Review: Battlefield V: PC graphics performance benchmarks analysis

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 9, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Depends very much on where you measure, I tend to think I have chosen a dense and more difficult to render scene. And secondly, at 1080P with GeForce RTX, CPU limitation comes into play. I run an 8-core proc at 4200 MHz all cores. The newer 9900K for example definitely will make a bigger difference in the CPU bound resolutions e.g. 1920x1080p and maybe even a bit in 1440p.

Once all cards have been tested and DRM is cleared I'll see if I can so some perf testing with different procs, including 9900K.

2. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    This review is incomplete - there's no benchmark for Degree of Butthurt, Historical Accuracy Index, or SJW Approval Ratings. I need to know how much I'm supposed to hate this game :p.

That's probably because they expect the reviewers to get fed up and just buy more licenses.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  3. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    Vega 64 on par with the RTX 2070 in 1440P and beating it on FHD, LOL! Nicely done.

Fediuld and Robbo9999 like this.
  4. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    Very impressive AMD Vega performance in comparison to NVidia, but disappointed with the fairly low fps at only 1080p resolution on high end cards. But, I am interested to see the inclusion of different CPUs within this article (which Hilbert has promised somewhere above) - perhaps the likes of 9900K/8700K/(hell maybe even 7700K) can push a stable 144 fps at 1080p for those high refresh rate screens. I'm hoping my 6700K at 4.65Ghz will be able to push a pretty stable 144fps, looking to this review to see how likely that's gonna be! (Would be interested to see performance of sensibly overclocked CPUs in this review too).

5. Quicks

Quicks Guest

GPU:
    Red Devil RX 470 / 4GB
    Why test the 470 8GB and 570 8GB if its basicly the same card, why not a 4GB of one of the two?

6. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    Respects to HH. I hope we all members and others understand the extra unnecessary difficulties/expenses HH is going though just to provide this as early as possible.

We all appreciated it!

P.S: And it's good to see the 1080Ti(stock FE) doing 60fps@4K! Nice!

7. Srsbsns

Srsbsns Member Guru

GPU:
    RX Vega 64 Liquid
    Is this a case of AMD fine wine or is Nvidia gimping the 1080? I'm no GPU scientist but I thought there was not too much difference between the 1080 and 2080.

8. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    To my recollection, the 2080 has similar performance to the 1080Ti, which these benchmarks are consistent with. So, I wouldn't say Nvidia is gimping anything.

And, I'd say this is also a case of AMD GPUs aging well (that, and they seem to team up with EA for optimizations pretty often).

airbud7 likes this.
  9. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    I'm fairly sure they don't even want these kinds of reviews in the first place. The only kind of reviews they want are the type that only praise the game with no criticism. Performance reviews are unwanted because they fear someone with a more lower mainstream card would hesitate to buy the game when they see how the better cards are so far above theirs. No matter how it's clearly said in the graph that Ultra quality setting has been used, and thus more performance would be gained by lowering the setting. No doubt EA also doesn't want to read how the top card owners are baffled by "poor" results.

10. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    Thanks for the review and your time on this Hilbert.

11. zimzoid

zimzoid Guest

GPU:
    2xEVGA980TiSC+(H20) Swift
    Good performance for hehe and with an old 980ti and 4930k cpu at 1440p

12. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    Nice to see AMD cards running so nice on this game for a change. Maybe it’s the DX12?

13. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    I'm surprised to see the 1060 6GB, and the Fury's performing worse than the RX470 almost across the board.
    Is VRAM really that much of a limitation? Also how much of that VRAM that is loaded is required in any given scenario?
    I'm kinda curious to see how a GTX 970 and R9 290 4GB would hold up.

Keep up the good work HH, It's much appreciated!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018
  14. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    How can a company do business if it doesn't even believe in it's own product?

15. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    Runs fine in DX12 or DX11

Last edited: Nov 10, 2018

16. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    I'm very curious why you'd have an 8700k at stock speeds? You're missing out on massive, free performance gains there.

These results are pretty darn awful tbh.
    Not a big difference in GPU temps regardless of OC, at least on my 1060

Also, it's not summer yet mate, it's still spring ;)

schmidtbag likes this.
  17. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

Definately something strange happening here.

The numbers would suggest you need a 6GB card to play this game at any and all resolutions.

Once the 390x is added, it might be easier to see if the Fury performance is due to vram or some other hardware limitation. Even then, the Fury uses HBM, so it should really have made up for any shortfall in other areas.

Edit:

Just had a look at other reviews, and they show an RX 570 4GB only slightly slower than a 580 8GB at 1080p, so VRAM is probably not the issue.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 10, 2018
  18. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Good decision to use DX12!

Even if it's less performing than DX11, it is the way forward. And it gives incentive to both devs and AMD/NV to get their act together.

19. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    Im getting more AVG FPS then most reviews even with no overclock. Do you heve some benchmarks what a i7 8700k above 4300mhz gains?

20. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Makes the GPU a bit more laughable tbh, it's so close to 1080ti performance but costs twice as much :D Think with the new 9900k there might be some differences, Haswell-E is getting pretty old now

@Hilbet Hagedoom

What do you reckon? the Haswell-E capping newer games now? or is it just very poor optimisation on EA's part