New intel microcode update KB4100347 kills Broadwell-E overclock.

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by HeavyHemi, Sep 18, 2018.

1. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    You kidding, right? Haven't received BIOS updates to either Meltdown or Spectre for the R5E or R5E USB3.1 version. And those boards were not really cheaper than your board. :D
    Asus took a good sh*t on their customers this way. Maybe you'rs gets an update, but I wouldn't count on Asus and supporting hardware not from last or the generation before it.

Maddness likes this.
  2. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    That is what I meant by I won't be holding my breath. I did read up on how the R5E didn't get the update. I don't expect Asus to do anything.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    My bad, read your comment just the other way around. Sorry! :)

Maddness likes this.
  4. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    All good. I should have worded it better.

5. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    It really sucks that Asus don't update their BIOS to the X99 platform :eek:... or EVGA for that matter. I will look into Gigabyte and ASRock if they have new microcodes.

MSI wrote to me that the new Intel Microcode was implemented into all X99 BIOS versions from June 2018, so users shouldn't experience any issues.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
    Maddness likes this.
  6. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    I checked some Gigabyte board and it is not all boards that have a new Intel microcode BIOS update available.
    Heres a handfull of Gigabyte boards that I checked have the latest Intel microcode BIOS update to download.
    GA-X99P-SLI
    GA-X99-SOC Champion
    GA-X99-UD3
    GA-X99M-Gaming 5
    GA-X99-Designare EX
    GA-X99-Ultra Gaming
    GA-X99-UD4P
    GA-X99-SLI
    GA-X99-Phoenix SLI
    GA-X99-UD5 WIFI

As for ASRock all X99 boards should have updated Intel microcodes ready for download. These boards I have checked have new BIOS microcode updates.
    X99 Extreme3
    X99 Extreme4
    X99 Extreme6
    X99 WS
    X99 OC Formula/3.1
    X99 Taichi
    Fatal1ty X99 Professional/3.1
    X99 Extreme11
    Fatal1ty X99M Killer
    Fatal1ty X99X Killer

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  7. Acp11

Acp11 Guest

GPU:
    gtx 980 ti
    I also did the MSI new bios update for my x99 gaming pro carbon and indeed the OC works again after the new bios and updated Windows Fall creator

8. rebel14788

rebel14788 Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti LIGHTNING Z
    i have Asus Rampage v edition 10 - intel 6850k as mentioned before and now im on win 10 version 1803 and i could just bring my overclocking back to life By removing the Kb4100347 update already 1 week ago And now im stock with >> windows 10 version 1803 (OS BUILD 17134.286) [with all auto updates Disabled]
    AND NOW i really want to clean install the new win 10 RS5 october update version 1809 build 17763.1 on my system AND IM NOW SO FUKING SCARED TO DO SO
    i dont want to see that nightmare again and this hell process of mcupdate.dll wtffkk .. does it mean that from now on we should go and delete that crap ??? with every big feauture update or any sfc/scan now and upcoming versions and builds of win10 ??? HOLLY FUK .... and still no serious reaction and responses from all companies??TO FIX THIS FKIN BIG PROBLEM?!! ??? i meann...wow....somebody helpp here

9. rebel14788

rebel14788 Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti LIGHTNING Z
    PS:
    PS: @Agent-A01 : hi there,what do u mean by updating MCU on your bios ? is there a way to get rid of this microocode update even when its integrated into os ? or like editing the OS installation file and delete the update from the source ISO file before installing the new october version ?

10. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    If microcode on bios is the same version or newer than one included in OS than the OS microcode is not loaded.
    That's why bios update fixes the issue

11. rebel14788

rebel14788 Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti LIGHTNING Z
    but back when i had this "kb4100347 MICROCODE" on my os and i was affected by that microcode MY NEW BIOS INSTALATION FAILED DURING INSTALLATION IN BIOS AND I LOST 1 OF MY BIOSES [to inform you with asus rampage v edition 10 bios versions Mine was version:1503 and the latests is version:1902 which FAILED DURING INSTALLATION and it surley seems that microcode blocked the update process,maybe] ?
    this is rampage v edition 10 bios/utitlities page >> https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-RAMPAGE-V-EDITION-10/HelpDesk_Download/
    and now i have just my second bios left and i dont know what to do actually im afraid of updating it and get my last living bios corrupted AND WE DONT EVEN KNOW THAT EVEN THE LATEST BIOS SOLVES THIS MICROCODE ISSUE OR NOT !!!!

what should i do ?

12. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    The latest MCU does fix it, I've already tested it.

Secondly, you'll want to update your bios with USB flashback, it will fix broken/failed BIOS flashes.
    The OS cannot affect a BIOS level update, so nothing is 'blocking' your BIOS from being updated.

Lastly, ASUS does not have latest microcode in their BIOS, if you want your BIOS updated with latest microcode you have to manually do it.

rebel14788 and Maddness like this.
  13. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Have you tried bios flashback on the failed flashed chip. Also, i'm running the latest 1902 bios and it doesn't help at all with overclocking when the KB4100347 is installed. Asus needs to sort this at there end. Either that or disable updates or live without overclocking moving forward.

rebel14788 likes this.
  14. rebel14788

rebel14788 Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti LIGHTNING Z
    By MCU you mean cpu microcode right ?
    i havent tried bios flashback on my corrupted bios chip after i removed the kb4100347 microcode BUT before that i tried it 1000 times and the broken bios didnt update through FLASHBACK process and it didnt come back to life but i will try it now again and will report back

and about the OS affecting a BIOS level update u mentioned i have to ask so what has blocked the update process other than the microcode within the cpu back that moment ? because iv never faced a FAILED Bios update in the middle of its process!!!
    AND WOW Really? How can i manually edit my bios and add latest microcode to ?into the bios file ?and is it completley safe ?and hey hey why do u say latest microcode solves the kb4100347 issue?isnt the new microcode that comes with win update or from anywhere else Our Main issue ? so how ?oh im confused alittle sorry

15. rebel14788

rebel14788 Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti LIGHTNING Z
    so you have the asus board like me ?and damn that bios 1902 didnt install succesfully on my board and left me with 1 corrupted bios untill now and now u say that it doesnt help the overclock issue that comes with the kb4100347 thats crap , and hey we cant live without overclocking our systems Right ?:) i have disabled auto updates already but i want the new win 10 october and i have to Find a way to get rid of this oc block issue forever with the Help of our Pro and talented friend Agent-A01 hopefully

16. Gripen90

Gripen90 Guest

GPU:
    2x RTX 2080Ti SLi
    I got this from another forum, where an Asus x99 user also had the OC issue. However to OC he did this:
    "Waiting for a correction from Asus, or Intel, or Microsoft, i solved by using a different oc :
    I was 100x44 multiplier and this "bug" puts me in 100x37.
    So i set in the bios 125x35 and i run at 4375 without problems.
    It seems a microcode bug about multiplier
    ."

17. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    That is correct. I decided to fix it myself. I found the instructions on the Asus Forums for updating the bios microcode. I'm very surprised at just how easy this was. I edited the 1902 bios, updated it and now my overclock has returned running the KB4100347 update.

18. rebel14788

rebel14788 Guest

GPU:
    1080 Ti LIGHTNING Z
    So! can you provide me with the instructions you have found ? isnt any risk to do that ?in terms of stability ? and when did u do that?

19. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    https://www.win-raid.com/t154f16-Tool-Guide-News-quot-UEFI-BIOS-Updater-quot-UBU.html

All you need is UBU v1.70.rc12.3 and MMTool V5.2.0.24. Cange the name of MMTool V5.2.0.24 to just MMTool or UBU won't recognise it. You make a folder in C: drive. Download the latest bios 1902 or any bios you wish to update. Extract both UBU and MMTool as they are zipped up. In the folder right click the UBU.bat and run as administrator. It will do its thing extracting the bios, then you can update the microcode by pressing 5 and then enter. You then press C. After choosing M to update press 0 to exit. It's all automated. Press 0 again to exit the program and then press 1 to rename to Asus bios flashback. Then copy that bios in the file it's named R5E10.cap to a usb drive. Place it in the flashback usb on the motherboard and hold down the usb flashback button for 3 seconds. That is all you have to do.

rebel14788 likes this.
  20. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    If that sounds to hard for you I can email my updated bios I used. You can flash it to the bios that isn't currently not working on your board. I have run tests on this and it's very stable for me @4.4ghz It's up to you. Also on the above instructions you can update the Lan, that is all automated and the Raid controllers (that you will need to download the correct file for that one first) I left that one alone myself as I don't bother with Raid anymore since SSD's came out.

rebel14788 likes this.