Motorcycles?

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by CalculuS, Aug 14, 2018.

?

Do you ride a motorcycle?

1. Yes

47.1%
  2. No

41.2%
  3. No but I would like to.

11.8%
  1. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    Any guru's who ride motorcycles? Because of the laws here in the Netherlands I rode smaller bikes for a long time but in 2 month's i'll finally be able to ride a bigger bike. My love for motorcycles started when I got a scooter from the ex of my mom at 16.

Rex escape 50cc

[​IMG]

Ah the memories, when I first got it my dad fixed it for me. It had a weird vacuum leak where it sometimes wouldn't take throttle. Pretty awkward when you overtake some cyclists and then suddenly it lurches and you awkwardly stay the same speed as them. Broke down pretty often but always fixed relatively easily. Last year it broke down pretty extensively so me and a good friend bought a complete rebuild kit and rebuild it. It rode like a dream. However it got stolen at my workplace, they were caught on camera's like little idiots. Long story short I caught them still in the area and they got arrested pretty easily. I still have the scooter but currently it's in my shed with all the locks picked. Waiting on court/police stuff so I can fix it and have my old reliable robin again.

Kymco Quannon 125
    [​IMG]

I saw this bike on the dutch version of craigslist for a mere 700 euro's. I was 17 at the time and begged my dad to loan me the money, we picked it up and instantly bought it. There was really nothing wrong with it except that it missed the grey middle fairing and needed an oil change. I wasn't allowed to ride it yet since I didn't have my motorcycle license but was planning to when I turn 18. I used to get up at 5 am and ride it before school so my parents wouldn't find out. When I turned 18 I realized a motorcycle license is really expensive and I couldn't afford it at the moment. I sold the bike to a young guy for a nice profit, (1000 euro) he still rides on it.

Rieju RS2 Matrix 50

[​IMG]

Now this was a bike I bought after the whole ordeal of not having money, it was pretty cheap but well it was a piece of crap. It's legally a scooter since the engine is scooter sized but since it was 2-stroke it pretty much got up to 110km/h. I regret this bike but it was fun, sometimes. Ended up selling it since there was just so much wrong with it. It leaked coolant, the rear brake was completely broken, the suspension was completely soft and dry, there was something wrong with the transmission, it would randomly stop starting for odd reasons, etc.. I sold it for barely 400 euro's.

Derbi Senda X-treme Limited Edition 2017 50

[​IMG]

This bike I got for my birthday, brand new. 3.5k euro's, and my god it was a piece of crap. I had to do a lot of fiddling to get it running right and a lot broke. Not expensive things broke but annoying pieces like the intake rubber boot and the fuel petcock. It was fun to drive but now having a bigger bike makes me realize how unsafe and ridiculous this thing is. I'm currently selling it to anyone who's willing to pay more than 1800 euro's for it. (It only has 7200km on the odometer).

Orion RX125 Extreme

[​IMG]

This bike is kind of an unique thing, very cheap and very cheap parts. It's legally a scooter but with a 125cc motorcycle engine in it. Orion sells their motorcycles as kind of a legal loophole, they make all their models in 50/125 and 250cc versions and only the engine and cooling systems are different, this way you can buy an engine from the 125cc or 250cc version and just fit it right inside the 50cc bike. This bike is pretty worn but the engine is new from a buddy of mine with only 3800km on it. I spend about 500 euro's on it to get it shiny and completely working again. I bought it for 700 euro's as a play toy to have something to play with until I get my big motorcycle license.

When I turn 20 in october i'm looking at several bikes like a Suzuki Bandit, Honda hornet, Kawasaki Z750, Yamaha MT-07, anything naked/super-naked around the 90 horsepower range.

Sorry about the flipped images, made them by phone a long time ago.

So yeah, that was my story with motorcycles. This thread could function as a motorcycle general thread if more guru's ride.

StewieTech likes this.
  2. StewieTech

StewieTech Chuck Norris

GPU:
    MSI gtx 960 Gaming
    Nah, dont really care for them. Dont like cars particulary either. For me they are means of going from A to B and nothing more. I can see the appeal though.

3. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Man I loved motorcycles when I was younger! ....riding with the wind in your hair and a fine chick in a bikini on back! ...

This is me a few years ago

[​IMG]

F**k Yea! .....:D

StewieTech likes this.
  4. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Kawasaki 250SL. I use it almost everyday and I don't know what I would do without it.

[​IMG]

airbud7 likes this.

5. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Nope!

6. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    Sweet

7. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    Not anymore, losing my driving licence would cause too many problems. Find it hard to follow the speedlimits with motorcycle.

8. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I had a Suzuki 125 when I was around 13-14. Haven't ridden in years but I would love to get back into it.

9. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I can't help myself... ;)

How Airdog sees himself

[​IMG]
    How the world sees Airdog....

[​IMG]

sykozis and jbscotchman like this.
  10. scandalous

scandalous Master Guru

GPU:
    980TI Classified
    Yup! From NL as well and I ride a z750. Gonna change to a z900 in March. Best toy ever imho.

And we had awesome weather this summer, so was able to ride quite a bit.

From what I understand you're going to be riding under the A2 license right? Even though I have the bike, don't get the z750. It's too heavy for what it is and I'd recommend a mt-07 over it. Much better ride tbh.

Once you're you're allowed to ride under the A license, the mt-09, z900 and BMW S1000r are highly recommended. Go with the ktm 1290 super duke or mt-10 if you're bold (crazy power).

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    airbud7 likes this.

11. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    I'm set on an Honda hornet, I wanted to go for the mt-07 but its really really expensive. Besides that I prefer the inline-4 engine vs crossplane 2.

I couldn't find any decent z750's which are in my budget with injection so i'm probably going for this model;

[​IMG]

airbud7 likes this.
  12. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Not sure if they have them there but why not look for a CB or CBR? Anything above the 600 is an inline 4.

13. scandalous

scandalous Master Guru

GPU:
    980TI Classified
    Nice man, that's not a bad bike to go with. I forgot to ask what your budget was and the MT-07 doesn't come cheap. You might be able to find at a Suzuki GSR 750 if you're lucky, but I'm not sure if they come in a A2 package. Don't forget to look at the Z800 A2 model. There aren't many but you never know. Besides that, there's the Kawasak ER-6N too. Now that the z650 is out, the ER-6N should drop in price quite a bit.

If I'm correct, he's not allowed to ride a CBR 600RR with his current license. He'll have to wait another 2 years for that. Plus it's a supersport. Based on his choices so far, I'm guessing he wants a naked bike instead of a racer. Honda CB is pretty expensive, especially the newer ones. But a CB 500F might still be in his price range.

14. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    The honda hornet is a CB practically, i'm not fond of full supersport because of the ergonomics.

I'm okay with the bike costing up to 3000 euro's. I tried GSR750S' but they are expensive just like the mt-07's. ER-6N have horrible ugly headlights, I checked for the z800 aswell but its kind of rare.

15. scandalous

scandalous Master Guru

GPU:
    980TI Classified
    Gotcha. Last recommendation I have is the Suzuki GS 500 F and GS 500 E. I haven't researched the lower powered models too much since I've never had to ride one. But I know the Hornet is an excellent choice since I've been able to ride that one at least.

16. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Is the CB in your part of the world a sport bike? CB series here in the US sit like a standard with sport plastics and frame.
    [​IMG]

17. scandalous

scandalous Master Guru

GPU:
    980TI Classified
    Yup we have those here. But he's not allowed to ride that one yet.

airbud7 likes this.
  18. CalculuS

CalculuS Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660Ti
    What I mean was that the Hornet is basically a CB, the super sport comment was about the CBR.

19. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Gotcha. Didn't know what models are where, I know here have the NC, CB, CBR, VRF, and what not.

20. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    I'm curious about the license thing ...is the bike to big for him?/ how does it work there?

we only take one test and it covers all motorcycles.