Microsoft can recover lost files Windows 10 October 2018 Update - But You Need To Call Them

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    This could be very bad if for example like me you don't allow games to use cloud saves and stuff. An example would be for me Rocket League for one. The whole games items and levels would be lost totally if i lost my docs folder. I do keep a back up of my Game saves on a 3rd HDD just in case of HDD failure and i keep updating it manually every time i get new stuff.

For some reason i just hate Cloud Saving stuff but i'm starting to realize that i might have to bite a bullet and start using that method of saving.

2. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Someone at MS: "see? you would not have had a problem if you used OneDrive"

3. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    We wrote...When did I start writing for GURU3D? ;)

4. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Can confirm the 17763.55 does NOT break the current ucode incompatibility fix (replacing the .dll) with some processors. At least there is that.

5. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    I would expect them to pay me for the damage, but reading the EULA, it seems that even that their OS deleted your files, it's not their fault, but yours.
    Why use Windows 10 and pay for a licence and agree on aa EULA who just doesn't give a damn about you?
    Maybe learning something new has all the reason in the world nowadays.
    C'mon Gaben, show us the new way, release from evil and gives us a gaming capable Linux distro.

6. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    With Gaben you'd have Source OS version 2...and...(fukc is that a grey hair) and...and...Half Life 3 confirmed....;)

7. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    so a guy from some callcenter will ask you to install teamviewer and he will proceed to use recuva or some other app to try and get the files back, on 120gb ssd laptops I would expect the success rate to be around 10% after days of usage ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

8. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Same BS, different year. If there's ever a new Windows version, it'll just happen again, and again, and again, always the same BS.

TheDeeGee likes this.
  9. Krakkan

Krakkan Member

GPU:
    Merc 310 7900 XTX
    They did fire their entire test team...
    Only insiders now, most of those are probably kids and normal users with little testing knowledge, even if someone accurately reports or identifies big problems, Microsoft will conveniently miss them every time before one of these updates...
    Seems like a fricking mess huh

10. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    Remember Anniversary update and lost partitions? Microsoft apparently loves to delete stuff :D

11. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Recovering data from ssd in software way? Is it even possible in any way except dedicated labs, dedicated hardware and tons of advanced stuff like reverse engineering of ssd controllers?

My biggest reason to not install ssd ever is, from my knowledge, total lack of possibilities to recover lost data from ssd in home environment.

12. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Unlikely they can actually recover files, may be give people a one time use licience for some pro recovery software.

13. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Some jokes write themselves.

carnivore and fantaskarsef like this.
  14. kieron fleming

kieron fleming Member

GPU:
    gtx 1080ti
    Windows 10 has been quite flawless you guys just whinge a lot.

TheDeeGee and Aura89 like this.
  15. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    It isn't flawliess, you just have a high tolerance for its quirks.

carnivore, sverek and austin865a like this.

16. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Every OS ever has never been flawless, they have all had their degrees of issues, both severe, and not severe, throughout base OS version, small patches, major patches, servicepacks, etc. Doesn't matter if it's windows, android, iOS, linux variants, etc.

The difference is, people forget the previous patch/OS/etc. problems of operating systems they ultimately liked, such as XP or 7, or don't pay attention to the issues, such as android or iOS. But when it comes to microsoft, they don't get the same luxury.

This is a people problem, not a microsoft problem.

It's very similar to how people have such an uproar when there's something wrong with a release of an AMD processor, even if minor, as if Intel has flawless releases, and when pointed out, they say some nonsense like "well i never had an issues so it must not have been an issue!"

People like to make fun of and be angry at microsoft, they wish for something better, of which there is none, and they like to believe the grass is greener on the other side and that they know more then they actually do about how OS's work. It's like when people think they have been wronged legally, all of the sudden, everyone is a lawyer, or knows a lawyer, and they will be the doom of whatever company they think has done them wrong. It's quite sad really, but obviously, this is why it's a people problem.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2018
  17. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Tell that to people who lost their files. Or you telling its their fault for using Windows10?

Oh wait, you just trolling. My bad.

18. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    To say it's a problem with the end user is quite naive, This is happening because of Microsoft's forced update / upgrade stance with Windows 10, the average user has no control of their own personal computer because they do not know any better, the average user has to deal with whatever ramifications Microsoft's forced update / upgrade does to their Personal Computer, the fault lies with Microsoft.

sverek likes this.
  19. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti

Absolutely. I have to work hard not to fall victim to this myself. Folks who participate on tech forums are inherently more knowledgeable than the general public. That doesn't mean, we do not get our share of nubbins. In fact we should encourage more of them. Otherwise forums get stale and wither. But therein lies the tension, an 'OS for Dummies' while fine for the masses seems to be an anathema to enthusiasts. Too some extent this was mitigated with different versions of the OS that actually had meaningful differences. Now it's basically if you can use GPedit or not.

carnivore, lucidus and KissSh0t like this.
  20. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    My brother’s work laptop was affected too. Oh boy. I’ll install ltsb on his personal machine soon.