New PC speakers advice

Discussion in 'Soundcards, Speakers HiFI & File formats' started by H83, Aug 15, 2018.

1. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Hi guys,

so after more than 10 years! of service, i´m thinking about retiring my current speakers (Logitech S200) for something better. But audio is an unknown area for me so i´m looking for some advice from the audio experts here at Guru3d.

Some guidelines, i always listen music when i´m using my PC normally because i don´t like the sound of silence... Or the sound of the PC working... So speakers that play music better are a priority. Then next comes sound performance in gaming. The budget is no more than 100€ unless there´s something a little more expensive that´s really worth it over something cheaper. Also, very important is the size of the speakers, my desktop is on a small desk, so small that my ultrawide screen overhangs a little on the sides... Because of this my speakers are lying down instead of standing because otherwise i can´t turn them on/off... Also the distance between the desk and the wall is small. About this last point, are there speakers that turn on/off automatically when the PC is powered on/off???

So after some research i found some speakers that seem to fit my needs:

- Bose companion 2 III - look good but i would have to place them sideways because they are too deep for my desk?
    - Logitech Z337 2.1 - also look good and have a decent price. And have bluetooth.
    - JBL creature 3 - stylish and small and has the controls on the subwoofer, something handy for my case.
    - Logitech Z623 200W - some of the best speakers a man can buy for his system but also the most expensive. Don´t know if they are worth it for a guy like me...

In case you guys have other suggestions, feel free to tell me about them.

Thanks for the help!!!

BTW, stupid question, sometimes when my desktop is too close or far from the wall, the sound from the speakers becomes much weaker, almost muffled. When the desk it´s on a certain distance the sound becomes much clearer and powerful, sometimes too powerful... Can some one explain me why this happens? It´s something related with the cables?

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    My 2c, don't get junk satellite speakers.

Get 2 bookshelf speakers; they are by far superior to those small satellites.

If space is an issue, you can wall mount them above your desk..

metagamer likes this.
  3. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    For performance vs price, headphones are king. Barring that, do you have a standalone amp/receiver to drive some speakers?

In the past, I had a Klipsch ProMedia 5.1, and I replaced the plastic sats with a set of Quintet II's, and wow, what a difference. Nice size, and mineral construction. When I got into DVD-A audio, I started to get compression issues with those sats, and I then moved onto a Yamaha receiver and a 5.1 setup of Infinity Primus 150 + 250 Center (and a DIY subwoofer). I still have this setup.

You could also look at some near-field monitors. They have active ones which are self-powered, which may suit your situation.

4. Sabbath

Sabbath Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 Super
    Hi,
    I like my music too hence my name. If i was looking for speakers today i would get these Bose make some good Sperkers.
    Bose Companion 2 Series III Multimedia Computer Speaker System

5. nhlkoho

nhlkoho Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2080ti FE
    I finally just retired my trusty Logitech Z5300's a couple weeks ago after almost 15 years. They still worked perfect but I wanted something new. I went with the Klipsch R15PM and couldn't be happier. They are a little pricey but they also make a non-powered version in your price range if you have an amp.

I agree with Agent, don't get another cheap set of satellite speakers. My logitech set was a high-end set at the time but these bookshelf speakers already blow them away.

6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Klipsh pro media 2.1!!! I still want them still best 2.1 speakers I ever heard to this date, just can bring my self to pay that much for them, my 20year old Logitech ACS48 just recently became so bad I cant use them anymore ( there massive buzzing coming from the speakers now just being power on no actual input connected) and I have not bothered to get replacements I just use you wireless headphones now

7. drandiiski

drandiiski Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1060 6GB OC
    May I suggest considering this pair of Edifier speakers. I do have them and here are some of the reasons why:

Sound quality is amazing for the price and size
    You can add a subwoofer if you feel like it
    They have digital inputs, so you don’t need to buy a good sound card too
    A remote control
    Bluetooth
    Tone controls

Good luck! ;)

8. aaronne

aaronne Member

GPU:
    RTX 3070 MOBILE
    CarvedInside likes this.
  9. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Hi guys,

first of all, many thanks for all the help and suggestions so far, i really appreciate it.

So regarding everyone´s input so far, i see that most suggest bookshelf speakers because they simple the best. I have no reason to think otherwise although i still think for my case some simple speakers would be a better solution... But i got curious so i look up for them on Google. I almost quit immediately when i saw the price of those things! Fortunately there are bookshelf speakers for the common men with some very nice prices, specially this one, the Edifier R1280T that even has the amplifier incorporated. There´s also the Edifier R980T and the Dayton Audio B653 Air. Are those good choices and are they worth it over normal speakers???

Thanks again for all the help guys!

10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Dayton Audio came out of a DIY project, and took off. Should provide good sound for an affordable price. They also sell matching subwoofers.

11. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    I think bookshelf speakers are normal speakers and those 2.1 Logitech sets some PC speakers.

If you are running out of space on the desk, is there room around the desk ? Thinking about speaker stands for bookshelf speakers (you might find a good deal somewhere), but will not fit in that 100€ budget with speakers/monitors.

Low frequency sound will not go to just one direction where you put your speakers, it will leak also from the back, top, bottom, sides… Usually you can make something sound good at one position (in your normal room), but when you move around a bit, it's another story. Something here:
    http://arqen.com/acoustics-101/speaker-placement-boundary-interference/

12. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    I've seen people recommend Bose here. I don't. They are too expensive for that they offer. For example, if you get $300 Bose speakers, you usually can find speakers with the same quality from other brands at $200, or speakers with better quality at the same price.

Similar story for Logitech, Sony and Creative.

I'd suggest to look at reviews for 2.0 speakers from brands like Audioengine, Klipsch and Edifier. I only recommend 2.1 speakers if you're not interested in music at all. These are OK for games and movies, but for music, satellites are really not recommended, and sub woofers are not good enough to make up for the missing mid-range of satellites. Also, once you get to about 5.5" woofers with 2.0 speakers, bass is pretty good already and don't need an extra sub woofer, unless you're in a large living room or other large room. But then, 2.1 speakers would be rather useless too for very large rooms.

It might take a while to search for the "perfect" speakers for your price range, but it's worth it if music is important.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018
    anxious_f0x and carnivore like this.
  13. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Man, thank you a lot!
    I have something to save cash for, my cheapo 5.1 Creative speakers are long due to an upgrade.

14. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    So i´ve done some research and the Edifier 1280T seems a solid choice for my case but space is an issue... So if i place them normally, towards me, a very big part is going to be blocked by the screen, i if i place them sideways them the sound won´t "come" directly to me and if i i lay them down, like my current speakers are, they are going to be partially blocked... Opinions??? Thanks!

15. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    A pic of your work area would help.

16. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    https://ibb.co/cbe0Hp
    https://ibb.co/cHs9A9

The screen is so wide that the edges overhang and the speakers are laid sideways... The problem is that the Edifier speakers are much bigger...

Sorry for the crappy images, i was expecting better from my P10... Or maybe i´m just a crappy photographer...

17. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    You really need speaker stands. Find a couple of cheap ones that are the same height of your desk. Or actually, slightly below the height of your ears when you're sitting down (so that the speakers will be ear-height.)

18. Victormolyneaux

Victormolyneaux Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA Quadro M4000 8GB V
    I have a Asus X99 Deluxe motherboard for my home office computer with a hearty audio system on the motherboard

it supports

Realtek® ALC1150 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC featuring Crystal Sound 2
    - Supports : Jack-detection, Multi-streaming, Front Panel Jack-retasking
    - High quality 112 dB SNR stereo playback output (Line-out at rear) and 104 dB SNR stereo playback input (Line-in)
    - High-fidelity audio OP AMP(s)
    Audio Feature :
    - DTS Ultra PC II
    - DTS Connect
    - Optical S/PDIF out port(s) at back panel
    - BD Audio Layer Content Protection
    - Audio Shielding: Ensures precision analog/digital separation and greatly reduced multi-lateral interference
    - Dedicated audio PCB layers: Separate layers for left and right channels to guard the quality of the sensitive audio signals
    - Audio amplifier: Provides the highest-quality sound for headphone and speakers
    - Premium Japanese-made audio capacitors: Provide warm, natural and immersive sound with exceptional clarity and fidelity
    - Unique de-pop circuit: Reduces start-up popping noise to audio outputs
    - Top notch audio sensation delivers according to the audio configuration
    - EMI protection cover to prevent electrical noise to affect the amplifier quality

Wireless Data Network
    Wi-Fi 802.11a/b/g/n/ac
    Supports dual band frequency 2.4/5 GHz
    Support ASUS Wi-Fi Go! Utility
    Up to 1300Mbps transfer speed

What speaker system do you guys recommend ?

happy to pay $$$$ say up to $1,000

wireless or hardwired ? - small office space - sometimes party on nearby deck - I know nothing about this stuff

19. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    A few things
    1. steer clear from the "gaming" brands and rubbish like Bose.
    2. have you considered headphones?
    3. what will you be plugging these speakers (or headphones) into? Onboard? Soundcard? External solution?
    If you do decide to go down the headphone route, and I think you should seriously consider it, you'll find many gurus happy to help, as headphones seem to be more discussed on here than speakers.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  20. Victormolyneaux

Victormolyneaux Guest

GPU:
    NVIDIA Quadro M4000 8GB V
    I would prefer some speakers - my home office phone rings and I need to answer it - headphone on occasions OK - I will get some as well
    https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvsSti4MiR-2hQeNRuT7Lcy9aB0S

link showing i/o connections available

and there are the wireless ports