MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    No problem, I use this setting to avoid the downclock when using NVENC (not a CUDA application but it uses this anyway, go figure) and haven't had any issues with it, but obviously it's on by default for good reason, and while I suspect that reason is mostly so that there are no errors when doing physics simulations for rocket science (read: killing people) those errors might effect you too, so just be aware of this.... But since we're not building rockets I think you'll be OK ;)

cookieboyeli likes this.
  2. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

Nope, that's not a right place to ask about it because OC scanner is a proprietary NVIDIA's technology. And it is CUDA compute based so it is expected and normal.

3. Unwinder

The reason is that I don't randomly take the limits from my head and NVIDIA driver itself is reporting the maximum allowed offset value.

4. ZAMHome

ZAMHome New Member

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming 24G
    Driver Nvidia 416.16
    Win10 17763.1
    GTX 1080Ti
    AB - 4.6.0. Beta 9.
    No video recording.
    During the test - an error.
    [​IMG]

5. Unwinder

Confirmed, reproduced it on my side, thanks for reporting. I'm not sure yet if NVENC API actually changed for release 416 or it is some driver bug. So no promises to fix it from my side or fix ETA yet.

ZAMHome likes this.
  6. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Related to this maybe?

[​IMG]

7. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    It may be of interest to you in order to give your OC scanner an 'edge' over other implementations - there are API calls to prevent CUDA applications from entering P2 state. You could call this before the scan starts and then return to normal afterwards, rather than the permanent modification I suggested above. I've used nvidia-smi to do this in the past, sorry I don't remember much detail.
    I don't really care anyway the RTX cards are too expensive for me, but I thought it might be worth mentioning.

8. @Unwinder Hi! I've a little question for you. The actual build of Afterburner is compatible with the new Windows 10 RS5? I didn't tryed yet, but I would like to know if there are issues for the basic features as manual overclocking and OC scanner.

Thanks in advance for

9. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    I've been having issues with Steam/Uplay + AB OSD running at the same time, as in Steam/Uplay overlay is not working while AB OSD is active. This only happens in Assassin's Creed Odyssey. Played through AC Origins a month ago and had no overlay issues.

Only had it happen before in Wildlands as it had something to do with the anti-cheat system iirc (but it got patched), you think it might be the same now?

Using AB v4.6.0.13338 Beta 9 & RTSS v7.2.0.18726 Beta 5.

10. Unwinder

Nope, unrelated, preset config is retrieved before creating bitstream buffer.

11. Unwinder

I don't feel it is a good idea at all to forcibly distort NVIDIA's native running environment for their scanner implementation.

CaptaPraelium likes this.
  12. Unwinder

Please read above, the only known RS5 compatibility issue is related to GPU usage monitoring on AMD GPU and it is mentioned on the previous page of this thread.

13. Unwinder

Questions related to not working Uplay overlay shoud be asked in Uplay forums, sorry.

14. CaptaPraelium

CaptaPraelium Guest

GPU:
    Agreed. As I said, this can make the memory more error prone and as far as I'm aware the entire concept is that it checks for errors on computation. Seems like it could be a bad idea for a proper OC scan. I can only see that it would return errors and give a lower OC than intended, but still...

Besides, it is generally recommended to overclock the memory after the GPU, so I guess the memory should be at stock clocks during the OC scan (again, the "native running environment"), and then OC the VRAM after the GPU.

The only issue with this is the same as previous incarnations of GPUBoost - the memory OC causes higher power draw which causes the GPU to clock lower... But, that's just the way the cards are designed and not an issue with AB or the new scanner so it's not really ontopic here.

15. Unwinder

I've been contacted by Bastian @ BattlEye yesterday on this issue. Your guess is correct, currently BE is closing any tool including AB if it is using user mode MMIO for low-level GPU access. We're discussing it now and will see what can be improved. For now the only option is switching low-level hardware access interface to kernel mode in AB properties for such games, if BattlEye is closing MSI AB for you. BTW, it is not happening for everyone, NVIDIA users do not need low-level hardware access at all as NVAPI provides absolutely everything that any OC tool may need. Low-level mode is only used on AMD systems to implement some things like voltage control and extended GPU monitoring, which are not exposed by AMD ADL API.

fantaskarsef and Tomatone like this.

16. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    I know it's not AB's fault, but every time I upgrade I get an access denied, couldn't write RTCore64.sys error. But obviously I've closed MSI AB... so how?
    I know this might seem trivial but hey an error is an error, the less there are the better. A clean fast install under all circumstances is better.

Yes I can uninstall it and then install the new version, I have no problem with that. But to put it bluntly a lot of people aren't that smart enough to figure that out (I'll be honest I didn't think of it at first either - too obvious for my style... haha).

I don't have any input on solving whatever the problem is causing access denied for that specific file, but perhaps the installer should recommend uninstalling before upgrading to divert as many people as possible to that path. The uninstaller mentions uninstalling before upgrading like it's an expected choice, but you don't see that unless you've already started uninstalling.

17. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Probably still in use, try deleting it manually and it might even show which service or program is currently holding it and then that could be closed and restarted although a system reboot works too. :)
    (I tend to restart sihost.exe and applicationframehost.exe as the two most likely to still refuse to unload the file after a few minutes.)

18. Tomatone

Tomatone Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Steel Legend
    Thanks for information Alexey.

19. Unwinder

Who said that MSI AB is holding it? System security related apps that verify and temporary block writes to driver files normally doing that.

20. ultraex2003

ultraex2003 Master Guru

GPU:
    Amd 2x290 Cfx
    4.6.0 beta 9 + rtss 7.2.0 beta 5
    win 10 pro (skip ahead) 18252 build
    today i try rise of the tomb raider and deus ex (dx 12 in game mode) i dont have any osd
    dx 11 mode is ok.. any tip ;;