Star Citizen Alpha 3.3 is now available

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 29, 2018.

1. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    LOL

Thanks for the laugh

gx-x and Loobyluggs like this.
  2. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    The other day I was watching a video called how to blow 120 million dollars, about pseudoscience projects following some unrealistic promise and funded by people... those guys know what they are doing and they know they only need to deliver some half working garbage to avoid the scam definition. They were all full of apologetics, because it´s only natural, the more confident the people are they´re not gettin scamed, the more chances that they are.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
    gx-x and Loobyluggs like this.
  3. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Elite Dangerous. Had a plan, asked for money, released on time and under budget.

Edit: And for those that wanted their money back because of elements they asked for and were not delivered, guess what? That's right, they got their money back.

Edit2: The game has sold roughly 3 million units @ $60, making $180m.

Edit3: And they created their own game engine.

Edit4: And they released expansions in accordance with player demand.

Edit5: And yes, I could go on - but I'm sure you will look it all up.

4. JoeBlobers

JoeBlobers Guest

GPU:
    GTX780
    This is as perma-Alpha than all games in development.. then released. only 6 years starting from a team of 6 guys with no studios or pipelines and 6 M$. Now 2 triple-A (Solo + MMO) with a 4 quarters roadmap giving most Kickstarter features with a probable Beta by end of 2019. If you can't stand the world Alpha... stay until it reach Beta or release.

5. JoeBlobers

JoeBlobers Guest

GPU:
    GTX780
    Yeah the good old joke: "my children will fly to mars before it is released".... :) Except Beta is very probable by end of 2019 with most features delivered in the next 6 patch (one per quarter). Already very enjoyable with friends.

6. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    I just realized why this hasn't been fully released/completed yet.

They are actually waiting until space flight becomes a real thing! :D

Yeah, could be.. Unless a lengthy anticipation turns into frustration and possibly disappointment. In rare cases that is. :)

Auto-correct? :p

7. HitokiriX

HitokiriX Master Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX 1070
    Elite Dangerous just barely made its funding goal
    was released in a barebones state
    is a glorified space trucker sim
    highly repetitive as there's nothing to do other than haul stuff
    expansions were created to continue funding game development
    game is not fun
    how long did it take to implement planetary landing again, can you even walk around a planet/space station yet?
    and lastly elite dangerous makes no mans sky look more feature complete

holler and HandR like this.
  8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    You asked the question - I delivered an answer.

Regardless of what you personally think about the actual game, I was chiefly just answering your question about a kickstarter project that contradicted what you said. That's all.

Besides, 80% meta-critic aggregate is still 80% on an actual game that actually met its funding goal and then stopped asking for more money. It then actually released onto the market in a finished state , and then got actual reviews with actual final release code...actually.

So...you want to actually compare the two? Well, that was not your point. Your point has been answered.

David Braben delivered on the project, and gave money back to those who wanted it, for any features that were missing.

Do you have any more points I can nullify?

gx-x, anxious_f0x and Noisiv like this.
  9. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    Call me when this goes gold. ;)

10. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Why call you by the time that happens they'll be able to teleport a version of the game directly in to your brain

BangTail likes this.

11. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    2014 actually. Before 2014 it was in an entirely different concept of Freelancer. It was 2014 when the concept was revised to seamless multifuntional open world FPS what most investors (players) wanted.

3 years took to develop tools. Engine is still being developed with 3.x branch. In 2016 they began working on the game itself. With 3.x branch they started with game features and functionality.

It's 4 years as of now.

GTA V, for example took 6 years to develop and not taking into account that the RAGE engine was already largely done with GTA IV.
    ME:A took 5 years to develop with little in the outcome.
    BGaE 2 is in development for over 10 years. 8 took just for tools and the engine.

12. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    Elite Dangerous is not even close in terms of functionality even to old SC alpha 1.
    All it had out the beginning was a few low quality ship models, several cockpits, some station externality and little internals and menues, menues, menues. That's all. Space was quite empty and all objects were done low quality. Planets are low-polygon object with covered with low quality textures. Even after they added non-atmosphere terrestrial planets, it's still no match to what have been done for SC to the moment. They are just not pushing pointless, but easy, gameplay functionality. First they are about to bring primary features and functionality. They do it opposite way to Elite, but they evolve much faster. Elite brought empty world alpha as stable version. But it is as boring and as empty as Star Citizen alpha.

13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I wasn't making a comparison, I was answering someone who wanted to know of a crowd-funded project that:-

That's all I was doing.

Elite Dangerous asked for X to deliver the game. Less than two years later they delivered what they said they would minus some functionality (campaign) and, if any 'backers' wanted their money back as a result, they got it.

As far as I am concerned (being someone who does not even play Elite) if you want to make comparisons, I really do not think you can as SC has not been released as yet. Neither has it been reviewed, and most certainly the original crowd-funded project does not even exist.

If I gave you the impression I was making comparisons or that I am some sort of Elite fan-boy, I appologise - but I'm wasn't and I am not.

The crowd funding for SC was 'transferred' into actual free-money (pledges), by changing the terms and conditions, which is what prompted the court case (that was incontestable) by the individual who didn't click the 'I agree' button to the new terms and conditions. So the backers became (if they didn't click the button) people without a leg to stand on, as their backing money are deemed to be 'pledges' of money, in a quite bizarre twist of terminology that makes any questions as to the final launch date of the game completely meaningless.

The reason is simple: any 'pledges' given to them are not contingent on them supplying you a finished computer game. That are also not obligated to actually finish the game, or even state that there is a game with a release date. The only thing they have to do is allow you access to the content you have asked for, as a part of your 'pledge'. That's it your honor, we gave them a virtual environment to access the virtual items they paid for.

Now, this also means that even if they never ever finish the game and release, they still get to keep the money.

They can literally keeping offering virtual environments to access virtual content until the end of time.

As Walter White once said "...I respect the strategy..." as CR has created some kind of virtual meth-lab, full of people consuming whatever he is cooking up, and with no one else able to sell on his turf.

The Emperor is not wearing any clothes...and CR is never going to release a game.

BangTail and gx-x like this.
  14. george1976

george1976 Guest

GPU:
    Radeon R9290
    Sorry mate, I don't know if I would be able to call you by the time this comes out, in my 40's now and with the development rate of this game I will be dust by then.;)

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I hope they pivot this game to Battle Royale and make a billion dollars like Fortnite did - which was also in development since 2011.

Loobyluggs likes this.

16. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I hope they do - but doubt it will make any difference to whether this 'project' ever gets released, if fact I'm sure they will add this into the shelf of ide\as they have got to get people to 'pledge' more money to CR.

Y'know what - I would in fact be surprised if they don't add battle royale...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2018
  17. holler

holler Master Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7900XTX Aqua
    yea, sick of people comparing this to elite dangerous, the only thing they have in common is space.

Loobyluggs likes this.
  18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Which is why I didn't compare them, merely used Elite Dangerous as a kickstarter example for software development.

19. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    This is an Elite Dangerous video from 2014. You don't need endless feature checklists to create an amazing game.

PS: The general feeling of the ships in Elite, the audio, the handling, the ambient, is miles above anything else.

INSTG8R likes this.
  20. AlmondMan

AlmondMan Maha Guru

GPU:
    7900 XT Reference
    Don't really understand the comments about E:D ships being low-poly and bad etc., the entire game looks superb and runs exceptionally well. There's a well-though-out art direction and visual that's being implemented throughout the game. It doesn't need being able to walk around on space stations etc., but sure, it would be cool. However - I do agree that the game does lack some direction for a modern audience. But it's not bad as a result. It's just a bit obtuse. I personally cannot get very invested in it, but I enjoy loading it up once and a while and experiencing how their version of space has evolved.

PrMinisterGR likes this.