XFX RX 580 GTS Black Edition - is this normal ?!

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by bernek, Jul 21, 2018.

1. deadinhollywood

deadinhollywood Guest

GPU:
    Aorus RX580XTR 8GB
    Yeah - that for sure - 1.2V.

I have a cooler master n200 case. Matx standard with overclocked i5 4670k to 4,5 Ghz. It's hot inside the case - especially now when in Poland we are having 33 degrees.

2. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    Yes you are correct but still I have 4 x 12 fans 2 intake 2 exhaust tried Artic MX4 then Thermal Grizzly and I got it to sit at target temp with a 10% margin of fan speed left (until the soft default limit). I'm happy I can't say I'm not but I blame it on the vBIOS or the cooler itself being sub par.

I think I might try to cross flash from Sapphire Nitro+ a bios to see if there is any difference.

3. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    Same here in Romania and its bellow 30 during the day and inside 24-25 degrees.

I have a Phanteks P300 case with 4 fans 2 intake 2 exhaust 12cm. The CPU is not overclock and its a Ryzen 5 2600 with a big Artic Cooling fan that barely starts to rotate during gaming.

Well I think I have to get used to it ... couldn't find a waterblock for XFX so I used all my options. Maybe Artic cooling makes one ! will check right now.

4. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    You have higher temps because it's xfx. If you would have bought the Aorus or Strix or even MSI's card you would be running cooler. The difference is the cooler, xfx is a budget company, they don't spend the big bucks designing the the high performance custom coolers like those others.

5. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    I can't find a waterblock for this XFX ... You know any aftermarket cooling for it ?

6. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    EK has a full cover block for the 400 series, i doubt much has changed from the 480 to the 580. Only one way too find out and that's comparing boards.

7. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    There are waterblocks for RX580 but the position of VRM is different. I don't know for sure what can be done. I should always think that costs involved by WC might go over the real value of RX580 then it's time to upgrade again.

8. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    Yeah i'm not sure if it's worth investing in a 2 year old GPU. I would look for a second hand waterblock if you really want to do it.

9. bernek

bernek Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7900XT
    Extremely hard for me to come by one in my location ... I can't even find a new one.

10. Gachim_n

Gachim_n Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX 580 8GB
    Just bought my XFX and have litereally same problem, super fast heating to 80 degrees, 89 degrees in Furmark after 2 minutes, super loud fans at 2200 rpm. And it throttling at 89 C, downvolting useless without downclocking gpu. Is thermal interface so bad that I need to replace it just after videocard was bought? Thanks for this thread, a lot of helpful information for me

11. Athlonite

Athlonite Maha Guru

GPU:
    Pulse RX5700 8GB
    How many times do people need to be told that Arctic Silver 5 IS NON CONDUCTIVE! for crying out loud Arctic themselves state it on both their web page and the packaging for AS5

So here it is for everyone who keeps spouting on about it being a conductive thermal paste one more time AS5 IS A NON CONDUCTIVE THERMAL PASTE is everybody clear on that now

12. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Guest

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    Yes it that bad!! I reduced my temps by applying new paste as well made a massive improvement, although, voiding warranty. wattman bugs out hardly applys fan settings correctly. Fresh copy of windows 10 has wattman not loading my save profiles returning from sleep and resets. Also grey screens on default settings. Lol right now my fan will turn on for 3 secs and turn off for 3 seconds it the most annoying sound. One of the gurus made a program here. Check it out.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  13. Gachim_n

Gachim_n Guest

GPU:
    XFX RX 580 8GB
    What's the name of program? Couldn't see that

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    As for the temperature, there is one main comparing factor. It is power consumption of card vs. temperature vs. fan speed.

I mean, My liquid cooled Fury X could easily eat more than 300W with bumped up limits in vBIOS (reported via OSD) and stay in 60~62C range.

Air cooled cards behave differently. And if you have GPU which gets hot, VRMs temperatures should be in question too.
    I expect RX-580 to go usually somewhere between 130~180W. And regular cooling should be able to dissipate that.
    I saw that LM was applied, do you have IR thermometer to check heatsink temperature? Or can you keep finger on heatsink? It should be hot beyond acceptable and should cause painful reaction.

If it is hot, then fan/airflow on card should come into question. If it blows warm/hot air around a lot, then it is air circulation in PC itself.

15. Octopuss

Octopuss Guest

GPU:
    -
    I have what I believe to be the second highest model (1411MHz max clock), and with a little undervolting (1100mV down from 1150) and max fan speed lowered to 1900RPM, the card behaves well enough, say 75°C max.
    I think you have too high expectations of the card. You keep talking about overheating. I see normal temperatures. 80°C is NOT overheating.

16. pimpineasy

pimpineasy Guest

GPU:
    1050ti/Rx570
    The overdriventool