Review: ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 STRIX OC 8G

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 24, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    We review that other ROG STRIX. Yes, it is time to have a peek at the ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 STRIX model. We test the 8GB OC SKU that comes with mild factory tweak, guys, that dual-BIOS controlled co...

Review: ASUS GeForce RTX 2080 STRIX OC 8G

StewieTech likes this.
  2. msotirov

msotirov Guest

GPU:
    rx 480
    Is it a mere coincidence that the 2080 can't quite reach 60 FPS in most 4k benchmarks? That would be quite convenient for Nvidia, if you have to get the Ti to obtain these last 5-6 frames to make it to 60.

3. Bitey

Bitey Member

GPU:
    Fury X fx5
    so all reviewed 2080's are recommended despite there price "extravagance".

4. demodemo001

demodemo001 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Why there's such a diference in performance using DLSS ? if i desactivate AA completly (in FFXV) my performance is very similar

5. Sasco

Sasco Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 970
    Is there going to be a 2080 ti Strix?

Edit: I'm lazy, yeah appears there is

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  7. Ziggymac

Ziggymac Guest

GPU:
    Asus 970 Strix SLi
    Does this site EVER give a critical review of anything, or is it too scared of being put on the 'naughty' list of suppliers, if it does?

Seriously, sometimes this 'review' site comes across as nothing more than a paid promotion site.

8. Sasco

Sasco Member

GPU:
    Nvidia 970
  9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Question, what exactly would be so wrong with this product that I need to trash it? I mean, other than the pricing of course ... which I kinda trashed didn't I? If this product was 499 USD, would you still feel the same? Probably not. That is the point I am trying to make here. There's little wrong with this product other than pricing.

10. fr33k

fr33k Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 VENTUS OC
    glad there was a review of this... still waiting on my pre-order. I really hope it gets here this week.

11. Babel-17

Babel-17 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    I see it as being a case of the site generally only reviewing fairly elite gear. This is stuff that guru3d readers are prone to buy to start with. Here's yet another car analogy. :)

If you read a magazine that has reviews of expensive sports cars, you're unlikely to come away with the impression that you wouldn't love to drive any of them.

The only bias we might see is that the site has no desire to spend its time messing around with junk. Lol, we can maybe say that the site is "binning" the products they spend time on, and review.

I guess it might be fair to ask if this actually is the case, and if so, why doesn't the site seek out marginal/cheap gear to review, so that they can steer people away from the worst of that. But that just circles us back to the point I raised above. The readers of this site don't come here looking for that. They want the site to review quality gear that they might want to buy.

When I'm looking at videocards to buy I come here. I'm only looking at quality ones, and I want the level of detail that this site's reviews provide. I'm not expecting it to come down to choice between crap, and gold. They're all good cards, but sometimes one stands out.

Mmm, still looks yummy! https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-r5770-hawk-review,1.html
    I ended up buying that card, thanks to Hilbert helping me to make up my mind.

Which reminds me, I need to update my profile, I upgraded to a RTX 2080 FE. :)

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    You would have to call it Editors Choice then. :D