PowerPC returns to the desktop...?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by user1, Oct 6, 2018.

1. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
  2. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Really this is still server market, and not your every day file, SQL, AD or media server. So the form factor maybe a desktop class, but usage still most likely will be number crunching and simulations. Although cool to see this in a considerable small form factor!

3. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Read the article yesterday. Sounds great, for sure it will not come as cheap as they say.
    Not that I don't trust what they say, but a real competitor who has to develop/design free open for firmware without proprietary blobs... that's a big task
    I mean I want thus very much, but I think that it will be costly.
    Let's wait and see.

4. Amigafan35

Amigafan35 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080TI FE
    Better than the Amiga, nah, the Amiga is the best computer ever made :), would still be using My A1200 if I had the room to set it all up again. Been looking into Amiga towers with ppc boards, prices are a tad high though.

f14dude and pimpernell like this.

5. Amigafan35

Amigafan35 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX1080TI FE
    Your missing the point, saying that to a true Amiga Enthusiast means absolutely nothing lol, My current rig is way faster than any Amiga I could ever buy now but that's not the point of owning one for an Amiga fan like myself, clearly your not one but there's plenty others like me out there, just look how big the Amiga scene still is & it's growing with even new hardware being released all the time.

6. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    What year is it again?

[btw definitely missing the old emoticons, there were so many to choose from :(]

7. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    HW without SW is a big piece of paperweight... My PC is the fastest Amiga I own via WinUAE and I can run multiple instances of it at the SAME time.

If this new PPC has a fully utilized OS, then maybe... Maybe port STEAMOS to get it started...

8. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Common distros of linux already support powerpc, like ubuntu, debian, fedora, rhel.

as for Steam never gonna happen, you could build steam os for PPC relatively easily, problems is no modern games are compiled for PPC, you'd need to either recompile everything(basically impossible), or make a translation layer to emulate x86 , which would likely be very slow, though the opposite has been done before.

9. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    old school interpreter based emulation is extremely slow, works for dos games that ran on 50mhz cpus, but trying to do that with modern applications is not feasible, the only software that has done something like this for pc that was widely used , was rosetta during apple's the ppc to x86 transistion, allows ppc apps to run on x86, that and PearPC both of which have a pretty bad performance hit . the only thing that i think could make such a thing feasible would be a lle recompiler approach used by emulators like Dolphin.

10. Valken

Valken Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Forsa 1060 3GB Temp GPU
    I know AAA games probably won't work. No GTA on AmigaOS but a lot of the steam games are ARM or mobile ports. Perhaps those can be recompiled for the Amiga... Would be a benefit for that or any platform.

If you build it, they will come.

11. f14dude

f14dude Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Ventus 3X
    I wonder if something like that will work with AmigaOS. I have been looking into something in terms of inexpensive hardware that will load AmigaOS. Still, not sure I want to spend over 1k just for some sort of machine to demo the OS. Will keep looking around I guess.