RTX series low fan speed revving noise and turn on/off problem?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by dumbie, Oct 31, 2018.

1. dumbie

dumbie Member

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Problem description:
    I noticed the fans of my Gigabyte RTX 2070 are turning it self on and off almost every second when the card tries to turn the fans on below 30/40% fan speed, while the fans are turning on and off the fan speed is revving up to around 50% so it is very audible and annoying (especially during video playback).

Temporary fan solution:
    The only working solution for me right now is creating a (noisy) custom fan curve that makes the fans start running at 40% speed to make sure they instantly start at around 50c/122f, skipping the problematic fan speed range.

Please share your experience:
    It would be great to see some test results from all kinds of manufacturers and different card models to see which cards are affected by this issue and to see if it is caused by a specific manufacturer bios.

To recreate this problem all you need to do is manually set your fan speed between 1% and 30% and than the fans will start turning on and off for no reason as described above, to manually set your fan speed below 25% you can temporarily create a custom fan curve.
    (Please make sure that you do not have a resourceful application running that heats up your graphics card while testing the lower fan speed range)

My test results when changing the fan speed manually:
    Gigabyte RTX 2070 Windforce (GV-N2070WF3-8GC) (3 Fans)
    Fan speed 1%: Fans loudly goto 600RPM and turn off, repeating every 8 seconds, with a slight clicking noise.
    Fan speed 3%: Fans loudly goto 720RPM and turn off, repeating every 6 seconds, with a slight clicking noise.
    Fan speed 5%: Fans loudly goto 850RPM and turn off, repeating every 5 seconds, no clicking noise.
    Fan speed 10%: Fans loudly goto 1300RPM and turn off, repeating every 3 seconds, no clicking noise.
    Fan speed 20%: Fans loudly goto 1400RPM and turn off, repeating every 2 seconds, no clicking noise.
    Fan speed 30%: Fans loudly goto 1500RPM and turn off, repeating every second, no clicking noise.
    Fan speed 40%: Fans goto 1230RPM and they stay on as supposed to.

Video of the Gigabyte RTX 3 fans problem:

Gigabyte RTX 2060 Windforce (GV-N2060WF2OC-6GD Rev 1.00) (2 Fans)
    Fan speed 1-35%: Fans silently goto 980RPM and slow down a bit, repeating every 1 second, with a very slight clicking noise.
    Fan speed 40%: Fans goto 850RPM and they stay on as supposed to.
    Fan speed 50%: Fans goto 1050RPM and they stay on as supposed to.
    Fan speed 60%: Fans goto 1260RPM and they stay on as supposed to.
    * My card had a pretty bad fan rattle when between 80/100% fan speed which was temporarily fixed by moving the fans up and down.

Video of the Gigabyte RTX 2060 fan rattle:

MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G (V373-014R) (2 Fans)
    Fan speed 1%: Fans silently goto 650RPM and slow down a bit, repeating every 8 seconds, no clicking noise.
    Fan speed 5%: Fans silently goto 750RPM and slow down a bit, repeating every 3 seconds, no clicking noise.
    Fan speed 10%: Fans silently goto 800RPM and slow down a bit, repeating every second, no clicking noise.
    Fan speed 20%: Fans silently goto 900RPM and slow down a bit, repeating every 1/2 second, no clicking noise.
    Fan speed 25%: Fans goto 650RPM and they stay on as supposed to.
    Fan speed 30%: Fans goto 780RPM and they stay on as supposed to.

Confirmed cards with noisy fan speed problems so far:
    Gigabyte RTX 2070 Windforce (GV-N2070WF3-8GC)
    Gigabyte RTX 2070 Gaming OC (GV-N2070GAMING-OC-8GC)
    Gigabyte RTX 2080 Gaming OC (GV-N2080GAMING-OC-8GC)

Hopefully this will get the attention of the manufacturers so they can look into this issue and find a solution with a bios update in the near future.

Edit: Updated the post with test results of my MSI RTX 2070 Armor 8G.
    Edit 2: Added YouTube video of the Gigabyte RTX fan problem.
    Edit 3: I no longer own the Gigabyte RTX 2070 card so I can't test future bios updates.
    Edit 4: Updated the post with test results of my Gigabyte RTX 2060 Windforce.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2019
  2. dumbie

dumbie Member

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Thanks for the reply, I'm on the edge of refunding my Gigabyte and replace it with a MSI card so it would be great if someone with a MSI card can test if they have this problem as well.

My Gigabyte has indeed the fan stop mode on by default, I already tried making a fan curve which always has the fans on but the problem with my card specifically is that the fans don't start spinning normally until I set them on 40% which already produces more noise than anything else in my PC so that's also not an option for me... especially when you know your card has the option to completely stop the fans.

I don't know if it is fan power shortage related in my case because the fans speed up to for example 1400RPM just fine before it turns off again when requesting a 20% fan speed, the fan only needs to run around an estimated 650RPM when running at 20%, perhaps they just thought it was a good idea to "kickstart" the fans by temporarily giving more power than needed to the fans and then quickly drop down the power to get the fans running at the desired speed, but this sadly does not work for me because for some reason the fans get turned off completely while attempting to kickstart the fans.

It might just be a bios problem but I don't know if it will be fixed anytime soon by Gigabyte so I might just be better off getting the refund before it's to late and get stuck with this card.

3. dumbie

dumbie Member

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    I already confirmed this issue myself on two different Gigabyte RTX2070 Windforce models which do not yet have a new bios update available.

I'm also not going to cross flash the gaming oc or a msi bios into my card because that will most likely void my 3 year warranty.

There have been several topics about this issue on the Gigabyte forums without any solution or clear answer whether it will be fixed so far, but I'm assuming this issue is spread wider than just Gigabyte because there are also reports of this problem from Evga RTX 2080 XC Ultra users.

That's why it would be great if we can test all kind of different cards to see if it's a common problem with cards that can run fan speeds below 30%

Geryboy likes this.
  4. Ex3cut3r

Ex3cut3r Member

GPU:
    MSi GTX 1070 Gaming X 8GB
    I talked to "Manuel" the Nvidia Forum/Driver Guy through email, he telled me that they handled this fan isssue to Gigabyte, and Gigabyte is atm working with a new bios to fix the fan issue. But how long it will take I have no idea. Sry for my bad english, german guy here. ^^

5. dumbie

dumbie Member

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Awesome, thanks for sharing this great news, let's hope they can actually fix it with a bios update and that it's not a hardware design flaw after all.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2018

6. bandit8623

bandit8623 Guest

GPU:
    rtx2070
    i too have this same issue. gigabyte support when i talked with them 3 weeks ago said its normal..... crappy support..

the noise is the most annoying ever. as my pc is so quiet thats all i hear. glad to hear maybe they will finally fix.

7. Gimmick

Gimmick Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2070
    Hey guys,

Same issue here, I received my card just today and immediately noticed it. Fans on/off every second until 40% speed.
    I'm so annoyed I returned an Asus Turbo for this one..

Anyway, is there any news of a BIOS update? I still have two weeks to return the card but if I can avoid that I would be happy.

Thanks for your detailed tests!

8. dumbie

dumbie Member

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    There are dozens of topics about the Gigabyte fan issue on the Gigabyte forums but Gigabyte is not responding to them so they are still keeping their users in the dark on the forums.

Contacting the Gigabyte support is also pretty useless because you will most likely get a copy pasted response like this: "Kindly increase the fan speed percentage and set the settings above 40%. Also, you can enable 3D Active Fan function so the fans will remain off when the GPU is in a low load or low power game. It allows gamers to enjoy gameplay in complete silence when the system is running light or idle."

Which also isn't very helpful and they don't give us an update on a new bios update or if there will be a bios update at all to fix this issue, the only news I heard about a bios update is from Ex3cut3r contacting ManuelG on the nVidia forums but even than we don't know if they can actually fix this issue with a bios update or how long it will take because we don't know any details.

Even if they release a new bios update the chances are that they will just adjust the fan curve to begin at 40% fan speed instead of actually fixing the fans to work on 30% fan speed which will increase the cards noise produced on lower temperatures.

So if you want to take the gamble keep the Gigabyte card and hope they will eventually release a bios update if it's not a hardware issue, or just trade it in for another manufacturer like MSI which does not have fan issues.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  9. bandit8623

bandit8623 Guest

GPU:
    rtx2070
    i was directed by gigabyte support to rma my 2070 windforce. so its boxed up now and ill be sending back in the next fes days. have to pay return shipping what a joke... im not very hopeful ill get it back in working properly fashion...

10. Brutes

Brutes Guest

GPU:
    MSI 5770 Hawk@Crossfire
  11. mikogamer241

mikogamer241 Guest

GPU:
    NV RTX 2080 8GB
    I have the same issue on the Gigabyte RTX 2080 Windforce (GV-N2080WF3-8GC), with bios version F10.

Currently there is a new BIOS for this card too (29 december 2018), but it is version F2. You can only upgrade from it, if your current version is F1. So, not for me (yet).

Has anyone this card, without the problem?

I contacted gigabyte support, and it was indeed useless so far. I got a similar same generic reply as mentioned earlier. But I have replied to that. I stated that:

- Fans can run as low as 20% without revving, when setting the fan speed step-wise lower starting from 40% (in steps of 4%).
    - My brother's Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 has no issues with low fan speed when going from 0% to let's say 35%.
    - This revving is clearly broken behavior. They really should acknowledge that.
    - Setting a custom curve going from 0% to 42% is my workaround. I do not want to set custom curves :) (I use MSI afterburner instead of their software because it has the temperature hysteresis feature). Btw. I set it to 42%, because at 40% I still get 3 to 4 initials revving sounds before it settles down.

I have yet to decide to replace this card with something else, since I got a decent discount on this one (I am starting to get why though?). I can try to live with the work around, but this is a HUGE step back from the Asus Strix GTX 970 it is replacing. Let's hope that Gibabyte support replies with a decent answer this time.

12. Xtreme1979

Xtreme1979 Guest

Not trying to rub salt in the wound, but my ROG-STRIX-RTX2070-O8G-GAMING doesn't exhibit this problem. I have the card set to the performance BIOS, not quiet. Quiet does shut the fans off below 55c. Even with the performance fan BIOS this card is whisper quiet, and cool. If you guys are returning your 2070's I highly recommend this card. Hilbert even reviewed it.

13. LTC

LTC Guest

GPU:
    Inno3D 8800GTS 320MB 513@630 Core
  14. Ares1ty

Ares1ty Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Hi. GV-N2080WF3-8GC got the same problem with version F2 BIOS, and still doesn't work good. So i return this card. Gigabyte support sucks :) Sorry for my bad english :)

15. Kasutaja

Kasutaja Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    I have RTX 2080 Ti Gaming OC Gigabyte and have the same issue with the fan. Only solution is to make a custom fan profile so the fans stay on 35% and it's quite quiet that way. But if the profile would fail to start then the fans are quite annoying when the GPU is @ idle. It's constantly reving the fans like in the vide posted above.

No solution for this jet. One thing that bothers me the most about this issue is that guru3d did a review of this card and never mentioned this issue. Even the reviews from youtube and other sites haven’t mentioned any issues with this card. But looking around the forums it seems that if you get a gigabyte RTX 2080 card you are sure to have the fan problem. If I knew that before I would have gotten Asus or MSI card instead.

Only nice thing about this card is that the cooler manages to cool the card @ max load without loosing to much of the turbo boost ( 1800-1900 MHz). The noise levels are quite good to @ 75% of fan speed.

Running the latest bios F5 bios and it actually made the fan profile worse for me. So the best one was F4 I think. But it doesn't make much of a difference.

16. Ares1ty

Ares1ty Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080
    Hi. Gigabyte has sent me Card again with F3 (i didnt see this version on the website) Bios and still works too loud when i play long time but, they resolve problem with start-stop semi fan system.

17. TorbenX

TorbenX Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I have the same problem with my Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Gaming OC. Is there a fix for this now? Do I have to use MSI Afterburner to change the fan curve to something that actually makes sense?

18. uKER

uKER Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Same thing on eVGA RTX 2070 Black.

19. squabbish

squabbish Guest

GPU:
    rtx 2070 super
    Can confirm same issue with Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC. Purchaced in august 2019. Randomly revs up to what sounds like 100% fan speed for 0,5 to 2 seconds during internet browsing, or even just on an empty desktop.