Intel 14nm chip supply shortfall to affect PC shipments for 2H18

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 31, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Intel's prices will get even higher. Hopefully, AMD delivers with their Zen 2 (at least on the consumer segment).

fantaskarsef likes this.
  3. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    So... I just say, things are going to get more expansive as a result. Simple, uneducated statement, but most likely true.

cryohellinc likes this.
  4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Why uneducated? They are and will further increase.

AMD has a great opportunity here if they keep prices low. Zen 2 has all the cards in its hand right now, slap on top of it Navi that is looming somewhere over the horizon, and we may even bigger shifts in the market.

fantaskarsef likes this.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I just meant I'm not an analyst, it's just common sense that they planned wrong, technical difficulties with their fab process, low yields (or low orders of fab time / wafers), and in the end the consumer has to pay for it :D
    I simply can't help but get fed up with that practise, it's an idiot's way of keeping revenue high although they're doing less business. Keeping share prices high etc.

airbud7 and cryohellinc like this.
  6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    They were far too comfortable for far too long without any serious competition. That's the problem of the global tech market, we need more players on it.

My hopes are that Samsung / ARM / Motorola maybe? / Various Chinese, in the next several years, will enter the market with their own CPU solutions. As much as I don't like recent actions by Intel, what I do appreciate is them developing proper GPU's, even if they will come up with something low to mid-range, that will already add variety to GPU market. Ngreedia is too comfortable right now, hence why they want to get away with Turing.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  7. msotirov

msotirov Guest

GPU:
    rx 480
    Time to buy AMD stock?

8. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -

.....x86? Until all programs do not HAVE to be released on x86 on a normal desktop/laptop windows environment, you won't see any of those companies making high end CPUs for desktops.

What they have for smartphones/tablets are great for smartphones and most tablets, but not desktops/laptops or serious number crunching tablets

9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    I'm not talking about their current solutions, but something down the road that they potentially can develop.

10. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Again, x86, unless they somehow get a license (won't happen) to x86 or the entire industry does a massive move towards something other then x86 (extremely unlikely to happen any time soon), then no other CPU manufacturer will be around.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2018

11. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    Haha the time to buy AMD stock was a couple years ago when they where about 2 dollars a share lol They're now sat at about 24 dollars a pop

12. RooiKreef

RooiKreef Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 Ventus
    Well this will only go one way... Intel CPUs will get more expensive and AMD will be selling more CPUs. So unless you are a die heart Intel fan, maybe now is the time to grab a AMD CPU.

cryohellinc and fantaskarsef like this.
  13. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Doubtful they will get any License unless they want to make x128/x96 or something else new, far as i know theyre all open right now and no one holds any rights to them... mind you then its a thing of is it needed and who would buy it and would it work with older x64/x86 tech etc etc, Not a programmer so don't know.... but yeah its all highly unlikely

Zen2 is looking more and more promising specially if they hit their 4.8ghz-5ghz mark, only thing they miss on their cpu side atm is built in GPU, hurts them a little for some machines.

14. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    AMD needs to get Zen2 EPYC out of TSMC as fast as they can. Pay TSMC more to get higher priority or work people around the clock, whatever it takes to move it along faster. If they can send EPYC out the door by end of year they will own server CPU sales in 2019. With Intel not having enough production and AMD having a better product until Intel gets on 10nm that is a combination to sell a ton of server CPU's. I'm pulling for AMD we need the server and desktop market share to even out so we can get some proper competition. I would love to see this in the GPU space as well but i'll take CPU's being competitive first.

15. NewTRUMP Order

NewTRUMP Order Master Guru

GPU:
    rtx 3080
    What is inside of every Intel corporate mind? [​IMG]

16. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    How many of these memes do you have? It seems every other time there's a hint of bad news as Intel, you post a different one of these "<word> inside" things.

17. SmootyPoody

SmootyPoody Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 770 ref
    So now RAM prices are high, GPU prices are high, SSD (all NAND flash based storage) prices are high and now CPU prices (I am not going to get AMD sorry.. Intel is better for the Adobe people out there).. So now we just wait for PSU and cases to expensive also (well just bought a Ncase M1 which is also expensive, so only PSU left).. hmm.. Should have bought a new computer 2 years ago instead of having my dragging my Sandy Bridge for so long..

18. Jay0898

Jay0898 Guest

GPU:
    AMD 270x 2gb
    High prices are why I have a system with a dead gpu. I'm sure this situation will increase prices further.
    Are prices ever going to come down so those of us with low paid jobs (I look after vulnerable disabled people) can afford to get back into pc gaming?
    Will this happen before I get used to not having my pc? I just plug my windows 10 tablet into the monitor, use wireless mouse /keyboard and plug my desktop speakers in. It's great for browsing or watching videos.
    If there was a fallout 5 or witcher 4 coming up it might persuade me. My guess is that when I see a really good game I want it'll be console for me.
    I've been a pc gamer for 19 years but everything is just so expensive :(

19. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    That really sucks and unfortunately i think higher prices are here to stay for good. In your case maybe the best is look for used hardware, with some luck you can find some nice stuff at reasonable prices.

20. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Almost every week something happens with Intel that creates a bigger opening for AMD, whether a new security vulnerability, manufacturing slow-down or new product from competition that gives them a run for their money. AMD better be ready to take advantage of it.