The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    titan has tensor cores but it has RTX cores? Also what about DLSS and shading improvements. Do you think titan v users will get them?

2. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    If memory serves, you can run RTX on Pascal (albeit not well) so the fact that Titan V can run RTX means nothing as it does not have RTX cores (at least I don't think it does).

I'm not sure what the 'fine wine' train is.

3. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Don't get confused by those RTX, RT and all that..

Yes its one and the same, by Turing they improved its (Tensor cores) performance further.

4. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    RT cores are not the same as Tensor cores. If a card does not have RT cores it will use the DXR fallback method (software) to run ray-tracing in Win 10.

BangTail likes this.

5. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    nvidia says RTX as being supported on volta and later https://www.pcgamer.com/nvidia-talks-ray-tracing-and-volta-hardware/
    dlss is a part of the NGX sdk https://developer.nvidia.com/rtx/ngx

As for the shading improvements there isnt enough info about it to know if it applies to volta. (have a hunch it has to do with tensor core acceleration since it is tied to DLSS and RTX)

point is the titan v is a good upper limit for expectations.

jura11 likes this.
  6. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    RTX support is one thing but performance is another. According to Nv single 2080ti runs Star Wars RTX tech demo faster than 4x titan Volta thanks to RTX cores. Even looking at CUDA cores amount it's clear to me these are different cards, 2080ti has much less CUDA cores but still Turing will be probably as fast if not faster in normal games thanks to the big architecture improvement in CUDA performance and new shading features and not to mention HDR improvrments (HDR on turing GPU's is done on hardware level so it's faster, as you can see in benchmark charts, sometimes that differece can be around 10fps). If titan volta would have Turing features Nv would not talk about them when titan V was launched? I think they would

Anyway there are some very interesting YT benchmarks

2080ti vs 1080ti in shadow of the tomb raider (and few other games)
    the witcher 3 runs much better on 2080ti, 77 fps vs 43 fps maxed out with HW on, that's HUGE difference so I dont know if these benchmarks are legit.

Edit @ after seeing more videos it looks like that benchmark is indeed fake. The same channel has uploaded GRX 2080 results, and what's funny 2080ti results looks slower now compared with GTX 2080 posted 2 weeks ago.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
  7. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Thing is with that demo, is that we have no idea what the framerate is for the 4x gv100 system, that said im sure the RT core makes a big difference for raytracing,
    but fact of the matter is if your going to buy a 2080ti , dont expect it to play games available today any faster than the titan V. your still looking at a 17% difference in SM count and the clock speeds are similar, such improvements dont appear out of thin air

On the other hand if you're a game developer looking to make the next generation of titles, these new cards seem to be quite the deal.

I found this page https://devblogs.nvidia.com/nvidia-turing-architecture-in-depth/ , which details many of the changes and improvements, unfortunately they make mainly comparisons to pascal, they do mention however many things about how turing incorporates the features found in volta and builds upon them.

The picture is more clear now , seems Turing is for the most part Volta + rt cores

Also, Consider that if you keep expectation low, you wont be disappointed!

8. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    But according to turing architecture in depth analysis CUDA cores are 50% faster now, and turing also use additional shading features that will boost performance big way in future games. So 2080ti doesnt need to have the same number of CUDA cores in order to be faster compared with titan volta.

+50% faster CUDA cores
    +RTX cores
    +DLSS
    +new shading features
    +HDR performance improvements

Maybe titan v will get DLSS support because it has tensor cores, but right now it's not something certain.

BangTail and pharma like this.
  9. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    What?

Yes they are, volta has them too, by Turing they improved core output bandwidth further.

The rest is not relevant, I never said anything about gpu's not having tensor cores.

10. Aioras

Aioras Guest

GPU:
    Zotac GTX980Ti ***937;
    There´s something smelly with that video test, if you look at most specialized pages charts, the GTX1080ti reaches around 60-80fps in most of games (max settings) at 4k.
    For example, The Witcher 3 scores an average of 44fps at 4k, where Guru3d charts says the GTX1080ti goes up to 66fps at stock clocks... The same with Battlefiled 1 too.
    Why that difference, someone has a similiar setup to confirm with score is more accurate?
    Without any doubt the RTX2080ti must be much more powerfull than a 1080ti but... Why according to that tests looks like the GTX1080ti is not reaching solid 60fps at 4k in most of games when a few months ago the benchs all over the net was telling us it was capable without much problems?

Thanks!

11. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    Well I think these scores are fake anyway, but 1080ti indeed cant run the witcher 3 at maxed out settings with HW on with solid 60fps. You will get around 45fps. Also benchmark location is very critical.
    [​IMG]

I remember when I bought 1080ti. Most benchmarks suggested I will see around 70-80fps on 1080ti in that game, but in normal gameplay I could see locations with 40fps dips (open grass areas). In Poland we have "PClab" site, and benchmarks on that site are very unique because they always include 2 different scenarios, one is demanding scenario (results are much lower), and other is normal scenario (similar results comparable with other sites). That way you can really know what to expect from each GPU in particular game.

12. pharma

pharma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Strix GTX 1080
    It's a new IP Block (RT Core) and only in Turing ... new hardware not found in Volta.
    The Guru3D review also points out the differences:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    LuckyNumber8 likes this.
  13. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    this is the actual quote in case you didn't read
    all of the comparisons are made to pascal not volta.

I dont know what problem you have with the titan v, it an nvidia product , all of the documentation points to the gv100 supporting every thing(for the most part) except the rt cores, and maybe the hdr improvements(dont actually know though), which is what you would expect since its only a year old compared to turing. infact i'd wager the only reason the GV100 doesn't have rtcores , is that it is the biggest chip nvidia can even make, its at the reticle limit already and given its intended purpose(Deeplearning), it makes sense they would leave that out infavor of FP64 and more SMs

All im saying is to keep expectation inline, thats all.

But hey if you want to "Believe" that turing will be much faster than the titan v (overall) and decide to preorder the 2080 TI based on that , its a free country, do what you want.

14. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Titan V core architecture is more similar to pascal than turing.

Titan V has significantly more cuda cores whilst being slower than 2080Ti

I'd say that turing cores are obviously much faster than volta cores too.

15. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Tu102
    [​IMG]
    Gv100
    [​IMG]
    Gp100
    [​IMG]

One of these doesn't look like the others. But i dunno maybe im crazy

volta is much faster than pascal in compute workloads, since it has tensor cores like Turing.
    Turing is very obviously an extension of volta at least in my educated opinion, from reading the white papers

Dare I say that perhaps The RTX acceleration achieved via tensor cores used on turing will be made available to the Rtx supporting tensor core having titan V in a future driver.

I prefer to reserve absolute judgements until reliable ,verifiable data is available.

but you know gotta feed that hype train. :D so lets just say the 2080ti is 50% faster than volta ok

and dont forget , THE MORE YOU BUY THE MORE YOU SAVE!

HandR, Slinkyminx and endbase like this.

16. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
  17. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
  18. EL1TE

EL1TE Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    Real benchies should be here in 2 days, unless leaks that is.

19. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Dragam1337 likes this.
  20. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    The only real difference is that the 2070 has less CUDA cores. Historically, the x70 cards perform on par with previous generation's x80ti cards. This will be close, maybe 5% slower than the 1080ti. It'll be interesting to see how much of an impact overclocking also has on these upcoming cards, the 10 series didn't really improve much with overclocking, I have a feeling it'll be a different story here.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.