First Benchmarks Core i5-9600K Leak, Overclocks to 5.2 GHz On Air

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 16, 2018.

1. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    Sure, that did happen very recently, relatively speaking. Surprisingly (sarcastically speaking) what else happened very recently is AMD giving the mainstream 8 cores and 16 threads. Before that some games could put the 8 threads of an i7 to some use, but didn't much suffer without either.

2. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    You know Hyperthreading has been around since 2002? And Intel released their first dual core in 2006? Don't tell me Intel has been holding back multithreaded game development. Devs could have started taking advantage of the extra threads 10 years ago just like the other poster said.

Adding to that, consoles have been multithreaded for over 10 years now so it's not that the game devs can't do it, they just choose not to.

3. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    Don't lots of games also run using pre-built engines, such as the unreal engines which I thought had good multi-thread support, particularly the most recent one?

4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    How many people did have an i7 with its 8 threads back when AMD hadn't yet changed the game? Lots of games required an i3 with its 4 threads and recommended an i5 with its... 4 threads. It's not like you could really tax 4 threads that much if you still want to have it work on 2C/4T anyway. It hasn't been so many years since rarer games started to recommend an i7. So, yes, I'm going to tell you exactly that: Intel has been holding back multithreaded game development. I'd also say that Intel still treating HT like some luxury item is a sign of how much Intel dislikes giving multihreading to the plebs. Without Ryzen, in 2022 Intel would still be sticking to 4 cores i5. Maybe they would have finally given a 6 cores i7, without HT, in the mainstream. Above that, sell a kidney and go HEDT.

I'm pretty sure game devs are using the weak cores in the consoles, as much as they need to.

5. Ryrynz

Ryrynz Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 960
    Also the STIM on 99/98/96 00 and could be a refined 14nm meaning some extra efficiency.
    Also don't forget the hardware mitigations for Spectre and Meltdown which should offer some performance improvement over the software/BIOS fixes for previous generations.

This is very much a save face/get in the game move.. it's all upwards and onwards from here on out, Intel's about to bring it's A game.. Finally.

6. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    the hw fixes are only for meltdown and the L1 terminal fault bugs. Spectre mitigations remain the same as the other skylake variants, wont be until cascade lake that some sillicon spectre mitigations are available.

If this is intel's A game , they are screwed. the performance isn't good enough,and the cost is too high, if the top end sku was the launch price of the 2600k adjusted for inflation you might have a point, but frankly they will lose market share, which is not something you want to do when you have the dominant position and more resources than your competitor. its embarrassing.

HandR and Embra like this.
  7. yeeeeman

yeeeeman Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 9600GT 512MB
    280$, hmm. What other CPU can I buy for the same amount of money that would give me much better performance?
    Yeah, 2700X. 8 cores, 16 threads. Hope that the people that got burned by buying 7600K when AMD was selling the 1600X for the same money, learned their lesson. They bought a 4 core 4 threads CPU cause it had 10% more IPC, when everyone was saying that in the next years, more threads will be beneficial in gaming and not only.
    Now, people do the same mistake. They buy a crippled 6 core 6 threads CPU for the same money that they could buy a 2700X at 8 cores and 16 threads. Again, after 2-3 years, they will have to "invest" in a new rig, cause 6 threads are not enough anymore and those "stupid" 2700X users will still enjoy good performance. Not talking about the upgrade path that you get with AMD.
    People will be people, again and again, and do the same stupid mistakes each time and then finding excuses...
    LE: I know that usually we had AMD as the underdog. I know that they don't have a great track record and they did a big mistake with Bulldozer uArch. But this time I think we have a different AMD. This time AMD products are really better and their pricing is great. This time AMD will have the manufacturing advantage (which is the advantage you want to have, at 7nm). I think we all can agree that they did a great job with first generation of Zen, they squeezed it for 2nd gen while offering great prices. I don't see any single reason why you would buy an Intel product at any price range currently. And don't bring the 10FPS more in game X argument. When you are pushing over 100FPS, 10 FPS more is just placebo. Extreme gamers that use 144Hz monitors and have the eyes from mother nature to use that high refresh rate in their advantage are very few. Also, most of the high FPS games are already running at over 150-200FPS on Ryzen products also, so that is not a reason.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  8. Ryrynz

Ryrynz Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 960
    Sad. We'll grab a few percent back with W10 1903..

I did say about to :p. They're just doing what needs to be done right now, as soon as their results get impacted a decent amount they'll do more, they are pursuing things with a renewed vigor though.