Microsoft resolves issue with Windows 10 disappearing files

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 10, 2018.

1. scoter man1

scoter man1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070ti
    False alarm. He described the problem to me wrong. It was not windows fault, it was his.

2. Shaxuul

Shaxuul Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Everything I had archived in my C:\Users\(Me)\Downloads folder got deleted/erased after installing this. Pictures, media files, .PDFs, etc. that I've saved from the net the past year. My 'Documents' folder was NOT affected (as some users are reporting), just my Downloads folder, in particular.

Fortunately, I routinely back my stuff up -- including what got deleted. Still, it's obviously an inconvenience when your OWN operating system has deleted files without permission -- like a virus/worm. Goes without saying...

Another bug I've encountered after the update, is Microsoft Edge COMPLETELY REFUSES to connect to the internet now. I very rarely use Edge, but I noticed it now will NOT connect. Running the Troubleshooter, and reinstalling the latest Realtek ethernet drivers, did not fix it. No issues with FireFox or Chrome, though. Edge Was functioning fine prior to this update, now it is broken (along with people's patience).

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  3. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    I was one of the slow ones to move from Win 7 to Win 10 but sorry, you're wrong. Win 10 is the most stable, highest performing (including games) and best MS OS ever. You really need to move on. This was just one issue, nothing man makes is perfect. Win 7 is far from perfect too and has more issues than Win 10 in fact.

Why back it up when you can simply move the location of those folders to somewhere that isn't your C drive, effectively being backed up regardless? If you're still using default user folder locations, you must be a little bit inexperienced. I suggest doing what I've said, it makes life so much easier

4. Asgardi

Asgardi Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 980 Ti OC
    The irony is that only people who did what you described were affected by this in some cases. The problem was that if you redirected your documents or pictures libraries to another drive and still left stuff to the old default folders, those got deleted because you told windows that it is not the place where you want to store your stuff. And if you still did...

Not saying this isn't a serious bug, but ironically only users "being smart" could be affected :)

5. Sneakybob

Sneakybob Member

GPU:
    Asus RX480
    I downloaded and installed the "Dreaded" update, fortunately I didn't have any problems with lost files, I did however encounter another problem that was of major significance to me. After launching and playing Fortnite Battle Royale, my internet connection became intermittently terrible, so much so that for several seconds the game became unplayable with framerates dropping as low as 10, as I say this was intermittent but would occur several times during the course of gameplay, I tried everything that I could think of to rectify this but to no avail, fortunately, I was able to roll back to the last build which solved my problem, my pc has since downloaded a new update, "2018-10 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64-based Systems (KB4462919)" which I am holding back on installing in case I get a similar problem.
    Was wondering if anyone else had experienced a similar issue.