MSI AB / RTSS development news thread

Discussion in 'MSI AfterBurner Application Development Forum' started by Unwinder, Feb 20, 2017.

1. Unwinder

Unwinder Ancient Guru Staff Member

In meanwhile you may read context help for user mode/kernel mode hardware access levels and guess what's possibly going on on BattleEye side.

2. Unwinder

Guys, I mentioned before that sadly we cannot yet release new MSI AB beta with RTX support because of evil green NDA. J However, nothing can stop us from releasing new RTSS beta. So in meanwhile you’ve got a few new features to test and to play with. Here is RTSS 7.2.0 beta 5, changes list comparing to beta 4 includes the following:

· Added power user oriented idle framerate limiting mode. Unlike traditional framerate limiting mode, idle framerate limiting mode is only affecting inactive 3D applications running in background. Idle framerate limit is specified as a target frametime with 1 microsecond precision. Idle framerate limiting mode helps to reduce power consumption when you minimize some heavy 3D applications and switch to other processes
    · Increased static command buffer size for Vulkan and pure Direct3D12 renders to increase amount of primitives rendered in On-Screen Display in a single pass
    · Improved desktop duplication based desktop video capture implementation ( Windows 8 and newer OS versions):
    o Now desktop video recording sessions do not stop on display mode switch or on switch to exclusive fullscreen mode. Such approach allows you to start capturing video on desktop then launch some 3D application and create a video file containing both desktop and 3D application’s video streams
    o Improved video capture API allows video capture frontend applications (e.g. MSI Afterburner) to force desktop or 3D application video capture modes in addition to default mixed desktop/3D application capture mode
    o Now desktop capture is using multhithreaded active busy-wait loop frame capture instead of timer driven frame capture in order to improve frame timing precision and resulting video smoothness. The previous timer driven frame capture can be enabled via configuration file if necessary
    o Decreased desktop duplication timeouts in order to improve RivaTuner Statistics Server GUI response time under certain conditions during desktop videocapture sessions in timer driven frame capture mode
    · Added timeout to API hooks injection in CBT hook handler. The timeout is aimed to reduce injection related CPU overhead on some systems, related to high mouse polling rate combined with keyboard/mouse hooks installed by third party applications
    · Interoperability D3D10 page flips on some systems are now filtered by framerate calculation module in OpenGL/Vulkan applications

http://msi-afterburner.guru3d.com/RTSSSetup720Beta5.rar

Stay tuned!

qywang256, blitzo, eGGroLLiO and 8 others like this.
  3. Tomatone

Tomatone Master Guru

GPU:
    7800XT Steel Legend
    I see that they started Punkbuster's way :(

4. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Thank you for this!

5. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    Already test this with fullscreen and borderless windowed games. Works like a charm.
    As soon as the 3D app isn't the topmost the limit takes effect.

I had to find the right minimum fps (limit frametime) for the borderless windowed, only because I do watch a YouTube-popup-video or take a look at the browser I don't want to stall the game. In most cases I find 15 to 20fps (66666 to 50000 microseconds) low enough.
    With fullscreen games it depends... If you are in a multiplayer game and e.g. waiting for a new round you want that game still be alive, so the above limits may be a good choice. If you are in a single player game you even may get it down to 1 or 5 fps (1000000 to 200000 microseconds) but I wouldn't recommend going that low.

-------
    Windows 10 (17134) 64Bit
    MSI Gaming OC, GTX 960
    Nvidia WHQL driver V398.36

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
    blitzo and Unwinder like this.
  6. Unwinder

Keep in mind that it is a profile specific setting, so you can define different idle framerate limits for different apps.

7. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    yupp did put the option in app profile config files

I do need to relaunch RTSS to reread the profile, right?

8. Unwinder

You don't need to relaunch RTSS, profile is read on 3D application start so it needs to be relaunched instead

9. Andy_K

Andy_K Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060
    well... it's easier and faster to restart RTSS ^^

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    These days this just crashes the game. If a game is fairly modern, if you quit or restart RTSS while it's running, it's gone.

cookieboyeli likes this.

11. Unwinder

Some development news.
    Some new card with some new GPU just arrived to my home PC. Which means that I have approximately 1 week to play with it till NDA lifts and possibly improve something on MSI AB side. Current version of MSI AB (4.6.0 beta 8, which MSI will also provide to reviewers) already provides full support for new GPU family, but during this week I'll be able to experiment with one more feature - new NVIDIA overclocking scanner technology and possible include it into MSI AB.

12. khanmein

khanmein Guest

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    @Unwinder What's the default for SyncScanline0? 0 or 1? Thanks.

13. Unwinder

0 = disabled, it is reflected in context help for it

14. cool_recep

cool_recep New Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Gaming X
    • Resetting order removes FPS, FPS Min, Avg, Max and Frametime features from OSD. Have to select again
    • Support for W2990X lacks as I can show only 32 core usage
    • There are some missing and improvable Turkish phrases. How should I proceed?
    • Settings window has a fixed size which makes it hard to update OSD list on a 32 core system. Any plan to add full screen mode to it?

15. Unwinder

"Reset order" does exactly what it is supposed to do, it is resetting the list and order to default state. Framerate related graphs are supposed to be off by design. 32 threads is NOT a MSI AB limitation. Settings window is not resizable and won't be, sorry.

16. Unwinder

I was a bit skeptical about new automatic overclocking technology recently introduced by NV, but after getting the card installed here and after playing with NVIDIA scanner technology and API during a couple days I may say for sure that we'll have NVIDIA scanner supported in MSI Afterburner. Actually, support for it is already implemented so MSI will probably provide this beta to reviewers and you'll be able to read about it a few days later when NDA lifts:

[​IMG]

Stay tuned!

blitzo, Haldi, cowie and 5 others like this.
  17. EdKiefer

EdKiefer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3060ti
    Looks good if it works and is stable on most games.
    Not trying to get you in trouble but the voltage/freq graph seems to max out at 1850 or so, is that the stock graph as I see you hit 2070 on right AB GUI graphs.
    Maybe that just boost3 and how it works.

18. Unwinder

That's a process of searching for the best stable overclock.

19. cookieboyeli

cookieboyeli Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070 @2126
    Dang that is so cool. I gotta say the feature upgrade on reference with the new voltage regulator is pretty sweet. I'm sure you're having fun with it!
    I didn't realize the previous voltage regulator lacked real voltage monitoring.

20. Unwinder

You almost _never_ see real voltage monitoring and typically see target VIDs instead. Real voltage lower/higher than it is supposed to be confuses noobs to death.

Vulkan likes this.