Facebook Seeks to Place Video Cameras in Your Private Space

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 15, 2018.

1. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    No, it isn't BS, because despite what you think, nobody cares about what you're doing on your free time at home. Trust me, nobody wants to watch you fap or smoke a joint in infrared through your VR camera, and Facebook isn't going to blackmail you over it either... The only thing companies like FB want is enough information to sell you products. If a government is intercepting that information and actually cares about it, you'd have been busted a long time ago.

As for privacy being a human right, that's debatable, because security and privacy don't cooperate, and some people (not me, specifically) prioritize security. But if privacy is all you care about, go ahead and live your life in paranoia - it's not my problem, and I don't like it that you suggest it should be. I for one choose to actually enjoy my life the way I see fit, which doesn't have to involve illegal activities, and as a result, I don't fear what others may find.

2. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    does this mean I may be caught with that prostit*%te the other night?

Oh wait! nvm.

3. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    When did I say privacy is all I care about and when did I suggest it should be a problem for you? The answer to both questions is never. I voiced my opinion on privacy doesn't mean you have to agree with it as you say yourself it is debatable.

4. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    You're right - you didn't say that, but logically, if you aren't doing anything wrong and yet you're still worried about privacy, that implies you do not prioritize security, and therefore privacy is the primary interest. Like I said, you can't have both privacy and [good] security, so unless you don't accept that reality, you've basically expressed your priorities.
    You did imply this should be a problem - you said "those who argue that if you haven't got anything to hide then there's no issue, that is complete horse sh!t" which basically can be paraphrased as "even if you're not a criminal, you do actually have something to worry about". If that isn't what you meant, then what did you mean?
    Furthermore, that quote of yours certainly does not come across as an opinion; it is stated very matter-of-factly, which is exactly why I replied in the first place. If you instead said "those who argue that you haven't got anything to hide then there's no issue, I disagree. I feel there is still an issue ..." I wouldn't have said anything (or, at the very least, my response would've been very different) because although I disagree with that opinion, it's still obviously an opinion.

5. stereoman

stereoman Master Guru

GPU:
    Palit RTX 3080 GPRO
    Fair enough let's agree to disagree, privacy and security is a huge issue as far as everyone is concerned. I still believe privacy is a human right and the US constitution and the Supreme court would back me up on that however I do think it is a balancing act and things are not as clear cut anymore and my post was a bit of a blanket statement so I understand your reaction. Also I think the subject is getting a little too political for these forums, not that it doesn't warrant discussion but political threads like this can get out of hand.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    They can go film themselves while f'ing themselves.

Because people are buying those stupid spy microphones disguised as TVs which are voice activated (Sony?), Alexas by the dozen, you name it.

7. BD2015

BD2015 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1080 Ti x2
    Holy generalizations, Batman. While I have to say it's pretty cool idea to have this sort of shared portal-like environment with some people. I would NEVER buy and use something like this. Simply because when it comes to tech - everything is a subject to abuse. And while this is not the extent of this gadget - I am curious - would you be ok with constant 100% surveillance?

8. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    There is a reason i blanked off the cameras on all my mobile devices.

9. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt

you are a very sweet and optimistic person.
    i sincerely doubt you have enough experience of the world to support your beliefs and i won't insult you by quoting P.T. Barnum

btw... this is exactly like some evil person looking at you. the evil is in the application, the convenience the product delivers is in no way different than a stranger offering candy. you have no idea of the motivation of the stranger who is following his own purposes, same with FB/ Alexa/ Siri/ Bixby.
    your desires are their monetization until they realize some of your activities are as well.

finally, what about intimacy?
    there is no off switch

10. Telemetry , Diagnostics , "Help us improve our services" , all for extremely daft user with "everything to gain" yet nothing to hide ... says the ignoramus to woke individuals "but if you've nothing to hide..." *scoffs* please by all means run around naked and share it with Facebook for all I care; haven't had an account with those fools since 2008. Or better yet - help them tamper in another election.

EDIT: I used to work there as you can tell by my disgruntled posts... lol :D on a lighter note ... I'm not against social media ... I may still have a twitter... not sure and no I didn't work there they just creep me out. Still - The history between the government and them (ironic considering Cambridge analytics etc Russia - really ironic) , their lack of concern for any semblance of cybersecurity... you could go on quite frankly it's a little disconcerting

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2018
    Serotonin likes this.

11. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
  12. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
  13. HAH! yes... alright I feel less ... echo chamber-ish ... kidding but yeah - right on @SerotoNiN & you probably just got a reply from the Facebook Community Standards Social Compliance Racial Bot rofl ... why have people when you can just automate hate speech policy enforcement - that's what bots are for (yeahhh) *sips on some chai tea*

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2018
    Serotonin likes this.
  14. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    God I hope that isn't a euphemism because if any company thought they could get away with sticking stuff in your 'private space' Facebook would be THAT company.

15. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    [​IMG]

16. BD2015

BD2015 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce GTX 1080 Ti x2
    @SerotoNiN: Ok, that's .. just .. a notch - out there.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  17. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    We should embrace such technology, yes. However, given Facebook's track record of having absolutely no concern for the security of their own "service" or the security of data collector from their users, this is not a company who's product should be embraced. Until Facebook proves that they take security seriously, which they so far have shown they believe security to be a joke, I can't recommend such a product so long as they're involved. Anyone who has kids should be avoiding any product from Facebook that contains a camera.

People who don't like this, are the type of parents that don't want others to have the ability to spy on their children. The kind of people who make statements like your's, are exactly the reason I refuse to have a product like this in my house. They're the type that want to spy on children.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  18. Killian38

Killian38 Guest

GPU:
    In my line of work I always have a camera on my private. What's the big deal?

19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I smell a lawsuit in the works. Since this is an invasion of privacy.

20. Too bad Facebook isn't a UK company ... thinking of the GDPR *did I get that right.. GDPR... * think I got that right... yeah I could Google it but using my memory is fun too plus no need to reference everything... Now - I get it probably affects companies to some extent in the US as to the business they conduct in the EU but - eh just spitballing here..

Anyways - I felt yours was a pragmatic post.