AMD Desktop processor Market Share rises to 13%

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Nov 6, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Or should we say Ryzes? AMD gained market share in the x86-cpu sector in the third quarter of 2018. A new report from Mercury Research states that the company now owns 13 percent of the desktop marke...

AMD Desktop processor Market Share rises to 13%

2. SSD_PRO

SSD_PRO Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    It is only a year and a half since Ryzen launched. I think anyone would have hoped for a bit more than 10.6 average and 13 in desktop; the big deal is it is growth, not the steady decline AMD was on before. If they add another 3 percent next year with R2, then 4 percent the year after in 2021 we quickly see 1 in 5 desktops running AMD. Even that 10% has already been enough to push Intel to release products that had been ready in wait for years.

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    The market would be a lot healthier if it all was 50% Intel - 50% AMD, that just is not the reality. Market share takes a lot of time in numbers to change, but even 1% is big in terms of an actual substantial shift. Remember Intel has a monopolized stronghold in all channels. Also, you need to realize that joe average that walks into a store has no idea as to who AMD really is and what their product can mean for them. It'll take time to build up a strong position, and thus market share.

Maddness, JAMVA, cryohellinc and 7 others like this.
  4. ChampSilva

ChampSilva Member

GPU:
    Couldnt find the source anywhere, can you post?

5. Brutalix

Brutalix Guest

GPU:
    1070 Nvidia
  6. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    *obnoxious exasperated groan*

On a serious note, those are some pretty promising numbers. If Zen 2 manages to fix (or at least minimize) AMD's latency issue, and, if it can achieve higher clocks, that might be all it takes for them to get them closer to 25%.

Maddness and Silva like this.
  7. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Intel had nothing coming up for years, the plan was to release a quadcore with more 100mhz each year and milk the motherboards, and that was it.
    Having competition from AMD again, they just scaled what they had and made rushed releases. It will take some time for Intel to come up with something new, specially being stuck at 14nm for as long as I remember.

Maddness and carnivore like this.
  8. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    All I know is AMD got me to build a new AMD machine for the first time in 12+ years,I guess they are heading in the right direction and can not wait to plop a new CPU Ryzen 3700X in my AMD machine.

9. go4brendon

go4brendon Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1080Ti Seahawk X
    Consumer cpu's are way down on Intel's priority list.

MOD: please stop posting videos as a reply. This is a discussion forum.

HonoredShadow likes this.
  10. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    They are certainly fighting ferociously for something way down on their priority list. I guess if they got competitors for whatever is on the very top of their list, they would send in the million dollar assassins.

carnivore likes this.

11. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    a bit of perspective...the market is massive...we are talking millions of units across the world so we are talking hundreds of thousands, perhaps millions, switching to AMD. and there's a knock-on effect as well, due to the reliability of the socket and value, AMD owners are more likely to recommend AMD to their friends and families.
    this is very good news and the increase in market share has Intel truly worried. not about the bottom line, but the fact they have to respond to the market conditions created by AMD (i.e. multi-core cpus).

so for someone analyzing the market position and stock value, AMD rates a strong "buy" from many many analysts.

Maddness likes this.
  12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    People don't replace their PCs every other year. I don't know what the numbers are, but I'd be surprised if Average Joe would be replacing their PC sooner than every 4 to 5 years.

Maddness likes this.
  13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    To further your point, the AM4 launch was a rough one to say the least, and despite this, it has still gained some solid traction. First impressions can be damning, but in this case it wasn't. AMD seems to be taking a lot more precautions for Zen 2 to ensure that it's a smooth launch. Linux has been getting a whole bunch of patches for it in the past few weeks, including stuff that the 1st gen took forever to get (such as proper temperature sensing). I assume Windows is getting these behind-the-scenes patches too.

tunejunky likes this.
  14. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Mind you that a lot of people are still content with their 2600 3770 4770 etc etc etc.with the 1060 i have now and this level of gpu made no sense to change my beloved 3770k (for what i use my pc) but both my motherboard and my 770 died so i jumped on a ryzen ! Was making no sense to pay more for intel at the momment . Hell a lot of people around on core 2 quads and they do not want to update . Last 3 computer specs i recomended when asked where with people comming from the core 2 duo and quad era.

Maddness, tunejunky and schmidtbag like this.
  15. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    PCGAMER posted a story on FACEBOOK about INTEL again hiring another well skilled AMD worker. In the 6 months INTEL has hired a lot of AMD's top workers. Sadly this will hurt AMD long term wise. God's sakes they have Jim Keller and Raja! We all know INTEL plays dirty and seems the type that would throw nails on Lisa Su's driveway so she gets flat tires going to work lol.

16. Craigpd

Craigpd Member

GPU:
    Raedeon HD7950 3GB
    Raja was dismissed, it was no surprise he was hired immediately after. Less so that it was by Intel. I mean, Last GPU "Releases" were respins and both failed to provide serious competition. Then Raja is asked to take a 3 month leave after Q3 results posted? Everyone knew what was going to happen there.

Jim "Contract Killer" Keller does what he does. He works on a contract basis, you bring him in to shake things up. He was at Apple, did that mean Android suddenly died on it's arse? He was at Tesla, does that mean Volvo fell over and breathed it's last? I imagine this MCM chip just "launched" is the product of Jim setting Intel on the right path.

Maddness, tunejunky and cryohellinc like this.
  17. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    I can't recall but INTEL grabbed another high end person from AMD it was on here or another tech site about a month ago.

18. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    It's been solid progress, although with plenty of ups and downs. Zen gained good traction but Coffee Lake took back market share in a major way (it was unstoppable from December of last year to March of this year). The current price situation with Intel is really working in AMD's favor though and sales are at an all-time high at mindfactory.

I'm thinking that Zen 2 will mark the next major step for AMD. A lot of first-gen Ryzen customers passed on Zen+ (including me) and I expect many of them will upgrade to Zen 2 when it arrives next year.

19. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    These are the lowest prices from EU shops that I can order from(taken from Geizhals):

AMD 2700X = ~€313
    Intel 8700k = ~€450
    Intel 9700K = ~€550
    Intel 9900K = ~€799(€669 locally. 1st time a high end cpu is cheaper locally o_O)

I can't think of any reason as to why anyone who get any of the 3 Intel chips above over the 2700X, besides a very few specific cases.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2018
    Maddness, carnivore and BReal85 like this.
  20. Zenoth

Zenoth Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 12GB
    What I genuinely don't get is why is it that Intel still insists on those crazy prices.

Their chips are good, very good (quality-wise). But just way too expensive on their own, and even more so when compared to AMD 'equivalents'. Wouldn't they plain and simple send AMD back where they came from (manner of speech) if they just... oh, you know... reduced they prices? No? Just an observation.

If Intel decided tomorrow to have at least identical prices, or heck, better prices; then I think any amount of progress made by AMD since 2016's Ryzen would be extremely short-lived. For some reason Intel act like it's really no big deal. Well ok, maybe it IS not a "big deal" for them? Is it? I just don't know really. But I'm just very surprised as a consumer seeing a company respond SO LITTLE against direct competition like that.

carnivore and Killian38 like this.