NVIDIA #BeForTheGame - Watch the Gamescom 2018 Livestream

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Larry Cañonga

Larry Cañonga Member

GPU:
    GX 1070
    Regarding Threadrippers... the difference is they're SUPER GOOD bang for the buck if you use multithreaded software, for rendering it kicks real ass. Just try to get an equivalent Xeon system at the same price.

carnivore likes this.
  2. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    What's funny is that many of not most people on this forum criticizing this release, the complete lack of benchmarks, the fact that a product is announced but it's nowhere to be found ( only preorders ), the fact that the presentation only focused on the shiny reflections and nothing else
    ... is coming from people with GeForce xxxx in their profile. That includes myself.

So everyone who blames "AMD fanboys" for the negative comments, please cut the crap.
    We are hardcore NVidia users that still have a brain above our necks.

This RTX "release" is a big pile of horseshit. It looks like one, it smells like one, and you want to stay away from it as far as possible.
    Preordering = "Diving into the horseshit". Enjoy the stink.

3. Prince Valiant

Prince Valiant Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080 ti
    It's sad that this even needs to be said. Have some sense, people, and wait for unbiased reviews instead of trusting the salesman selling you their product.

4. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I would say 18 months at most till we see it in a lot of games. nVidia is likely to push their partners in game development industry to use their library. That guarantees easy access/implementation as whatever cost on performance it may have.

5. Killian38

Killian38 Guest

GPU:
    Ok OK. Edited. Sheesh

6. cowie

cowie Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX
    :D

pre release sales jeez only NVidia and every game maker.
    it has to totally crap on the 10 cards? I am guessing. they did not even give us a nv 1.7x better slides no tease on numbers nothing.

for the 2080 to get 250(0r150) more over the 1080 is kinda out of line and is the reason I think its been a farce so far,i would not call it a release at all.

pretty sure the difference in price will get you a console,that would be great just consoles and phones to play games.

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    In this video, there is not much to be seen. Actually nothing new at all. Huge amount of shadows is baked-in. With worst offender being leaves at 9:11.
    With that being said, only really nice thin I could notice is AO as in lower parts of tower there is everything proportionally darker. But is that impressive at all as it may be baked-in as well?

And with so many baked-in object shadows, there is one thing certain. Light source (daytime) will not change within same level. So why would anyone need raytracing?
    And even that what appears to be AO is baked in as it is missing on many places.

Well, it is not like I got TR for visuals. Or that Visuals allowed me to have 100% completion on all content.

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It is funniest thing I saw in a week. I almost laughed when I saw RTX price tags, but this... And fact that you are offended by it makes it even funnier.

@wavetrex : What a sense for humor.

But what's chance that nVidia's AI used for deblocking and improving of video stream would do this? I can totally see it!

9. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
  10. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    I will ignore the price , and go with the things that rubbed me of in a bad way, while rtx is nice and for tech demos looks amasing ....on the presentation 20 of the month was sure a lot of slowing down and pointing so i can notice it...and was all about to convince me i should want rtx , and if the rumors are true and the 2060 and bellow are GTX cards ....then rtx will be optional like physix was for a long time .no way any aaa game will be build to look like crap on 2050/2060 cards and all past gen cards. Will see i guess.

11. scaredchimp

scaredchimp Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia GTX970 SLI
    So as someone whom has a gtx970 is it worth waiting and getting a 2070 for 2080 or just go with a 1080ti.

Normally would play games with all the bells at dsr 2k, happy with 50-60fps

12. millibyte

millibyte Maha Guru

GPU:
    Smoothbore125mm gun
    The future is now. Nvidia is coming with the bells and the whistles, all for under 2 grand-- at a glorious, cinematic 30 fps in FULL HD! Rip those crappy Vega, Polaris, Maxwell and Pascal dinosaurs out of your rigs and throw them in the trash. If you don't have RTX in your PC, you may as well be dead.

13. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    You do realize, I hope, that $200-$300 GPUs will outsell $900-$1300 GPUs at least 50-1--if not 100-1, right? The only reason Intel is even in the GPU numbers games at all--and usually leads everyone--is because of the huge number of bottom-performing dirt-cheap IGPs the company sells.

So have at it--buy all of the ~$1000 + GPUs you like, of course. Perhaps 10-20 fps in some games is worth a several-hundred dollar premium for some people. To each his own--Caveat Emptor, is all I will say...It's 4k performance that will count the most in $600 and up GPUs from now on, imo. That has yet to be determined. Meanwhile, I will say that these representations by nVidia of what the cards will look like is interesting--they look oddly like window-mounted A/C units, actually...;) That was my first thought....

14. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    How about this wild theory.

NVIDIA hit a max with their CUDA cores and also a max with clocks. Meaning, they simply can't put any more of them in a chip and get more performance, and clocks topped at that magic 2ghz on current processes.
    One little hint of that is Titan V, with it's amazing 5120 CUDA cores and ultra-fast HBM2 memory, is -barely- able to beat the Titan XP in games.

So, the company scratched their head... what can we give gamers to make them buy a next generation, we can't just sell Pascals forever... because we cant' give them more performance, it has hit a ceiling.

The answer was... well, ray-tracing.
    But this wasn't meant for consumer cards, actually, that 10 years in development was VERY LIKELY for the media industry, giving ray-tracing acceleration to content creators, to sell incredibly expensive Quadro chips.

But when there was no alternative for the consumer chips.. BAM ! Harvested Quadro chips now sold as cut down RTX 2070/80/80 Ti.

I have a strong feeling that the new and amazing RTX chips will not beat Pascal equivalents at all (maybe 10% if lucky, and only at 4K), and that is because they will clock LOWER than pascal, due to the very big and complex chip (and power hungry, and hot)

Even more crazy wild theory:
    - Even so, yields are very low for these (as they are originally huge, professional chips), and their availability will be weak for the entire next year.
    - This pre-order stunt was done to grab as much cash on these defective chips before the truth comes out, because with those prices will be a very tough pill to swallow with just 10% performance uplift.
    - They had no choice, and HAD TO RELEASE SOMETHING, because with the fall of mining craze, the market is inundated with 2nd hand Maxwells, Pascals and everything else, meaning very few people (relatively) would buy NEW ones.
    - They know something about AMD, possibly Navi or Vega 2 WILL be much faster than expected, and it will beat both Pascal and Turing in raw horsepower, in all existing games.

The ray-tracing is supposed to be the savior of this gen, and that's why they pushed the marketing so hard for it, inventing crappy meaningless performance values (Jiga-rays, tensor-flops), instead of bragging of how much faster they are in all games run at 4K, like they did with previous 3-4 gens.

History will prove this theory right.. or wrong.
    Guess we'll find out soon enough.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
    AlmondMan, H83, Luc and 3 others like this.
  15. Killian38

Killian38 Guest

GPU:
    I drop more jiga-rays from my bathroom light bulb than this card ever thought about producing. Sorry for the "graphic" nature of the post.

16. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Good read, lol.

17. Fergutor

Fergutor Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Super GX
    First, english is not my language, putting that attention to that is of course a low and cheap red herring.
    Second, what I said is a simplification and generalization because of time (the important part was going to start anytime), because of the stereotype (confirmed of course) for her looks and the words she said that she didn't know, and then she didn't even understand what the dude was saying. Proving what I said that she clearly doesn't belong there at all. Then there was another girl, again dyed hair, clueless: "I don't know" "I have no idea" etc. Confirming again that they do not belong there, and with "don't belong there" I mean imagine if you were bein interviewed in an industry wich you know absolutely nothing about and you also don't really care...but you're exited because other reasons and being interviewed because how you look making you a token for them. They are what they look to be, no mistake at all, so why you come up with:
    Third, gigantic ironny from your absolute and cheap strawman of "The way you pander around aimlessly with your senseless tirade indicates no more and no less than that you are a misogynist, and that you probably treat female gamers around you like absolute crap." Nothing I said is about "women", but about useless invading, destroying, cancerous SJWs. Low and cheap manipulation of the same kind as any of the "everyone I don't like is a *****" and similar, that only very dumb, sectarian and confused people can take as valid "argumentation". Then even worse assuming how I treat (I don't do that, is what bullies and stupid do, men and women), let me assume, then, as you like it so much, you, getting all triggered and confused by me criticising some women and "thinking" that because of that I hate all women (look at the supremacist, huh?) I assume you are a "male feminist" which they are known for being that precisely to compensate for their terribly misbehaving with women.
    So, you don't understand, you tergiverse, you pander, you virtue signall like there's no tomorrow, you manipulate and you reveal yourself as the worse for what you pretend to defend. Tell me more then, Mr. fallacies, show us how much the ironies are escaping you…
    Oh, and sorry for my english...

18. slyphnier

slyphnier Guest

GPU:
    GTX1070
    if that the case, then why not just keep milking pascal a bit longer ?
    like giving a slight price drop that keep good-sales etc.

in current market, their rival (amd) also dont have new card (*navi) ready yet either
    so no reason, to release "unnecessary" product
    especially if ur guessing right, that raw-performance isnt much better than pascal, which seems most people asking for rather than "gimmick" ray-tracing
    it wont make them good-sales either, given at high-pricing ... so many things not make sense

19. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    If your GTX 970 is holding up well enough at the moment I'd keep it until end of 2019 or 2020 when 7nm next generation of NVidia might come out (a long wait though & maybe a big ask of your GTX 970). Those will be better cards in raw horsepower, large bump to general performance due to the die shrink, plus they will have improved their ray tracing capabilities of the cards by that point too. Or, maybe you could buy the next generation of AMD when it comes out on 7nm (maybe they will have ray tracing capability too). If you buy a GTX 1080ti then I'm guessing you'd want to keep it for a couple/few years to justify your purchase, at which point you'd be missing out on ray tracing goodness over the latter part of that time period - although if you were willing/happy to keep GTX 1080ti until Spring 2020 then I don't think you'll miss too much ray tracing.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2018
  20. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    the problem for me is that a 2080 ( even FE ) is a actually cheaper than a 1080ti right now.