Free to grab: Destiny 2

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Deleted member 255716, Nov 3, 2018.

1. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    Nice graphics and silky-smooth gameplay max settings. I like this free game. The best free game with performance after ubi's for honor.

2. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    From what I've seen it isn't quite on the realms of free mobile games that require either constant never ending grind to get anywhere or for you to pay to progress but it does seem to come very close in certain respects, whichever way you slice it though if I was someone who had paid full price for the game at launch now seeing them giving it away for free only a year later. I would be pissed.

Kinda sad and funny really, remember 4 years ago when this game series was going to be the next Halo, reading about how much cash they had thrown at this 'series' and now here we are 4 years later and they are giving the sequel away for nothing.

3. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Eververse which is where things can be purchased with real money or in game currency only sells cosmetic items, not a single reason to spend a penny unless you’re desperate for cosmetics.

4. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Eververse does some times have rare armor but like you said it's for cosmetic since you have to merge it with another piece of armor to upgrade it gear points to make it useful. Other wise you would just be rocking a gear score of 10 on the full set.

5. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    Even then, everything in the store can be earned in game as well through random drops and from the free Eververse engrams you can aquire. As far as I know not a single item has ever been available in the store than you can't get just from grinding the game

6. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    Yea i know, I was just saying there also offered armor pieces.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    This Game is practically GPU Bound. With maxed out settings and 50% rendering resolution (1 quarter of pixel count to render) I had over 240fps on Ryzen. You can try to see where your CPU can push it.

But after about 10hours of constant playing, game started stutter on my system. It was getting progressively worse, and was fixed by just restart of game itself.
    I think 1st xx hours of gameplay is Good since I did not turn it off.

If I was to describe this game based on older titles:
    Destiny is game you get if you take Hellgate London, update its graphic side to 2018 but accidentally remove most interesting parts of it.
    - Class system in here is kind of weak side in comparison to almost any other MMORPG.
    - Its not really action packed, more like casually playing from sofa with gamepad in one hand and beer in another.
    - While it is MMO, it does behave as Single Player game as much as Hellgate London did all those years ago.
    - Have not met single person with Voice Communication on. And it was 1st thing I enabled in options.

So it really feels like quite OK casual, single player game which has online lobby and shared world. In that one play session I got to Power 220 and at that point I soloed every world event.
    Funny gear: Primary Kinetic Handgun, Secondary Energy Handgun, Heavy Sword. (Yeah I love heavy damage with slow fire rate, I am "gunslinger" with sword.)
    Everyone with their crappy SMGs and rocket launchers... I one head-shot everything, and those wanna be tougher enemies die with light one sword swing. Bosses lose 40~60% HP with heavy swing of sword.

I think Swords broke this game. It was meant to be shooter and all those enemies who are charging at you with intention to give player some adrenaline are just asking to be sliced.
    But it was broken even without swords. Time to kill for weaker enemies is like 0.3s and rate at which they are spawned is not overwhelming for one player, so groups make world events too easy.
    Classes are not really needed, I picked up Mighty Warlock. That has 3 subclasses (for what I unlocked so far). 1st has fiery sword ultimate for few seconds, totally weak in comparison to just having Regular sword. 2nd has Void blast ultimate which is OP one shot annihilator. 3rd has channeling lightning which is super weak and... boring.
    Then classes have "grenades", rarely used as there are no groups of enemies who would live long enough to require them. And heavier enemies die in presence of more players quickly anyway. They help with the boss fights. Only one which I really find useful was Pulsating Lightning grenade with arcing upgrade as it remains on ground for few seconds and therefore can hit additional targets as they get into area. (Not really worth picking lightning subclass for it over Void Ultimate.)
    Oh yeah and classes have 2 support skills each (only one selected at time). For warlock it is healing circle or damage boost circle. Damage boost is useless for all above reasons. Healing is almost as useless because of low difficulty of general world.

And game has those hated moments:
    - Invulnerable bosses in mid fight because you did enough damage to "weak" part and now you have to wait for 3 seconds so boss can transition to next phase.
    - If you wander for ammo or dropped gear too close to spawn area of enemies where they get down via drop pods... prepare for insta-death as drop pods will kill you. And yes, that's exactly place where you are going to go because most of enemies die where they spawn.
    = = = =

TL;DR:

It is nice, casual game if you have not played good FPS for very long time.
    But if you want good MMORPG with interesting story, lovely/satisfactory classes, challenging world events, a lot of world exploring content, mass-PvP, ... look for Guild Wars 2.
    Because Destiny 2 does not have single thing which would be great except having good hit boxes for multiplayer shooter game.

warlord likes this.
  8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I did not go to upgrade system in above post for good reason. I think Destiny 2 is game one should play till one hits built in Gear limitations. (Meant to persuade players to pay additional cash.)
    Upgrade system which uses purple crystals is just awfully thought thing. Player has to grind for Purple items and higher to break them into few purple crystals. Then use crystals together with other items to upgrade gear, or something else.

I have seen many games where you progress gear through absorption of other weaker gear directly. Those can be very grindy, but here my estimation is even worse as drop rate of required items is really small.
    (I have this feeling that gear system is in place to mask lack of real end-game content... at least for those who will not buy DLC with additional something.)

9. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    On my end I don't have any of those stuttering issues and I have it set to max with the rendering resolution set to 100%. To be fair I have an difference processor then you, a I7 7800x, I do have 16GB of ram, not to mention a GTX 1080.

Destiny 2 has it far easier with the crafting then some other games that I played, such as warframe. For me getting purple gem's isn't an problem, but it's the upgrading of item's like you mention with too big of an cost to do it. Most times I ended up doing if the item that I merging with what I using now is an much higher gear score. Other time's I wait til i get the same item again with the stats and modes but at an higher gear score. They really do need to do some more tweaking with the resource needed to do these merge upgrades.

Xur and his Fated Gem's annoys me to but mainly due to him trolling me. Nothing like claiming it and end up getting the very same item that he has for 23 gem for 97 gem from RNG. I had that happen once, when it did, I wanted to simply sweet business(mini gun) Xur to the face. I heard that they did some tweaking, but I feel they should some tweaking to it, in regret's to the amount needed to claim it. I know I said I can get a lot of gems without a problem , but still it should have it cost in half.

But at least it isn't as bad as warframe crafting/researching, you would be grinding for items forever in that game.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  10. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Problem with the whole infusion of weapons and armour is that before the Forsaken expansion it was too easy to just bump up the power of an item, so with Forsaken they adjusted it to how it currently is but they ended making it far to costly to do, they did mention that this will be adjusted again in the future based on the feedback they’d had so hopefully that happens soon.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    As I wrote, I have over 240fps in that game if I remove GPU bottleneck. With that in place I use fps cap on 120. But After 1st 10 hours of gameplay (which means a lot of loading), Game starts to stutter and removing GPU bottleneck no longer brings fps above 240. It was like 80~100 at the end regardless zone. And stutter was noticeable every second. Nor something minor, but good 50~100ms delay for some particular frames.

So, I am not sure if you gave that game similar hell as I did. But having progressively worse performance over time can be hardly attributed to HW. Especially when work set should be always same in same location. And restart of game fixed it again. That's 100% software issue.

12. GenClaymore

GenClaymore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3070 TI 8GB
    I lost count of how much hours I spent playing the game, as I had it for months, I know I have well over 200+ hours of game time. During that time I haven't ran into your issue, even since last month and now I been playing the game heavily due to the event that's still going on. During that time I played a lot and same.Including doing many bounties, hunted forest,crucible,vanguard strikes etc for heavily. With the madness in the crucible with super's going off. I don't know to say, I just haven't had any of the problems your having in the game.

Edit:There seem to be a thread on the Destiny 2 forum, with people who are having your issues, some that didn't have it til forsaken hit.

https://www.bungie.net/en/Forums/Post/236633053

Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
  13. shredderman

shredderman Active Member

GPU:
    Galax RTX 3060 12GB
    I'm running the game on Ultra, 120% resolution scale. Runs like a slice of butter melting on a big ol pile of flap jacks.
    In order to get the game you will need to claim it on their website.

I actually found the story rather interesting and the daily challenges are quite fun.
    I've reached level 9 and I'm still engaged by the enemies. As others have said, it's not everyone's cup o tea, but it is enjoyable.

I wonder how many people complain about a game like this and then play games like PubG which gets more flak especially for what the developers have done to it. Could be worse you know.

14. shymi

shymi Guest

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070
    Tried it during the weekend(80 gig download - ouch) and actually liked it. Will play it for another 2-3 weeks until I decide to buy the expansion + pass.

15. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Unfortunately it's a lot of money to buy the first two expansions plus Forsaken but if you guys like the game then it might be worth it. I got the expansions during a sale a couple of months ago and I'm hoping that Forsaken will be on sale sometime soon as well so I can grab it. 40€ is a little bit too much for a DLC.

16. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That person had it after 30 minutes, I after 10 hours. They broke something. Maybe specific code path for AMD for some effect.
    And yes, as person mentioned loading times are bad. I have it on NVME 3,5GB/s drive and it reads like 3% at most in that game.

Maybe for nVidia it takes even longer to start stuttering. Hard to say.

17. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    I think you get the first two DLCs with Forsaken now but I could be wrong.

Still expensive, but it's a decent amount of content.

18. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Maybe it's changed but when Forsaken was released it explicitly said that you need to own DLC 1 + 2 before buying DLC 3 (Forsaken).

19. maikai

maikai Maha Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070
    Yup, it has changed, Forsaken now includes all DLC. I quit playing right before Forsaken launched, but I make myself quit games before I end up wasting my life on them like I did with Everquest II

20. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090