Ice Lake for Mainstream Delayed to 2020

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 25, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    So many Intel slides leak in Asia, and a new one has surfaced indicating that Ice Lake for mainstream processors has been delayed towards 2020. That by itself isn't news as everybody expected that, ...

Ice Lake for Mainstream Delayed to 2020

2. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    Pretty devastating confirmation for intel. On the up side, AMD revival and true market place competition again!

chispy, carnivore, user1 and 2 others like this.
  3. Lebon30

Lebon30 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3070Ti 8GB
    Everyone here kind of knew that it was going to happen.
    Hopefully, when they'll get Ice Lake ready, it's going to kick ass (because, at this point, they will have felt the heat for a while now).

4. Evildead666

Evildead666 Guest

GPU:
    Vega64/EKWB/Noctua
    The only thing that Intel have to get ready is their manufacturing process.
    Until that is done, they are shafted at the moment.
    2019 is likely going to be Hell on Earth for Intel.

Maddness likes this.

5. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    that's rough, double whammy, cant produce 10nm chips, and not enough 14nm capacity to hold on to what they have

2019 I have a feeling is gonna be hard times.

6. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    It doesn't come from nothing that analysts suggest that AMD could take market share from Intel over all segments next year.

7. storm83

storm83 Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 660 ti
    Intel still wipes the floor with ryzen on single core performance...
    If AMD manages to rival that, with ryzen 2, they COULD turn the market upside down
    - but only if they manage to keep the price point

8. deathnite

deathnite Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 12GB
    I have an i7-920 (1st gen) and have been holding out until Intel switches to 10nm for a true upgrade, but they keep delaying it, it's really getting annoying, this should have been out already.
    Waited this long, guess I can survive another couple of years, got to resist the temptation, the overpriced RAM has been helpful in keeping me away from making a new build. Hopefully the 12GB of RAM I have now will be enough until then.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Or you could simply go for AMD.

xIcarus, moo100times, chispy and 4 others like this.
  10. coth

coth Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 2060 Super EX
    It's Ice Lake-SP. SP usually comes 1-2 years after U and S.

11. BLEH!

BLEH! Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Fury
    Intel really aren't having a lot of luck lately...

12. fabtech

fabtech Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    It's nothing about being unlucky. This just what happens when you are to sure about yourself, that you think you can use the same process indefinitely and slow down innovation to get more in your pocket by forgetting that you are not alone in CPU industry. Intel did the same mistake with the Pentium 4, seems they didn't learn the lesson.
    I am just happy they are in this mess, because they just got in by themselves.

13. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    No luck involved, instead, it's greed combined with delusions of grandeur.

This is what happens when there is no competition. You have no innovation, and the same product is being milked nonstop.AMD has really given Intel a cold shower in that matter, as Intel felt way too comfortable at their position.

14. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    They reap what they sowed. There were a few Intel engineer AMAs on Reddit a few years ago, and the amount of arrogance in them was staggering.

Meanwhile a lot of their performance came from zero thread locking in the CPU itself (hello Meltdown and Spectre), and from insisting in a tick tock that they knew couldn't go on, since at least three years now. Instead of actual engineering they focused on internal SJW bullcrap and they fired pretty much everyone over 50, destroying their best contacts in the industry in the process, all in the belief that they were invincible.

Let's see what they do now, when they (hopefully) cannot go back to the monopolistic crap they used to. Maybe they can learn something.

carnivore and moo100times like this.
  15. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    So much for that... I was just talking to a friend yesterday that this will probably be my next upgrade next year, guess not.

16. Jumbik

Jumbik Member

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 64 N+
    Let's just hope that AMD will not take an advantage of it and increase prices too much. I want to upgrade next year... :)

RzrTrek likes this.
  17. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Well, this will be a true test for AMD. All the time Intel had the upper hand, they milked the many, many, maaany Sandy Bridges to death, while practicing heftier and heftier prices with minimal performance increase. Let's see if AMD will do the same or prove to Intel that you can still make money without being completely consumed by greed.

18. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    I waited a long time for these INTEL issues and it feels good. I have not been this happy in a long time. I wish I still keep my AMD stocks. Karma to INTEL for what they did to AMD for many years and it's customers. This is AMD's time to shine.

19. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    When you account clock-per-clock performance and the security mitigations, no, Intel doesn't "wipe the floor" on single-core performance. They're still overall better, but only marginally.
    AMD has been slashing prices on a lot of their existing products when nobody was pressuring them to do so. I figure that Zen 2 will probably be consistent with the MSRP of previous generations, but due to TSMC's workload continuing to increase, I'm sure the prices will remain stable.

20. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    I'm still on X58 as well, I just ordered a TR 2950X a few days ago. I was done waiting for Intel to stop being awful - X58 is the best platform I have ever used but they are not the same company they were between (roughly) 2006 to 2013. Everything after sandy/ivy bridge has been increasingly incremental changes to CPUs, swapping solder for paste under the IHS, forcing new platforms with essentially no new features (looking at you Z170, 270, 370...), gouging prices on HEDT, etc, etc, etc. In short, I'm going AMD not because they are so much better, but more so because Intel has gotten that much worse :p