The other side of that equation is that you just end up not following process and procedure and fast track whatever it is the customer wants just to get rid of them as quickly as possible because really they are nothing but a time waster, not worth spending the amount of time they want you to spend on them and the eventual pay off for you is next to nothing. I can get away with that latter process sometimes but I suspect that in Steams case the worse case scenario is someone who isn't the legit owner of the account may end up being able to gain access to the account.

Fender178 and scatman839 like this.
  3. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Can you have 2 steam accounts and not fall foul of their T&C?

4. Wouldn't hurt to take a lighter approach & get a hold of someone on the phone as well as see if they'll accept identifying documents ie driver's license passport etc

5. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    The most popular way to "hack" into other people's accounts has always been social engineering. This is why support personnel is trained to be as anal as possible with lots of red tape when it comes to claims about "I lost my account" type of issues.

Only a very small percentage of cases are actually legit. The vast majority is people using social engineering to trick support staff into giving them access to accounts.

6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Isn't that the truth...and the amount of emails with your XXXX.GameCo.com account has been hacked click here to reset your password...

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I doubt they care if you're not using them to scam or harass people. I've an account where I used to dump humble bundle extras and freebies (cards :p ) and nothing has happened.

8. nm+

nm+ Don Cappuccino

GPU:
    old
    Yeah, this.

9. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    @Slinkyminx
    I also side with Steam because it's your fault for not logging in enough to keep the account active. Also after 4+ years of not being in touch with your friends on your list they probably moved on to other things. So Steam isn't stealing anything. They also offered a solution to the problem which you refused and plus you failed to provide more information to prove that you own the account in Steam's eyes.

10. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    It seems the main problem they have with your account, is that it was already improperly handled previously, so asking for undeniable proof isn't unreasonable.
    they gave you a pretty reasonable offer aswell, despite the problems.

The lesson is, keep your keys.

11. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Other than, forgetting my password, that's if I even did... I fail to see I did anything wrong. All I wanted was a password reset link sent to me email, the original email, the same email used last time I forgot my password... The same email used to create the account. Anyway no matter. Is what it is.

OH and if anybody reads, please stop saying I REFUSED the offer, I simply said it was more about my old mates, than the games... Wow I'm such a monster. Then without giving me chance to respond the guy just said he made the friends list viewable and closed the chat. That was it. I never had a chance to even reply.

ANYWAY I think I am done here

12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I don't know, but why are complaining about the attention you demanded with your attention seeking title:
    What is STEAMS motivation for trying to STEAL my account?

I mean, that is silly. They are not trying to STEAL your account. We can read what you posted.

13. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    I genuinely don't believe you. They have some sort of motivation for wanting to can this account, of this I am quite convinced, it's not benefitting them in anyway, oooor it's more hassle to keep it live than not etc etc, SOMETHING, and that was really ALL I was wanting to know, thought perhaps someone here may know something about the workings of steam... Hence the title... It's my account, I forgot the password.

TF business is it of anybodies how often I log in and WHY

I made the bloody account and I have had it for 15/16/17 years however long STEAM has been around.

14. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    I believe this is the real problem

[​IMG]

15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Ok why don't you click on the forgot password option and have a reset link sent to your steam account email, or a missing something here?

16. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    That's what I would have expected, but instead they asked for my address, as you can see from my second post, what happened. 20 year old CD key ...

Yeah, they knew.

17. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Maybe Steam accounts were different 15 years ago when Steam first launched in 2003 than they are now that they required the CD key that you mentioned as a form of security. I am guessing here because I didn't even have a Steam account until June of 2011.

18. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Ok i am not really grasping this, yes i am slow, ok, so you installed steam, then hit the forgot password, got the reset link, reset the password, and then it asked you for your personal details, or it

Is that right because i can't fathom out how steam support got invloved in this seeing as it is automatic to get your steam account password reset as long as you got the steam email linked to the steam account, so are steam saying this account has been flagged for some reason in the past?

But if i were you i would take their offer assuming it is still on the table, get a new account, all your games back for free, and your FL back, because at the end of the day if you really cannot produce what they want then you are going to be left with nothing, as apposed to just losing a old account that at this time you can no longer prove belongs to you because you lost the log in info, i know it's a bummers but it is better you cut your loses by just one old account over losing everything, just my view on the matter. ;)

I have had my steam account since 2003 and i have on a few occasions misplaced my log-in details, but have always been able to re-set them via steam itself, of course i think what has happened here is the account itself has been flagged by steam for some reason and that is why proof is being asked for by steam support.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
    Slinkyminx likes this.
  19. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Having a motivation to get rid of dead accounts, which what all competent entities do, is quite different from your charge of them committing a crime of theft with ulterior motives. My belief or lack thereof, has nothing to do with the content of your posts. Maybe this really boils down into you just wanting an older Steam account date to which you can merge with your current account then... play Old School Steam Gawd or Ancient Gamer Guru...WTF do I know of your motives. ;)

20. Lets see....
    *got my pack of smokes - check
    *beer - check
    *10ft USB-C cord... -check
    *this thread - check

ahh... yes... belch ... :rolleyes:

airbud7 likes this.