Vivaldi (Chromium based) browser

Discussion in 'General Software and Applications' started by alanm, Aug 18, 2018.

1. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Cant believe I had not heard of it. Puts google chrome to shame. Very customizable, works with chrome extensions, and best of all, I dont need all the extra extensions I had used on chrome just to get it act like a proper browser. Vivaldi is logically designed to do away with all of chromes shortcomings.

Imo it takes the best from chrome and opera and beats both on basically all levels.

https://vivaldi.com/

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    well, I started using it a while ago and it just works. The first versions had a few quirks, but now I didn't find anything to complain. Now I am using the 1.15.1147.42 Linux version at this time.
    Now, the best feature for me is the scheduled theme changer as the time progresses, so at night it switches automatically to a dark theme and in the morning back to the bright theme and syncing that with Redshift who manages the blue light emitted by the screen- browsing bliss.

alanm and SpajdrEX like this.
  3. hyperboarean

hyperboarean Member

GPU:
    Asus Vega 56 Strix
  4. Vibe

Vibe Master Guru

GPU:
    1080 gtx
    I used it for a bit a while back. I didn't really care much for it over Opera. I'm using Edge ATM and i like how fast it is, i mean pages load instantly but it's not very feature rich or anything. I'm considering trying Firefox but so far Opera has been one of my favorites for a while now. Guess it's time to check into the latest browser wars to see who's on top.

And since Avast is spamming me with their crap pop ups, i'm about to find another free AV I can use without all the Ad BS.

5. adabiviak

adabiviak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 980Ti
    Been using it for a while... has some features I miss from the Presta-based Opera.

6. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I tried Vivaldi a while back. Wasn't impressed so I removed it. Been using Waterfox for the last year or so. Leaves a bit to be desired, but it uses fewer resources than Chrome does and doesn't need nearly as many extensions.

I recommend BitDefender Free. It's very lite and has no ads. It lacks any real settings though.

7. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I keep it around as a chromium browser in case I need it. I like it better than chrome at least. The current stable's behind chrome right now except for security patches but the snapshot was also really unstable while it was on 67. Oh well :p

8. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    I've been using Vivaldi for a few weeks now. Much better than the last time I tried it. It's become my preferred browser for most things. One thing that really irritates me though, is that every new tab take focus from the current tab. I can't find a setting to fix this....

9. Right - agreed, I would just add to be aware of the MITM condition of Bit-free; many if not most 3rd-party AVs far as I know. Not saying this is "ulterior", throwing it out for awareness sake.

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Tried it a few days ago. Useless for me. I was looking for a browser to replace Chrome because they broke sync in version 70 (by design). I can't drag&drop links (for youtube videos) in Vivaldi, which I absolutely need.

Using Firefox now.

11. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    It got updated to chrome 70 and a bunch of other stuff but the native notifications flag still has no effect. Bummer. No word about PWA support either.

12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    Is it just me, or does it seem like Vivaldi is too big a thing attempted by too few people?

13. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080