NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    4x/8x huge performance cost but really quite nice
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Johnny99

Johnny99 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB
    How do I set the depth bit?

3. iamallthatineed

iamallthatineed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
  4. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    impossible because the game updated to directx11

5. iamallthatineed

iamallthatineed Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6GB
    I see, thanks. That's too bad. Is there any other way to force AA? I really don't want to use DSR as it makes it impossible to use borderless windowed mode.

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    As mentioned. The depth bit is 0x00400000 The 4 specifically. Add the 4 in that location to the flag.

Nope. You could borderless window by using DSR res as desktop res. But then everything is tiny lol.

7. Johnny99

Johnny99 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB
    I got it working now, thanks. I'm only using ReShade for the border option which covers the lines which are created by forcing AA to the game. If I use only 4X MSAA then the game isn't blurry, but as soon as I press Scroll Lock to enable ReShade (only the border option) the game becomes a lot more blurry. Can I do anything about this?

8. Mister_Ideas

Mister_Ideas Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950M / 4096MB
    Hello there,

Sorry if my questions are already resolved but i really need help since many months :(
    I can't force my antialiasing parameters with Nvidia Inspector for a lot of games, mostly Unity games btw..

List:
    Airport CEO
    Parkitect
    Prison Architect
    Two Point Hospital
    another Unity Game not very famous..
    but Fallout Shelter is working well with forced AA and it is from Unity so idk what is the problem !

I really don't know how can i force my AA to work in these games to have smooth and beautiful objects. Is there a software to install with Nvidia Inspector ? Or what parameters i need to change exactly ?

Mines actually:
    https://i.imgur.com/rNnZPxh.png
    https://i.imgur.com/eO3lxWY.png
    https://i.imgur.com/NWCb5BS.png

Thanks for your help !

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Unfortunately, newer versions of reshade (Beyond ver 2 I think) have their post processing in formats that forcing AA doesn't like to get along with. And can cause blurring.

I would either use a basic sharpening shader and use scroll lock to A/B test until you can get the sharpness close to a similar level (You probably will have to use stronger than normal sharpening due to the driver AA, even MSAA) without adding significant artifacts.

Or use an older SweetFX (The original, not the ones based on Reshade) with an adjustable border shader. Those shouldn't conflict with forcing AA. You can also try older versions of Reshade as well. (2.00 and earlier).

Are those games DX9?
    Are you making new profiles and adding the correct exe to the profile?(If not, an absolute application path).
    Unity games generally work with the same flag, but they may not behave the same. (Ex: Hitman Go) and sometimes have built in post processing AA that can't be disabled in game (Again:See Hitman Go) that may interfere.

Most newer Unity games are DX11 however..

___
    http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/120751

Watching the videos on the review on the main site looks interesting!

It clearly cannot resolve some specular/shader problems. (This is when viewed on a 1080p monitor too, so i'm getting the benefit of 4xOGSSAA viewing the video)
    And when completely stationary looks worse than TAA in the same specular/shader aliasing areas (The mirror of the truck when Cindy gets in for example is a straight line with TAA as it should be if ground truth resolved. But not with DLSS).
    In these instances it looks an awful lot like an AI driven upsampler like Waifu2X, instead of resolving the aliasing. It makes it look like blurry wavy line. (Feed an AI driven upsampler the same kind of material and that's the result you will get most times)
    This ends up leaving temporal aliasing behind, but it still looks a lot better in many other ways than the game's awful TAA. Which can't resolve jack in a stable manner in general. Stand still and do nothing, it's not so bad. Start moving and it turns into a smeared mess. Anything behind transparent glass surfaces have a ton of artifacts, and edge quality is awful all around. It can't handle any of the dithering properly at all, there's after image artifacts. This game is one of the most egregious examples of a harsh lighting model filled with undersampling, shorcuts, aliasing, and then expecting a cheap low quality TAA method to be able to clean it all up.

In all other areas though DLSS looks so much better, (Especially handling the SSR) and overall looks far more temporally stable compared to TAA so long as there isn't a lot of harsh specular lighting.

Watching the Infiltrator demo, the weakness of how poorly DLSS handles small sub pixel detail and specular/shader aliasing shows up even more. Where there are far more visible areas where it looks worse than UE4's mediocre TAA.

Viewing these videos under fast motion is questionable though, as Youtube's recompression just about robs the image of all fine detail in motion. Making it more difficult to truly discern the true image quality of DLSS. If we could get the source video as a download. That would make a world of difference.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
  10. Mister_Ideas

Mister_Ideas Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950M / 4096MB
    Hey,

Thanks for reply!

I am adding new profiles with the correct exe but no effect without flag in override or enhance mode. I don't know wich flag or other options i need to use :(

Two Point Hospital is DX11 for example. What flag i need exactly for this type of Unity games please? Note that other players have antialiasing enabled with my graphics card type on this game and in don't know how. It is doing it for most of my Unity games and other players seems to have smooth effects without doing anything...

11. dezo

dezo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    @MrBonk: If the brand new DLSS feature cannot resolve specular aliasing, then it is pretty much useless. Specular aliasing comming from shaders is the most annoying form of aliasing in games. Not to mention that DLSS must have support in the game engine itself, so again what good is it for older games? I don't know about these new 20xx cards... somehow they seem less and less attractive for me :-/

12. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    It seems to do ok with some specular stuff, but the majority no. And the UE4 example videos show this much worse than the FFXV video.
    I agree for the most part. Again we have something tuned for the fastest performance possible, rather than the best quality. Though they make claims about quality.
    It's still imo preferrable at least what I have seen, compared to FFXV's TAA.
    If people are claiming to be getting AA from the driver and that game, they are lying or aren't providing real proof. It is impossible to force MSAA/SGSSAA in DX11 games. (With very minor exceptions). There is nothing in the driver to do so, unless the game has MSAA support built into it.

13. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Mods please pin this.

Susahamat likes this.
  14. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Some confirmation needed, is this bit 0x000002C1 works well for Risen 1? Can't understand this from google translation of reference link o_O
    Nvidia DSR works, but some UI elements does not scale, shame! :oops:

15. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    You must not be doing something right. I just redownloaded Risen and verified that 2C1 does indeed work for SGSSAA and OGSSAA and 241 works for MSAA.
    You will need a border shader though as there is a white outline.

Here's a screenshot of 4x4 supersampling. (With SSAO disabled. As that causes quite a drop in this game. Quality isn't good either)
    Game is still a performance hog :p https://abload.de/img/risen_2018_10_18_13_4d6e7t.png

16. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Well, i'm not doing anything right now, just asking if this bit works well in a long run (i just tested first 10 minutes and it looks alright!) :)
    About performance - yeah, some particle effects can tank framerate (smoke for example) at 4x SGSSAA, maybe disabling SSAO will help, thanks for advice.
    PS - "border shader" such thing exists?! :eek: Because white outline driving me crazy in some games lol

17. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Yeah, it's been mentioned pretty frequently in the past. But use SweetFX or ReShade (An earlier version that doesn't require the depth flag to be set in order to not disable AA is preferrable) to set a 1-2px border around the entire image to hide the artifact that occurs commonly with forcing AA.

You might also try tweaking the game's config/ini files for the graphics to try and improve performance further. There are options for various shadows, post processing and draw distances and such.

18. KainXVIII

KainXVIII Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970
    Latest Reshade shows black screen for me in Risen (UI and menus are visible though)

19. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Try an old version. Like 2.0 or below. Easiest way is just to use one of the myriad versions of SweetFX before 2.0 (which moved to reshade).

KainXVIII likes this.
  20. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    In something related more sad, (Revisiting)Earth Defense Force 4.1 has AA in the menu, but it only works in the menu. I always though maybe it was MSAA based on how it looked. So today I did an experiment and tried to enhance it with 8xSGSSAA.

And it worked. And it looked so good. This still leaves me puzzled why it doesn't actually work in game. Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy must you torment me Sandlot!
    Downsampling from 4k and higher becomes headache inducing because the HDR eye adaptation bugs out and flickers a bunch between super bright and normal exposure.

http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/123036

KainXVIII likes this.