MSI RX570 Gaming X 4GB Unreal Engine 3 games FPS drops

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by FearFactory, Sep 11, 2018.

1. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    Hello all, i got a MSI RX570 4GB to replace my old HD6950 2GB and i did a Windows 10 Pro 1803 clean install. Games like Far Cry 3, Serious Sam 3 Fusion 2017 (beta) on Linux and Quake Champios on Steam are running great with high settings. But i still play old games like Unreal Tournament 3 with friends and to my surprise i have stutter and frame drops with this 11y old game on heavy action! (Sometimes around 30fps, or under). I tried with Vsync on and off, framerate smoothing on and off, no positive results! Well, i tried another Unreal Engine 3 game, Batman Arkham Asylum and i have the same fps drops. Is this a bug with the UT3 engine and the new AMD cards ? I have the latest Adrenalin 18.8.2 drivers and i also tried the Crimson 17.11.4 but i got the same frame drops. I know that Unreal Engines are Nvidia optimized but my 7 years old HD6950 could run these games with max settings with no frame drops... Any more settings i can try? One of my friends have a GTX970 with the latest drivers Nvidia drivers and UT3 is running fine.

BTW, anyone here with the same card? This card should be silent with the Twin Frozr cooler but it gets really loud when i'm gaming, i had to lower the max fan speed from 2400 rpm to 1700.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2018
  2. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Guest

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    rx 570 is a re badge budget card and most of amd chips perform terrible in Unreal dx9-11 that is why nvidia has most pc gamers. i got a 1050ti for physx and Unreal engine.

You cant really pc game without getting pissed unless you buy a 1080ti to keep min frame times high.

3. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    The UT engine always sucked for AMD. Check if there is enough airflow in your case so the card gets enough cool air.

4. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    I know that an 1080Ti or a Titan are the holy grail of gaming but i can't afford a card like that and i really dont game a lot. The RX570 was on my budget and my old HD6950 always served me well. DX11 games are running great and i tried another old DX9 game, COD 4 Modern Warfare which runs flawless, the problem it's only with Unreal Engine 3 games and i still need to try an UE4 game

5. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    Yes, i know that UT Engines are Nvidia optimized but my old HD6950 can run these games with no frame drops and a RX570 cannot? It seems to me that AMD changed something in the new drivers that cripple the performance with UE3 games. The temps are fine, playing UT3 i get around 55c max and with Quake Champions around 66, 67c max

6. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Usually the problem I find in UE3 games is that, as daft as this sounds, they aren't demanding enough. Fairly often I find my Fury, when playing an older DX9 game, wont clock up to it's full speed and as such the card is rendering the game at low or idle clock speeds.

You could try using the clockblocker application to help (it forces the card to run at proper clockspeeds) if it is indeed a case of your card not clocking up properly. Another option is to try and crank the settings as high as possible, force super sampling AA and/or 4k VSR.

Also, in drivers, ensure that power saving features are disabled (such as power efficiency and chill).

UE4 games generally are just badly optimised with few actually being decent.

7. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    Yes, i saw that too... most of the time in UT3 the card was on low or idle clocks and i forced the full speed 1280/1750Mhz (State 7 MAX on the AMD GlobalWattMan) but i still have the same fps drops.

Chill is off by default. Well it's frustrating to get a new card and too see that my old AMD card can run UT3 with no stuttering or fps drops :/

8. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    That's just setting your clockspeed for the highest performance state, what is likely happening is the card is remaining in something like state 3, try using the clockblocker application I mentioned https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/clockblocker-profiled-amd-power-management-control.404465/

This problem used to exist because of the power efficiency mode, I'm guessing 500 series and Vega series don't have this setting anymore?
    [​IMG]
    If not, I believe you can tweak the setting in the registry and/or using this tool https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/radeonmod-tweak-utility.403389/ (not sure on how much support it has now) @OnnA can you weigh in?

pimpineasy likes this.
  9. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    I set the State 7 as the minimum state on the core (1280) and the State 2 as the minimum for the memory (1750) and MSI OSD shows me that, the card never clocks down but thanks, i will look at Clockblocker. That Power Efficiency option i don't have it on my AMD Settings

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtWQDCiyHQEKkmP1FHFmWP52Wg5m

10. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    I set the State 7 as the minimum state on the core (1280) and the State 2 as the minimum for the memory (1750) and MSI Afterburner OSD shows me that, the card never clocks down but thanks, i will look at Clockblocker. That Power Efficiency option i don't have it on my AMD Settings

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AtWQDCiyHQEKkmP1FHFmWP52Wg5m

11. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Ah right didn't know you could do that (wattman is rubbish for Fury owners anyway). I definitely think it's a lack of utilisation thing though, I've experienced it a lot with older UE3 and other DX9 games.

12. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    Yes, the GPU usage is very strange... from 0% to 90%, then 30% and 0% again and so on. To me it's a bug with the new drivers or AMD removed the UE3 optimizations. I see lower GPU usage with other older DX9 games like COD 4 Modern Warfare but i have no fps drops on that game. ahh even the older UT99 ahah i updated the game engine files to suport DX9 and it runs really great :D Well, thanks for your time :)

PS: but i will try to run UT3 in linux with Wine using the latest Mesa opensource drivers...

13. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    Doubt they will remove optimizations seeing as drivers always get bigger not smaller. UT3 engine is just weird, UT4 is a lot better but still has many of the same problems that the previous ones had.

14. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    Even with Nvida?

15. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    i build a system for someone with a 1080 and PUBG still runs like crap from time to time. The UT engine always had problems with some cards *SPAM* all the way back to UT99. I remember having a S3 savage pro where i ran great and when i switched to a TNT2 it ran like crap.

16. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    I never had problems with my old HD6950 and UE3 games like UT3 or the Batman games, (or the older Unreal and UT99) all them running great with max settings. Hell, this new RX570 runs great the old Ureal Gold and UT99, it's just with the UE3 games i'm having this problem. UE4 games i still need to try.

PS: TNT2!! had one!! great times!! :D :D When Nvidia Detonator drivers were out.... wow, nice performance jump in UT99 :D

17. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Have you tried VSR and super sampling AA? Give the card more of a workload, might kick it into gear.

Which games are you having trouble with specifically? Might also be a configuration issue.

18. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    UE3 likes fast CPU cores and UT3 in particular was pretty heavy on single core performance, so it’s sounding like you may be seeing a bottleneck in that area.

What CPU do you have?

19. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    I haven't triend VSR but i tried with Wine 3.15 (patched version to suport Gallium 9) on linux with the Mesa 18.3 opensource drivers (Gallium 9 enabled) and the game runs fine. I still think it's a Windows driver problem with the new AMD cards and UE3 engine

The problem it's only with UE3 based games, like UT3 and Batman games.

I saw more users reporting the same problem with Vega cards in the Unreal Tournament offcial forum.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
  20. FearFactory

FearFactory Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire RX470 4GB
    I have an AMD FX8320@4.2GHz. It runs fine with my old HD6950 2GB, the problem started when i got the RX570 4GB. I saw more users reporting the same problem with Vega cards in the Unreal Tournament offcial forum. It must be a driver problem with UE3 games