Unusual high failure rates for GeForce RTX 2080 Ti?

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 30, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    For a couple of days now there is quite a lot of chatter on the web with GeForce RTX 2080 Ti buyers having issues, problems even running up-to the level where the card is bricked. We've monitored th...

Unusual high failure rates for GeForce RTX 2080 Ti?

warlord likes this.
  2. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    No problems with my EVGA cards yet but this certainly seems like a big problem given the number of complaints there are.

Hopefully we'll get a statement if there is some kind of inherent defect.

3. warezme

warezme Master Guru

GPU:
    Evga 970GTX Classified
    I have a Gigabyte 2080ti. So far no problems since it arrived on October 9th so a little less than a month. I have played my regular games Witcher 3, Skyrim, FO4, etc with no problems other than Witcher flickering that was fixed with a hotfix yesterday. I ran the card through standard benchmarks last weekend to make sure it was performing as expected. It ran in the 98 to 99 percentile in 3DMark tests so I was happy with that. No other major stresses since then and it isn't overclocked or modded in any way.

4. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    My MSI 2080 Ti Trio is also running pretty flawless. I tried my hands at OC a bit, and in that situation I had a crash here and there, but OC is OC. Running at stock now with 110% PT only, and its been flawless, so far.

5. gUNN1993

gUNN1993 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 670 Windforce 3
    Lets hope it doesn't stop people using the ray-tracing on their new cards

holler, waltc3 and ceesay like this.
  6. bemaniac

bemaniac Master Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090
    You'll literally never know if the card has faulty RTX cores and Tensor cores because you can't use them until deep into your warranty.

tunejunky likes this.
  7. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    It will put the biggest stress ever on those cards, those who have faulty cards will die fast, i wonder if nvidia knows something about that.

ceesay likes this.
  8. Jericho2013

Jericho2013 Guest

GPU:
    2 x 2080 Ti in SLI
    I have two 2080 Ti FE in NVLiink/SLI and have had no issues so far. I received them in the first batch of deliveries a while back.

9. Nightstorm1

Nightstorm1 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Ti SLI
    I installed a 2080 Ti FE last Wednesday, within the first half hour or so, the logo turned from green to red. No other signs of an issue. I read that there is an RGB controller for the logo but no known means of changing the color. I tried using EVGA Precision and I can control the LED there, on/off/breathing but it's red.

A few days later, Friday, I installed a second 2080 Ti FE along with the bridge in SLI surround. So far beyond the logo both cards have been running fine and I've been pushing them pretty hard. I am not as yet trying any overclock, just using Afterburner Beta to control the fan profiles. I had read that other people had RMA'd cards for the logo changing color. As long as it's working fine...I wasn't keen on going through an RMA. Though I wish I knew why it had changed color. Rumor has it, we'll be able to adjust the color in a future driver. We'll see.

10. SoloCreep

SoloCreep Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080 TI
    So far so good. Fingers crossed.

11. Rantoc

Rantoc Guest

GPU:
    780 Gtx SLI
    My 2x 2080ti Gainward Phoenix GS works great, been doing the regular stress tests to rule out initial defects.

12. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    by Forbes
    --------------------------------
    NVIDIA has innovated a 360W GPU for $$$$$ to be able to show reflection on Jenseng.H jacket...
    --------------------------------

Last edited: Oct 30, 2018
    AMDfan, ceesay and warlord like this.
  13. SSD_PRO

SSD_PRO Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    Why are the negative posts concentrated in the nvidia forums and reddit? Many other places to comment there such as these forums and the forums of the mfg and other tech sites.

More importantly:

Following the link from this article to "talking about crashes" you will see a post from "Sawfear", "konstantin.schuster", "longdiddy", "shiray4" and "psycheva01". Those are the first 5 posts in that thread - each from a new account created October 2018. After those first few posts they start talking to each other until another new member chimes in, "VKN" which is another October 2018 account.

14. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    So what are you implying? That there is a newborn conspiracy acting willingly in the open to flame and sabotage Nvidia's reputation? lol that's too much

tunejunky and Caesar like this.
  15. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    Received my 2080ti FE on October 5th and worked great until October 27th when my computer suddenly froze while playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider. Screen went black and fans on the GPU went to 100%. Rebooted, tried card in different PCIe slot, and even in my GF's computer all with the same result. As soon as the PC is turned on the fans spin to 100% with no display.
    Waiting for my replacement from Nvidia now. Supposed to be shipped out this week. Luckily still had my 980ti so am back to using that for now.

Silva likes this.

16. chocoaddict

chocoaddict Member

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 Trio
    My msi rtx 2080 Ti gaming x trio working pretty well, it’s poor overclocker for prebinned chip though.

It’s also not flawless because I’m having issue with game vsync and screen jittery across developer(which I didn’t have while I was using my 1080 ti back then). I fixed it with forced it in nvidia control pannel. I also noticed weird behavior like black screen flickering in witcher 3 which is addressed in nvidia driver hotfix. So I’m sure this is optimization issue instead of hardware flaw.

And, there isn’t any life sign of dlss or ray tracing just yet. To be honest, this whole generation launch is total mess.

17. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    Nice thread.
    Some good cards,1 conspiracy theory and 1 complete fail of a card within 15 posts.
    I believe that there is a problem, there will always be problems with tech,is the actual failure rate above normal,now that I do not know.

Loobyluggs likes this.
  18. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    :cool: ...within 15 posts the conclusion have been made !!!

Click this link for more info. ;)

Silva likes this.
  19. Domingo

Domingo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 (Gigabyte)
    I'm on an EVGA 2080 Ti. No problems like the reported ones thus far.
    The only issues I've had have been in Shadow of the Tomb Raider ("DXGI Hung Driver"), which are apparently common and not exclusive to 2080's...although it does appear like lots of 2080 owners have the issue.

20. SSD_PRO

SSD_PRO Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070
    I actually didn't imply anything. I just stated the facts of that thread which are that the posters in that thread, with rare exception, are brand new to the forum. My mindset at the time was actually that the buyers reporting these crashes seem to be first time buyers with no prior experience since they are brand new to the forum - more of an inexperience issue.

BangTail likes this.