Microsoft can recover lost files Windows 10 October 2018 Update - But You Need To Call Them

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Oct 9, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Plot twist... they will tell you that you lost files due to something less than legal on your system :D
    And they will kindly ask you to stop piracy.

3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Wow... I'd love to have the recordings of those calls... "But Sir, you do not own a genuine license. I can't help you with your lost files." :D

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Boss, get some coffee XD

TheDeeGee, mbk1969 and fantaskarsef like this.

5. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I just did, and yes it helps ;)

TheDeeGee, chispy, airbud7 and 2 others like this.
  6. G0dly

G0dly Member

GPU:
    1080 TI
    This may seem unusual but I have lots of stuff in my Documents but it's not actually where I store my most important things. I have no idea if anything has been deleted with this update, would it be obvious and everything would be missing or should I be running an a file recovery anyway?

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    The folder would've been nuked if you suffered from the bug. If your files are present, you're good.

I've read from comments that they're just telling you to restore from a backup. Calling MS would be a waste of time. There's literally nothing they can do anyway unless they have a store app to restore files (that probably won't work anyway lol). You'll need software like recuva.

8. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Yea I was gonna say, what could they tell you over the phone that they could not write in a blog with links to files you needed to recover with?

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It is PR trick. Masses will think that they are taking care of problem. But there is nothing solid on paper which would prove otherwise.

10. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Yeah, but heres the real twist...

In order for you to be able to call and get "support" one needs to have an official version of windows and not OEM. Now......how many people do we know of that are as crazy as this guy to spend money on something that was legitimately free??

I mean has anyone in here tried to do anything of the sort and contact them?? Because that has always been the issue with MS and their phone support. OEM gets NONE while official license purchasers get it all.

I don't mind buying my official garbage just for that reason alone.

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    It's good thing I ditched Windows last month, because I'm 90% sure I'd have been affected by this data loss.

For the most part I agree with your point, but I figured I'd just highlight that getting a copy of Windows from an OEM isn't free, in the same sense that music you hear on the radio isn't free.

12. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Win 7 FTW! :p

BetA, airbud7 and austin865a like this.
  13. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Did you ever update to 10 in the end? IIRC you always refused to even get yourself a DL :D

Rich_Guy likes this.
  14. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I am still baffled by how Microsoft can have such a huge issue go unnoticed until the update is released to the public. It is honestly ridiculous and just affirms the belief that Windows 10 Users (me included) are basically beta testers, while those on fast & slow ring (On the Windows Insider Program) are pretty much Alpha build testers.

carnivore likes this.
  15. Rich_Guy

Rich_Guy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070S X-Trio
    Nope :D

airbud7 and Extraordinary like this.

16. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    big patch like this always create restore point right ?
    so it all files from previous version should be on windows.old folder ?

luckily my rig i didnt effected by the bug, so i am not sure
    but right now i check the folder, it didnt backup my documents/image/video files

if the file really removed, the only possible is something like "piriform-recuva" basically scan the sector
    the files that deleted arent really deleted, unless you overwrite the sector (so basically the system just hide the files from user to see/access)
    i believe that the reason they telling to limit usage, so removed sector remain intact, so the apps can recover it

17. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    I dont care what I've lost and never even looked. Anything remotely important will have copies in multiple places.

18. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    I thought I would never say this but MICROSOFT as a company needs to die off. THe only thing that keeps them afloat and haven't fuc*** up is their XBOX consoles.

carnivore likes this.
  19. WareTernal

WareTernal Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 7800 XT
    I had the same thought initially, but there is another side.
    We have no idea the percentage of PC's that were affected by this - we know many people had no problems.
    Many Windows users are their own PC's worst problem.
    Many users apply 3rd party hacks to try to modify Windows' behavior.
    Microsoft cannot test against every possible PC configuration in use.
    Some websites make money by posting sensational content, even if there are few facts available.(Consider the number of stories about Spectre/Meltdown vs. the number of reports of real world attack using those techniques.)
    Some sites publish stories like this, without providing any real specific information, which forces Microsoft to react just in case, and then those sites use the reaction to write another story(still with no specifics), and keep the ball rolling.
    I would prefer if things like this didn't happen, but I also see that certain people have more than their share of problems, and it's always someone else's fault...

20. Extraordinary

Extraordinary Guest

GPU:
    ROG Strix 1080 OC
    Improvements and fixes
    This update includes quality improvements. No new operating system features are being introduced in this update. Key changes include:

• Addresses an issue affecting group policy expiration where an incorrect timing calculation may prematurely remove profiles on devices subject to the "Delete user profiles older than a specified number of day.”
    • Security updates to Windows Kernel, Microsoft Graphics Component, Microsoft Scripting Engine, Internet Explorer, Windows Storage and Filesystems, Windows Linux, Windows Wireless Networking, Windows MSXML, the Microsoft JET Database Engine, Windows Peripherals, Microsoft Edge, Windows Media Player, and Internet Explorer.