External Gsync monitor on Laptop with Nvidia GPU, will it work ?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Fifka, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Fifka

Fifka Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080OC
    Hey there, im planning to buy Monitor with Gsync inside, but i wonder if it will work with my Laptop (Medion Erazer x7841) with Nvidia 970m.

Would really appreciate help from anybody that had experience with stuff like this, thanks in advance.

2. Fifka

Fifka Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080OC
  3. Fifka

Fifka Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080OC
    Yea seems it will work, well I have ordered Acer predator XB241H 24inch monitor with gsync, let's hope it will work, thanks for your help much appreciated.

4. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    G-Sync only works through DisplayPort. It doesn't work through anything else.

Fifka likes this.

5. Fifka

Fifka Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080OC
    Yes I am aware of that, the thing is I am not sure if my mini display ports in laptop are directly connected to my Nvidia GPU, couldn't find any straight information about it in Google. Thus why I came here to ask if anyone experienced with it had it working.

6. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Laptop GSync with external monitors works IF the GPU is Discrete. If you have an Optimus/MSHYBRID system, and it doesn't have a muxer to disable the Intel graphics, then the system will not support GSync.

Since you say it's advertised as supporting GSync, you should have a toggle in whatever control app your system came with to toggle DISCRETE/MSHYBRID modes. If not, you should have a toggle in the BIOS menu. An easy way to tell if the NV graphics are in Discrete mode is to check the NVCP. If you have a full menu with all the options listed, then you're in Discrete mode. If the NVCP only has a couple of entries on the menu, then you're in MSHybrid.

Fifka likes this.
  7. Fifka

Fifka Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080OC
    Yes i have MSHYBRID, and i've already set it to DISCRETE since a couple of weeks now and i don't see iGPU in device manager anymore.

So from my understanding if i have it on DISCRETE as i have it right now, i should not worry for the GSYNC to work.

8. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Correct, you are good to go. Discrete mode works as if you don't have Optimus at all. So your DisplayPorts will recognize GSync monitors and operate accordingly. All you need now is a nice mini-DisplayPort 1.4 to DisplayPort cable.

If you want more GPU power, then your upgrade path is to use a desktop card via eGPU setup with your Thunderbolt 3 port. (Assuming you have Thunderbolt 3)

Fifka likes this.
  9. Fifka

Fifka Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080OC
    Thanks for your help that's the information i needed, now just need to wait for the monitor to come, and test it.

edit: Does it have to be DisplayPort 1.4 cabel or just normal Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort, which i saw today at local retail.

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    The cable that comes with the monitor will work fine. All g-sync monitors come with a suitable DisplayPort cable.

11. Fifka

Fifka Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080OC
    The Acer Predator xb271h Monitor i ordered have only DisplayPort Cable inside (no mini), so i would need to buy either adapter, or a new cable, Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort.

12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Oh, oops. I don't know then.

13. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    .......the motherboard's HDMI port(s) will only support 60 Hz and will run with Intel Graphics only and NOT with nVidia...... although it has USB type-C that supports 144Hz, G-Sync will not work! ;)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  14. Fifka

Fifka Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080OC
    but i have external monitor over HDMI, and works perfectly fine with Nvidia GPU.

15. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    although it has USB type-C that supports 144Hz, G-Sync will not work!

SUPPORTED GPUs for G-Sync

Do not confuse with the laptop monitor itself and with an external monitor.

Here , you will see that Gsync is supported but not the case through motherboard's external ports.:)

.........to be simple:
    your laptop routes external displays through the iGPU and thus will never support G Sync

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018

16. Fifka

Fifka Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080OC
    But i have my iGPU disabled, and only Nvidia Card is working, and even when i had both enabled, my HDMI output was put through NVIDIA GPU not the iGPU.

17. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Mini displayport is the same pin-out as regular displayport, they are electrically the same.

18. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    @Caesar @Fifka : Systems with iGPU and dGPU with a muxer route the external ports through the dGPU. Case in point, my PowerSpec 1710 (Clevo PA70HS-G) does this. You may have some output limitations as far as Hz goes do to possible iGPU limitations when in Hybrid mode.

Systems with a muxer totally disable the iGPU when in discrete mode.

Fifka's laptop only has mini-DP ports, so he'll need a mini-DP to DP cable for his external monitor for GSync support. And yes, I've used external GSync monitors with my laptop so I know it works.

Geryboy likes this.
  19. Fifka

Fifka Active Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 2080OC
    Hey guys quick update, monitor just arrived, and G-Sync is working as expected, can close the thread, and thanks again for all the help to everybody that contributed.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    yasamoka and Geryboy like this.
  20. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Great! Now you can learn how to make the most out of it by making sure you're staying within g-sync range:

https://www.blurbusters.com/gsync/gsync101

It's 14 pages, but worth reading, especially the pages on frame limiting :D