Red Dead Redemption 2 requires 150GB of free space on PS4

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    PS3 speed was also abysmal I remember. Can't speak on PS4.

2. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    This is a result of the additional disc space available on BD-ROM.
    As was the case in the past, they utlize as much of the disc space as possible. ie they try to fit the game onto 1 disk. which these days is 100gb for bdxl , coupled with the fact games are installed to harddrive lately, means the contents can be more compressed than previously.
    thats how you get a 150gb install.

of course this strategy doesn't account for downloaded copies, which means a fun wait time those who dowmload.

if i recall RAGE by id software had 1TB of uncompressed/unpotimized assets in development, which can give some perspect as to how big these projects can be pre-optimization/compression.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    i cry for the people that got digital and have a connections slower then 50mbit

4. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Current consoles don’t actually read any data from the disc as you play these days because the read speeds on the Blu Ray optical drives are terrible, they just install the content straight off the disc and then use the disc to authenticate the install when you play the game.

Download size doesn’t bother me so much as I have a 4TB external drive on my PS4 and decent fibre connection, I do have friends with slow internet that are really going to have a rough time with this however.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    No, its just laziness.

6. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    $100 for a 1TB SSD, I (personally) do not have a problem with the whole 'storage' argument.

This is, of course, if you have a PS4 - which Sony made very very very very very very easy to upgrade/change the provided HDD with one that rocks the casbah.

7. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    Game comes on 2 discs, no swapping hopefully :)

8. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    one play disc one install disc

you won't need to swap, same as gta5 on xbox 360

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    But that's exactly my point - there are plenty of things that could be loaded from the disc without negatively affecting performance. This would primarily be audio or pre-recorded cutscenes, but those take up a lot of space.
    Also, if the game has any loading screens, why not just store the data loaded from the loading screen from the disc and just highly compress it? An 8-core CPU could decompress data from a BD-ROM faster than reading raw data from a mechanical HDD.

Loobyluggs likes this.
  10. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    I was being ironic :)

11. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Same here, only console that won't give me the full 34 meg over my fibre is the pro, wired or wireless, no matter what i try it simply will not give me my full 35 meg speed but rather fluctuates between 17 meg and 26 meg, and that is over wired, the same wire that i get 34 meg with consistently on the PC and XBX and my tv, so there is certainly something going on with Sony's psn and their dl speeds and i can't fathom out what or why, even the speed check keeps showing different speeds everytime you test it....not a big deal though as i don't buy anything digitally on the pro anyway, but it's certainly is weird issue that i don't seem to be able to affect.

12. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Maybe if you actually read the thread correctly you’d notice that it was in fact someone I quoted that said they hadn’t had a console for decades...

13. bulldog75

bulldog75 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070 OC 8G
    Fair enough.
    I shall procede with deletion of that post Bro.

anxious_f0x likes this.
  14. GamerNerves

GamerNerves Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT Nitro+
    I want a physical PC release with bluray discs.

15. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    that'd never happen, think not a single game has released on bluray for pc

16. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I feel bad for folks that don't have the fastest connection, but at least they aren't putting half the game on the disk and half the game you have to download as a day one patch for physical release.

17. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^^^ Never rub another mans rhubarb........no, wrong saying.......i mean Never buy at launch and Never pre order......these two things should be the norm until the cesspit that is today's gaming industry learns that they are there for the consumer, and not the other way round. ;)

carnivore likes this.
  18. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Meh, it's the same size Final fantasy XV is...

19. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    Pre download is already available for people who pre ordered, total install size on PS4 is 92.76GB.

So fairly large, but the pre download was up nice and early so most should have it downloaded by Friday if they pre ordered.