The RTX 2080Ti Thread

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce' started by Netherwind, Aug 20, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    So nearly 50% faster in 3dmark, games are 30-45% increase.

Faster than what many expected.

Maddness and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. EL1TE

EL1TE Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080 SH X 2.1GHz
    Still "official" numbers, and HDR seems to not lose performance vs 1080 and 1080 Ti

3. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Encouraging so far :)

4. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    It costs more... so there is actually minimal increase in performance, if any, and to consider a two year wait, it's comedic.

It's almost the same as if you compare a £20,000 car with a car released 5 years later at £30,000.... 'Ooooo that one has electric windows!! AND it goes faster!!! It's much better than the previous one!!'

It's just not impressive...

I'm sorry to keep being so negative about this but I feel Nvidia is pulling the wool over everybody's eyes so successfully it pains me to watch, specially as I like Nvidia cards, but this is just terrible

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018

5. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Performance is impressive considering the node being used

Not impressive for the price of course.

6. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    Sorry, I'm getting a bit peed off with reading this negative stuff. It cost more because of the chip size and additional tech it's using. Plus the cards have been engineered to a premium product if you go buy the FE previews.

It also cost money to support a product like this too, can you imagine how many more engineer and software developers it has cost Nvidia to employ to make sure all this tech works together!

Open your eyes and look at the bigger picture as to what goes into the product. Going by these benchmarks I know I'm getting my money's worth as I play most of these games or will be on my 4k hdr tv.

7. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060

.....Oh gosh

fantaskarsef likes this.
  8. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    Unfortunately I work in a technology industry where i tested products from prototypes to final build along with the software so when I see products like this I usually see it from business perspective too. You wouldnt belive how much money these companies burn through during development.

blitzo, BangTail and LuckyNumber8 like this.
  9. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    These numbers looks very similar to titan v results. In some games 2080ti performance is like 1080GTX in sli and of course DLSS should provide additional boost.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2018
  10. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    Agrre. Most people think Nv is just greedy, but the thing is, with each year is harder and harder to make much faster GPU's. They cant shrink GPU's forever so they have to spend insane amount of money into research.

11. MikeMK

MikeMK Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 4090
    Performance looks nice... certainly a decent upgrade from my 980Ti's. Just gotta sort the pennies out now :)

pharma, LuckyNumber8 and BangTail like this.
  12. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Yep, looks very good, looking forward to release day.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    pharma and LuckyNumber8 like this.
  13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
  14. euskai

euskai Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti STRIX
    TBH Nvidia IS greedy, and if AMD was delivering in the high-end portion of the market prices would be much lower, but I don't think it's happening anytime soon sadly.

Now, if the 2080 really is clearly stronger than the 1080ti and prices don't go crazy, it could be interesting.

It's still a lot of ifs, so still waiting for reviews.

15. LuckyNumber8

LuckyNumber8 Guest

GPU:
    https://www.tweaktown.com/articles/...ring-gpu-biggest-leap-geforce-256/index4.html
    2x performance with DLSS and plus even better AA? That's sounds too good to be true :), but I would like to be surprised.

[​IMG]

https://www.nvidia.com/content/dam/...ure/NVIDIA-Turing-Architecture-Whitepaper.pdf
    And here's very interesting read in regards to turing architecture. Not only DLSS and RTX looks interesting but also features like variable rate shading can speed up games from 15 up to 20%. Something tells me Nv will push developers to implement these features in games, so year from now Turing GPU's will be even faster :)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 15, 2018
    pharma and BangTail like this.

16. KingK76

KingK76 Guest

GPU:
    Pascal Titan X Under H2O
    Great post. And don't listen to the negative people, this card rocks hard and is a huge leap forward. Especially when you consider the Ray Tracing capabilities... Something that most thought was still a decade or more away...

Maddness, pharma and BangTail like this.
  17. Archvile82

Archvile82 Master Guru

GPU:
    ROG STRIX 4090 OC
    I never listen to negative people though I can understand some of the arguments, I just look at the bigger picture and having worked for a big corporate company I know how much goes into R&D and when a product fails it generally means mass lay offs.

I'm sure the last thing Nvidia thought when making Turin was how can we milk people, they clearly went out there way to innovate and bring something different to the market. Best time to do something wild while their competition is no where.

Only time Nvidia let me down was when I bought the 5800 ultra...enough said about that the better :( :D
    Though I will say the dx8 performance was really good lol

pharma and BangTail like this.
  18. BangTail

BangTail Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC
    Same, that's the only time I was really unhappy, the original Hair dryer (well that and the 9800 GX2).

Otherwise, they have been fairly consistent in delivering decent products.

One cannot argue that current prices are a tad on the high side but you pay to play ;)

pharma likes this.
  19. Babel-17

Babel-17 Member Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Though she now aspires to be a Vegan (she can't resist milk chocolate) Grace slick once wrote a song that referenced her next door neighbors who shuddered at her consumption of meat. Lol, it's both very good, and pretty funny. An amazing lineup of musicians as well. This is OT, but might help lighten the mood. I'll understand if it gets deleted though.

https://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/grace_slick/silver_spoon.html

20. tensai28

tensai28 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    rtx 4080 super
    It's about 300usd more for an aftermarket model (ex:MSI trio). Sorry for my ignorance but is there any advantage of getting that over the standard nvidia ones now that they have better cooling (dual fans) ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.