HBAO+ Compatibility Flags Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by MrBonk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    If you feel like messing with a hex editor , you might be able to fix it by adjusting the angle bias I think. Can't remember if that's the one that really helps with this effect.
    That or in combination with making the effect less strong. (Or look at my adjustments for Dead Rising and modify it to those values and see what it looks like. That and Tales of Zestiria. The parameters are the same in DX9/10/11)

FranciscoCL likes this.
  2. theroboxer

theroboxer Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070 Ti 8GB
    Does anyone know the flag for Dead or Alive 5: Last Round? I'm currently trying to find the right one but the game is free on steam in case someone wants to help. :)

3. Maillog

Maillog New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1050
    Flag work in Mad Max? SSAO is very bad

Sorry for my English

4. GuyFawkesGaming

GuyFawkesGaming Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB

5. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Not as far as I am aware. It usually has to be done per game. Even on same engine, they usually are set up differently enough to cause problems.

6. GuyFawkesGaming

GuyFawkesGaming Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB
    I just noticed you added the games to the list, unfortunately the names are wrong. First one is "Red Orchestra 2/Rising Storm" and second is "Rising Storm 2: Vietnam". Probably should have typed the full names in the first place.

7. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Ok. I'll fix it.

8. GuruKnight

GuruKnight Guest

GPU:
    2 x 980 Ti AMP! Ex
    @GuyFawkesGaming

0x00000030 will definitively not work for Rising Storm 2: Vietnam, since this game is DX11 only.
    The flag you suggest will only have an effect in DX9 titles.

9. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Care to take any A/B shots for either game anybody? I didn't really look too hard at the source links. Upon further inspection, the screenshots in the 2nd link don't seem to have AO applied and there aren't any screens in the Steam Guide..

10. Dweeb

Dweeb Guest

GPU:
    GTX680 4gb
    @MrBonk are you going to look into AA/AO for Resonance of Fate?

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    If the game is like the port for SO4 it will be bunk, because it will have limited resolution support (Which as far as I have heard it does) and it will be DX11. It also only seems to support a super aggressive Post Process AA option for AA as well.
    (When the original game, like SO4 supported MSAA with alpha coverage support for things like hair.).

AO may not be off the cards but AA will be disappointing.
    Yeah, DX11 only has the same option for PPAA as SO4 (Probably FXAA but no option for different presets here). Game uses a lot of dithering, so downsampling from 4k is your only option if you have a 1080p or 1440p monitor. If you have a 4k display you are out of luck.

Their idea of HD textures is lazy too. Like so many others seem to be doing these days, they just run everything through Waifu 2x and call it a day. And that nets you a total disk size of 83GB for the game.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  12. Dweeb

Dweeb Guest

GPU:
    GTX680 4gb
    Even after 4k downsampling there is a ton of aliasing in this game orz. Did they really upscale the textures just using waifu 2x though? That would be funny.

Was there an AO code for SO4 that I should try for this game? I couldn't find one when I looked yesterday.

13. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    It's pretty obvious they used something based on the same concept or design.
    In fact there's a new document (in Japanese of course) about the development of using deep learning to train an AI or NN on their research page. and inside are of course examples using it to upsample poor quality low res sources. Which of course has it's uses. But it's always used lazily to forgo having to do actual work on textures when used in games. (Another funny thing is when compression artifacts present in the sources they use manage to shine through and get emphasized by the upsampling. FFXII HD had a lot of this with the textures they used from the original game that clearly had a lot of dithering present. No one bothered to actually look at it and try to fix it before upsampling. Just lazy automated work.)
    http://research.tri-ace.com/

And yes there is a ton of aliasing. Lot of texture, shader aliasing and aliasing from the dithering used on lots and lots of transparent textures and no AtC to clean it up. The upscaled textures also include upscaled normals/speculars and such and in cases increase the amount of aliasing present.

http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/122653
    http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/122652|
    http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/122651

I never rebought SO4 (Simply because I wasn't going to play it then so I didn't want to waste the money. I also was hoping SE would patch some of the problems like they did with Chrono Trigger and that would warrant showing support. But they didn't. So I didn't). never tested for HBAO+ in that game.

Despite the problems here, I bought purely to support Tri-Ace self publishing a game. I might try a few things.

HBAO+ is a no go. No flag produces any effect.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  14. Dweeb

Dweeb Guest

GPU:
    GTX680 4gb
    That's the same reason I bought the game lol. There was an interview I read about the release that said they were going to look into making a sequel if this works out for them too.
    https://www.inside-games.jp/article/2018/10/17/118121.html

And yeah, FF12's "remastered" textures were a total joke. It's not nearly as bad in this game thankfully. Sucks about how locked down this port is though, especially compared to FF12.

Thanks for your time.

15. GuyFawkesGaming

GuyFawkesGaming Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 4GB
    Truth be told I don't own RS2: Vietnam; I stumbled upon the post when looking for RO2/RS1 flags and though you might want the flag (probably not my best idea). I can confirm the RO2 flag works though, flickers on some maps but can be stacked with in game AO.

16. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    No HBAO+ for Crash Bandicoot?

17. UZA

UZA Guest

GPU:
    1070 ti
    Thanks for all this information. This is so helpful but i have a lot of questions so can you please look at your PM if you have time.

18. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    any flags to works in metro exodus ??

19. brazzjazz

brazzjazz New Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 970Gaming4G
    I've been trying to get AO to work with Bioshock 2 Remastered, so far to no avail - not with 0x00020000, 0x00000023, 0x000002D (the two latter ones having been mentioned on another thread). I went into Nvidia Profile Inspector, used the AO compatibility flags, and set the two Ambient Occlusion settings further down to "On" and "High quality". What could be the reason that it hasn't worked? Do any settings in Bioshock2SP.ini have to be activated in order for AO to work, or is it irrelevant with a forced effect..? I wonder how AO can work since ReShade for instance has no depth buffer to work with, its own AO, called MXAO, does not work. Thanks.

20. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    I don't think I actually had the chance to test BS2R when I did that. Did you try with BS1??