NVidia Anti-Aliasing Guide (updated)

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Cyberdyne, Jan 29, 2012.

1. NeoChaos

NeoChaos Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB
  2. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Well crap that's gonna suck when new cards come out.

i'm on 388.59 and it doesn't happen in Doom 3 for me, anyone ever seen it happen there?

3. Tasteful Bloom

Tasteful Bloom Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070, 8GB
    Does anyone know Sparse Grid compatibility bits for Cry of Fear?

4. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Is it DX9?

5. Tasteful Bloom

Tasteful Bloom Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070, 8GB
    OGL

6. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    You can just try forcing using MSAA+TrSSAA Option. If it works, then you are good. If not then you are SOL unless the game has built in MSAA you can enhance.

7. Johnny99

Johnny99 Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB
    None of the border shaders are compatible, at least in my case, with NVidia Inspector. If I use any of them then anti-aliasing set via NVCP will not be applied in-game.

8. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Are you using ReShade? You have to set the depth bit in the anti aliasing flag (0x00400000) for newer versions of Reshade.
    The old version 1/2 I don't think needed it. And the old SweetFX injectors do not need it at all.(If you just want a border shader for dx9/11 games, find an old SweetFX download pre reshade days)

9. NeoChaos

NeoChaos Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB
    OK, so I just followed the nVidia forums link that I quoted in this post, and apparently there's a new way to work around the blurred textures w/SGSSAA in OGL issues - enable the FXAA option in Inspector. Just tested this in Anachronox, Hexen II (with UQE H2 source port) and Jedi Academy to make sure it was working. Yes, for once applying FXAA actually makes textures less blurry.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  10. dezo

dezo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    @NeoChaos: This actually works in old OGL games with 398.x drivers, thats great. But FXAA on top of TrAA is just weird - I don't like how FXAA affects 2D overlays and texts. I hope there will be another hidden driver parameter to sort this out without FXAA... o_O

Edit: Well scratch that. Just tested in OGL Doom 3 with 398.11 and FXAA on top of TrAA just deactivates TrAA completelly so all the specular aliasing is back. So much for "repairing" the blur. Don't know what others see, but for me it just doesn't work.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018

11. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    What's funny is that I dont' get any of the blur people talk about with Doom 3. Maybe it's because of mods, because for example with the Redux mod, post processing effects from sikkmod like Bloom,SSIL DOF and HDR do make the image softer if enabled.
    The DoF for example breaks with 8xSGSSAA and causes the DoF to have aliasing, where as 4xSGSSAA does not. But when DoF is activated the in focus areas get AA'd slightly different than without.(Slightly softer but better resolve of some specular problems).

But with it tweaked right, I don't really see any evidence of significant over softening of the image with AA.

Example comparison of some PP effects being enabled with 4xSGSSAA creating obvious blur
    http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/118914|

Comparison of tweaked settings (Just DoF on Zoom and in Cutscenes along with HDR enabled) without AA and with 4xSGSSAA. There isn't any significant blurring. Text displays are obviously aliased without AA but do get some minor high frequency attenuation with AA on and no LOD adjustments. Same with other surfaces but nothing like the above comparison.
    http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/118915

Maybe i'll have to check Vanilla D3 again.

Hard to match the shots quickly but here's Vanilla vs the mod
    Very slight sharpness difference (Probably due to having HDR or DoF on in the mod)
    http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/118916

What are you guys seeing with AA and Doom 3?

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  12. dezo

dezo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    @MrBonk: I know how to set it up, no postprocessing here. In vanilla Doom 3 It's not about blur overall - instead some textures are now distorted when using SuperSampling. Mainly some transparent grates under/before lights, and some light bulbs on panels when viewing from angles - it looks like doubled or something (see bellow). In older games like RTCW, Q3A etc. the whole ground texture becomes distorted like that. That hidden flag OGL_OCGCONTROL_DIRECT_NVIR = 2 used to eliminate it completelly, but they must broke it in last few drivers, because all 2D overlays are unreadable noisy mess with it set. Doom 3 is playable, but you know - when seen once, it cannot be unseen. Btw it's not distorted in BFG edition (new engine), but that version really sucks in everything except native WS.

Two sets of screenshots here:
    http://www.screenshotcomparison.com/comparison/118919

Last edited: Aug 21, 2018
  13. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    Is there a way to force AA in Crash Bandicoot: N. Sanity Trilogy? Because my friend told she is using SGSSAA and MFAA by simply using "Enhance application setting".

14. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    That's weird, I don't get this artifact at all with 388.59 with Vanilla doom 3. I don't have that flag set either.
    I am on Windows 7 though, don't know if that would change anything.

As far as I know the game is DX11 and uses TAA. So it should be impossible. However, there used to be a glitch in a really old driver that would enable MFAA and create some effect in games that did not have MSAA. I don't think it does that anymore.
    So unless they have near lossless A/B screenshots to back it up. I would take it with a grain of salt. Unless you want to try it yourself that is.

TAA+downsampling (Maybe a little sharpening if you find it too soft still.) might be a worthwhile alternative. Depending on how many artifacts the TAA introduces in this game that is.

15. dezo

dezo Member Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I am on Win7 too, maybe it's GTX1080 specific. I know it was fixable in 388.x and older drivers by that flag, but in 398.x not anymore. I tried D3 vanilla and various source ports, all the same. Will use MSAA only in older id games, it looks mostly OK.

16. NeoChaos

NeoChaos Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB
    I have a GTX 1070, so it's not 1080-specific. Still, sad to see nVidia breaking such a fantastic feature like this - think I'll have to settle for MSAA+FXAA in OGL games for the time being.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2018
  17. Terepin

Terepin Guest

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4070 Ti
    CB is using FXAA.

18. arcturian

arcturian Guest

GPU:
    Any way to get sgssaa in forza horizon 3?

19. MrBonk

MrBonk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3080 Ti
    Have any screenshots showing on and off?
    I was under the impression the console versions used TAA. I haven't played it or seen any lossless comparisons to verify it though.
    Either way, if true then yeah downsampling is your only option.

Unless it has MSAA you can use to enhance with SGSSAA. Which will be very costly and may not look great.

20. Susahamat

Susahamat Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060ti
    how to make work 64xS in Medal of Honor Allied Assault (OPENGL) ? I've Tried Change Antialiasing 0x0000002C AA_MODE_METHOD_MIXEDSAMPLE_64X but doesn't worked

EDIT : oh sorry i forgot to apply Antialiasing mode - override any application setting . My BAD !

Last edited: Sep 4, 2018