cpu frequency doesn't drop when monitor is at 144 hz

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards Intel' started by blake86, Oct 30, 2018.

1. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    If you failed to force CPU into idle P-states (for example, by increasing the "Processor energy performance preference policy" with enabled autonomous mode or by increasing "Processor performance increase threshold" with disabled autonomous mode), then it can be that NV software somehow disables them (or messes with whole power management).

2. blake86

blake86 Active Member

GPU:
    4gb dd2 geil
    ok, i was wrong, in effect, the frequency still drop and the vcore too, but i need to use the power saving profile, whit the "balance" one doesn't work. What i'm triing to do is to create a new profile starting from balance and modifing some value with your tool to make it work. But your powersettingexplorer does not save the value i insert.

3. blake86

blake86 Active Member

GPU:
    4gb dd2 geil
    so, I think I have isolated the problem.
    it's not the OS, cause a fresh instal of the spring win 10 do the same.
    In a tread i show you the weird result of cpuz. Ok, now, with a fresh windows installation cpuz bench work. then I only installed nvidia driver and you know what? cpuz goes crazy again and again if I set 144 hz my cpu won't drop frequency.
    well, I'm done, at this point I give up. there nothing I can do...

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Please, describe step by step... You create new power plan from balanced one and then you start the tool and change some settings?
    Does it work with pre-defined power plan?
    Desktop or notebook?

PS You can describe (step by step) here, or in the thread of tool or start a conversation.

PPS As a workaround you can unhide any settings from the tool and then invoke advanced power plan settings dialog (to modify these).

5. blake86

blake86 Active Member

GPU:
    4gb dd2 geil
    my friend.. after days of pain I think fixed the issue...
    all those rumination about hz, nvidia, cpuz.... After so many clean instal, I have done a bios reset (hw reset, not just load default value) and boom...
    Now all works properly....
    I feel I have to cry T_T...

Geryboy likes this.
  6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Congratulations.
    And now you can tell me details how my tool is not working in your case, so I can try and fix the bug.

Not the things you would connect - BIOS and CPU p-states with installed NVIDIA card.

7. blake86

blake86 Active Member

GPU:
    4gb dd2 geil
    yea, that time was hard :/
    Anyway, as for you tool, cheers, I really wasn't aware of how much you can tune with this hidden settings.
    Well, simply when I change a value and tap Apply, the app return the previous.
    As you say, I fugured out that you can simply un Hyde the value and then modifie from the OS
    Ps already tried to open the app with administrator privilege

PPs, just one thing. before there was a process i the task menager called "interrupt" and something I don't remember that continuously jump up and down. Now game are also far smoother.... I really wonder what that process was..

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    "Interrupt" is not a process, it has no PID - process identifier. This is just the stub for showing the CPU load from hardware interrupts and DPCs.

If you have itching for tweaking you can try my another utility for switching PCI devices to MSI mode
    https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/windows-line-based-vs-message-signaled-based-interrupts.378044/

9. blake86

blake86 Active Member

GPU:
    4gb dd2 geil
  10. blake86

blake86 Active Member

GPU:
    4gb dd2 geil
    yes! exactly, I also discovered that reset the bios and simply load default profile are quite different

Geryboy likes this.

11. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Thanks.

Also I published here tools for large page tweak, time resolution tweak, compatibility flags tweak, standby list purge, and audio devices mute control. Interested?

Last edited: Nov 1, 2018