Samsung HMD Odyssey+ gets announced

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 23, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Samsung Electronics today announced a new advanced display technology for the HMD Odyssey+, bringing true-to-life visuals to its entry into the Windows mixed reality space through the Windows Mixed Re...

Samsung HMD Odyssey+ gets announced

2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I hear this is supposed to eliminate sde totally, that would be a awesome step for vr.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Considering the resolution, it's possible, but I'm a little hesitant. I think 3840x1920 ought to accomplish that, which would also be slightly less GPU intensive than a normal 4K display.

XP-200 likes this.
  4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    From my experience, issue is not as much in resolution as it is in user seeing black spaces between pixels. Rough surface diffusing light could help with that, but colors then may not look as vivid.

5. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Those black spaces are the SDE. A higher resolution can help reduce it. Of course, a higher resolution doesn't necessarily close in those gaps, but generally speaking, if you increase the pixel count within the same area, those black spaces begin to narrow, or at least allows you to view the display at a greater distance where you're less likely to see them. In the event of using diffusion to hide the SDE, a higher resolution would make such an effect less noticeable.

tunejunky and Fox2232 like this.
  6. Corbus

Corbus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Moist 6900 XT
    Nice to see more options are coming but i'll wait at least 2 more years until i jump on VR again.

7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well the psvr is almost so close to no sde at all, the best out of them all, with the Dell vr visor coming in a close second, and the rift being third, although the rift compared to the dk 1 and 2 is night and day, so we are getting there most certainly, i can't wait to be barreling down the UKs motorways in ETS2 heading for Amsterdam with a bulldozer delivery, all without that sde, that will be my vr nirvana. :)

8. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I've read that even the 8k headset that was crowdfunded still has the sde so resolution alone isn't going to solve the problem

9. quantum hacker

quantum hacker Guest

GPU:
    GTX 275 - 896 MB
    For now I just put my face almost against my 4k monitor. Works great for Assetto Corsa with no SDE

yasamoka likes this.
  10. JJayzX

JJayzX Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Trio 4090 W/C
    Maybe the Anti-SDE tech is just a different material between the pixels or a thin diffusing coating to just slightly overlap enough to obscure the line and not completely wash out adjacent pixels.

11. flashmozzg

flashmozzg Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB @ 947/1250
    Already done in Pimax 4K/8K. Probably for a better price too (not sure about this headset's price).

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  12. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^But the Pimax 4k has no positional tracking.

13. flashmozzg

flashmozzg Member Guru

GPU:
    R9 290 4GB @ 947/1250
    But 8K (and 5K) does ;)

14. Sweeeper

Sweeeper Guest

GPU:
    32 gb
    trow StarVR in there too looks even better then Pimax... :)

15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    But have you seen the price of them, i don't know about ponds but in dollars the 5k is $700 and the 8k is $900, are they having a laugh, my Dell VR was £170, the chepest VR headset i have to date. lol