Reviews: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 (MSI Armor & ASUS Turbo)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 16, 2018.

1. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    There’s definitely one thing I’m learning from all the RTX card reviews, we need more games built on Vulkan, look at that RTX 2070 go in Wolfenstein, some big improvements there.

Biały Wilk, Robbo9999 and tunejunky like this.
  2. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    the 2070 is the only 20xx (to date) card that looks reasonable even though it's 10-15% too expensive.
    if someone has already invested in a g-sync monitor this is the way to go if you need a new card. my only real question is what happens to all of that performance when you have a ray tracing battle royale style game (that doesn't look like Pokemon)?
    will the fps drop or processing create lag?
    obviously at this price way more people will buy this as opposed to the 2080/ti

in any case, this is in no way shape or form a "nail in the coffin" for AMD, this was expected.
    AMD is focused on grabbing market share, and that's found up to this price, not above.
    as wonderful as "ti" cards are, they are a "Halo" product designed to make the entire line more desirable. and for Nvidia that's been working the last 10 years. AMD was in a far worse position before they released Polaris than they are now. and please remember, AMD is a larger company than Nvidia with fingers in far more pies.

Robbo9999 likes this.
  3. RavenMaster

RavenMaster Maha Guru

GPU:
    1x RTX 3080 FE
    So as far as raw performance goes, a 2080 is pretty much just a 1080ti and 2070 is just a 1080.

tunejunky and airbud7 like this.
  4. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    that's what i see.

Nice review.

tunejunky and RavenMaster like this.

5. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Something to remember though, this is done first release. Drivers and optimizations have not matured yet for Turing.

6. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    :eek: I never noticed it but I have almost the same setup used for testing here lol only have the X99 Deluxe MB different
    I even have the AX1200i that could have some problem but didn't anymore after a firmware update
    ahaha nice !

airbud7 likes this.
  7. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    I bet you could do 144hz with that GPU in F1 2018 at 1080p if you disable TAA. Very tempted to just pick up this card and be done with it. Also tired of waiting for empty Navi hype.

8. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Sadly as much as that would be lovely its all speculation at the moment as we don't know what these cards can do in a year or two's time, they could still be the same or we could see crazy improvements. i guess only time can tell that and how much Nvidia themselves work on such drivers if they are possible

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I basically wrote off any chance of getting a 2070 when seeing the 2080 review. Need at least 70% perf gain from any new card upgrade at a reasonable price. If the 2080s go down to $600 in a few months, may pick up one. Otherwise its the wait for 7nm.

tunejunky and Robbo9999 like this.
  10. kings

kings Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 980Ti / RX 580
    Turing architecture had a good improvement on Vulkan, RTX 2070 on Titan Xp level.

11. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    This is much better than I was expecting. With an overclock, it would pretty much beat a 1080 in every test (at least in 2K and lower) and its MSRP is $200 lower, while also including tensor cores (not that I really care about those all that much). It has roughly the same wattage as the 1070 (at least at stock clocks). Despite the 2080Ti being ludicrously expensive, this GPU is actually isn't all that bad. The only thing that really confuses me is why the 4K performance seems to suffer so drastically when compared to a 1080. That to me is a real turnoff, because I only intend to upgrade my GPU when I can find a well-priced GPU that can do 4K@60FPS (with AA off; I never use that anyway).

I'd like to see how AMD manages to respond to this. Being mostly a Linux user, I'd rather go with them if I can. By then, prices might come down a bit.

tunejunky likes this.
  13. msotirov

msotirov Guest

GPU:
    rx 480
    So, about equal or slightly better than Vega 64 but more expensive (at least in Europe). Makes the overpriced 1xxx series look cheap. Last Nvidia card with really good value was the 970.

AlmondMan likes this.
  14. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    What did I just say...
    I wish tech review websites would stop living in the MRSP dreamworld and consider ACTUAL market prices when giving a recommendation.
    Seriously, Youtube reviewers are starting to become the actual good source of information, while written reviews look more and more like paid advertising. Sad day.

15. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Thanks man I guess I really deserve such comments !

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    barely more powerfull then 1070ti? then again it look like it depend on the game, some games bvarely show 5 fps diffrence other 20fps i guess it subjective

17. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    You don't have to be here or read the article. Just watch it on youtube. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

18. PolishRenegade

PolishRenegade Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070
    Forget him, the review was very insightful and well done. We appreciate the time and effort you put into this and I value your word above many many other websites.

How can anyone give solid recommendation with worldwide price fluctuations, currency changes and availability.... simple; MRSP. That's the only constant - thinking a youtuber can do better is stupid.

tunejunky and schmidtbag like this.
  19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    also unless i remebering things from xx70 just had a 150$ price jump?

20. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    How exactly do you expect this to work? The market price in your country is not the same as it is in neighboring countries, or countries from other continents. It's not Nvidia's fault if a product isn't sold at the MSRP they specified, and it certainly isn't Hilbert's responsibility to change his perception based on the prices of a handful of countries that put a heavy tax on such products.

You remind me a lot of the people who whine about RX Vega availability. Just because your country doesn't have it in stock, that doesn't mean the product isn't worthy of attention. This is an internationally consumed website, and as such, Hilbert is doing a pretty good job at keeping a global perspective of things.

In other words, there is no "ACTUAL" market price, because it's different everywhere you go. Pretty much the sole purpose of the MSRP is to act as a reference point.

tunejunky, alanm and Fox2232 like this.