Windows 10 October Update - 1809 is live !

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by chispy, Oct 3, 2018.

1. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    It could be the hidden updater named Update Orchestrator, there is a task scheduler for it, and off the top of my head there should be an executable located in...... Just windows folder I think "C:\WINDOWS\".. named "UpdateAssistant"... I'm not on 10 at the moment so I'm unable to check for sure, but from my past experiences with 10 after turning off Windows Update, Microsoft has this update orchestrator in place to bypass windows update.

2. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    On what version of windows? I'm on 1803 and it hasn't come back since after using wushowhide.

3. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    Windows 10 Pro (x64) 1803-17134.320. However I just got an 0xc1900130 error message when the WU installation completed.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
  4. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I've just installed the 1809 on my laptop. Now any Windows Store apps and Edge can't connect to the Internet (Chrome, Firefox and any old-school Applications can without issues, however). Not sure how to fix it. Another big mess from MS.

Also, Automatic Driver Updates can't be disabled (at least the old way) anymore. Even DDU doesn't seem to be able to disable them successfully and Windows installs some ancient video card drivers every time.

5. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Yes, there is a major issue with 1809. UWP engine have broken networking. Judging by Insider forums it's been there since few months already, but was totally ignored by Microsoft. What's the point of all Insider program?

6. ATOJAR

ATOJAR Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750 XT Red Devi
    Installed just this morning, smooth install, not a single issue.

7. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
  8. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    I think I won't rush now.

I installed it but then returned back to rs4, is that event log error fixed or still numerous warnings every min? Something about user profile and dcom conflicts..

9. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    That's not how it works. You can sit on old windows for very long time. Never enable windows update.
    Then you download iso which skips few releases. Does not really matter as long as ISO contains newer version of windows.

Mount directly via windows => Run setup => Update and Keep my data.
    It switches windows binary completely and old ones are in windows.old directory.
    This kind of update has no issues as it does not care about any files you have, no dependencies as everything is exchanged.
    It is practically clean installation which kept all your custom applications, user data, registry...

10. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    So if I were to set Windows updates to "off" in the settings, isn't that really just a placebo slider that does nothing? Windows seems to reset settings quite a bit with 10 (my biggest gripe). The Windows updates are bigger threats to me than not being "up to date" on security flaws.

airbud7 likes this.

11. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I guess:
    blackbird -u = Enable/Disable auto-installation of Windows updates / Sets to manual download and install only.
    Then maybe metered connection settings.

12. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Cool. I dont mind installing this update, i trust microsoft it will not blow my computer and impregnate my woman.

airbud7 and blitz72 like this.
  13. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    How to get rid of that?

[​IMG]

14. RzrTrek

RzrTrek Guest

GPU:
    -
    [​IMG]

I don't know how to describe the feeling, but logging into 1809 for the first time felt wrong. Edge was literally showed down my throat.

Also Windows Update still pushes AMD 17.1.1 which seems kind of weird.

However now that it's done, time to customize the sheathz out of my system and install a few games.

My installation took ~12 minutes from boot (3 restarts) to completion installing from USB to M.2 with 7600K @ 4.7GHz.

15. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    I feel like bricking my system, so I'm manually updating to it since my regular Windows update is stuck in "frack you I'm installing broken drivers to break your sound card no matter what you set, and some Razer drivers for some reason even though you currently have no Razer devices connected" mode. That's an interesting mode, Microsoft.

I'll let you guys know the list of things which break if my system can still boot.

Edit: Jesus Christ this update is taking forever. It feels like it's been half an hour and it's only going at about 1% per 10 minutes, that's on an SSD using a 4.2GHz 4770K.

Don't bother update to this unless you're leaving it overnight or something.

16. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    Is RS5 required for dlss? Don't really care about ray tracing.

17. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Glottiz likes this.
  18. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    I think this is the first windows big update that doesn't rollback my network adapter config to default (Wake up on magic packet Off, etc).

19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    No problems updating, so far so good. Actually can't say I've had any issues with any Windows 10 update that wasn't in the fast ring.

StewieTech likes this.
  20. Zooke

Zooke Master Guru

GPU:
    3090FE + EK Block
    Any news on a 1809 LTSB ? I seem to remember talk of one some months ago.