Review: Seagate Barracuda Pro 14TB HDD (the Megalodon has arrived)

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    jura11 likes this.
  2. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Obviously tech pushes forward, and more capacity is better for anyone that needs it.

However price / GB is not yet Ok for these 14 Tera-drives.
    You can get more capacity per money spent by buying 2x 8TB than 1x 14TB, as those two 8TB drives are cheaper than 1x 14TB.

However, when absolute max capacity is needed for a limited amount of drives (let's say a 4-bay NAS), this new capacity level is awesome !

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    My largest HDD is 2TB. Not using it, really. I can't even remember how long I have it.

Back in the day, I backed up every game I had, every DVD, ...

But since 40GB+ movies and games came along, I considered it waste of space. It's not like in case there is no more internet to re-download my games, I would be in position to sit at home and play games from backup.

scatman839 likes this.
  4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    You do need to math in that this is a Barracuda, Helium-filled - faster 7200 RPM and performance. If you go with two 8 TB Seagate Archive HDDs... cost indeed sits at 3 cents per GB. But the performance difference certainly is noticeable due to the lower platter rpm and 128MB cache (256 MB for this one).

5. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    2*14TB in my case would be just sufficient,as currently have 6*3TB and 1*4TB plus 3*1TB SSD just what puts me off is price, sadly

Then failure rate of Seagate HDD, owned 3*3TB Barracuda and all of them failed, recovering them would be too expensive and I didn't recover them, lost several months of rendering plus my other works

But still nice to see 14TB HDD review and test over here

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

RzrTrek likes this.
  6. Præses

Præses Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800XT
    So roughly 14,5 hours to fill it up at max speed? :p

StewieTech likes this.
  7. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Question: How is it possible that this drive doesn't seem to slow down towards the end ?

The HD Tach show SSD-like speed consistency, and that is very unusual.
    Either there is some strange caching involved, or the drive itself is "mapping" addresses like a SSD, always writing and reading first from the outer tracks.

@Hilbert Hagedoorn
    It would be interesting if you could fill this drive completely (all the 14 TB) with random data, and test read speeds then.
    Constant 240-250 MB/s on the entire drive is NOT normal.

8. Stairmand

Stairmand Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 Aorus Maste
    I just worked out, if this was available at the same £ per MB when I bought my first hard drive. It would have cost £17,500,000

Holy crap.

StewieTech, alanm and tunejunky like this.
  9. SashiX

SashiX Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6Gb
    Check red graph in Sandra test ;) Slowing down at the end as expected.

10. Yogi

Yogi Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6800
    I'm not sure I'd trust a single drive with that much capacity.
    1 failure and you've lost 14 TB worth of data. Or whatever fraction of it you've managed to fill.

11. Misha Engel

Misha Engel Guest

GPU:
    GTX970
    Well it does

wavetrex likes this.
  12. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    I am interested to see how ST2000DM008 can perform,it's single 2TB platter HDD with 220MBS, interested to see how it can used for Steam library, My current WD EZEX 1TB is very slow for Rainbow Six Siege and all calling me a potato PC even tho I got 2700X/120GB SSD/1080TI/200MBs Fiber.

13. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    I added two new measurements in the HD Tune section displaying that behavior pretty precisely.

14. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Surprisingly good performance for a singe drive.

I'm not sure I would entirely agree. Keep in mind that people running drives like this are probably going to RAID1/5/10 them. If data integrity matters to you, spending a little bit extra so you have fewer drives to make redundant is a better long-term approach. Every additional moving part you add is one more thing creating heat, noise, and an increased chance of failure.

That's not to say your idea is a bad one, but for some people, the extra expense is a practical one.

15. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    14tb + Seagate sends shivers up my spine.

16. Hilbert Hagedoorn

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    There's always a possibility it fails, there's always a possibility that anything in your PC fails. These helium-filled units, however, have made the HDDs way more reliable. From the top of my head less than 1% failure rates with the latest Backblaze 12 TB ones .. which is on par with SSDs as well. But here you're going to fire off "but yeah, that SSD doesn't hold 14 TB of data dude". I know .. I know.. :)

17. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Thanks !
    Now it's much more clear how fast (or not fast) these are.

With hard-drives, it's important to know that their speed isn't consistent, the more full the drive is the slower it becomes, due to inner tracks being shorter than outer tracks ( Track length = 2 * PI * Radius . Spinning speed is constant and bit density is also constant, while radius decreases as the drive gets filled.

SSD's on the other hand do not depend on geometry so they keep their speed completely ignoring the position of the data.

And then there's fragmentation... which causes files to be spread all over the drive, forcing the heads to move a lot when accessing a fragmented drive, making a slow hard-disk feel even slower ...

18. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Great review as always Hilbert. That's a lot of TB to fill :D , it seems HDs are going to be with us for a few more years.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    At this platter density, we should be seeing 400+ MB/s reads

20. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    Great drive forward with hard drive capacities etc (no pun intended).

Ideal to replace multiple NAS setups with less and higher based capacity drives.