Considering oculus or vive, but maybe wait for next gen.?

Discussion in '3D Stereo and VR Gaming Section' started by sneipen, Jul 26, 2018.

1. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    I considered getting a vr headset for some time now, but iv had more important things to use my hard earned cash on.. But this year im looking at the vive and rift again, and im really tempted to jump into the 3d world.
    I have played racing sims, i used allot of time in project cars. Even upgraded my old logitech momo wheel for a thrustmaster rs, difference was just wow. Racingsims is one of the things i really think it would be great to have a rift. But i also see other things thats probably fun with vive\rift. But there are a few things i dont like with current gen, tho vive pro has improved some of the things it cost way more that im willing to pay atm. Anyways, racing sims in vr looks fun and more natural than on a monitor. Im also guessing the depth you get with vr headsets can improve the experience. I always missed depth in racing games.

1. Resolution. I tried playstation headset for a minute in a store. Ps had a racing game on. It was really fun, but the resolution suuuucked. Image was really pixelated, it really drag down the experience. I know rift\vive has a bit higher resolution. But is it enough? How is imagequality when using aa etc etc to improve imagequality?

2. When can we expect something better to arrive on the marked, thats cheaper than the vive pro? This is also something that worries me a bit. I know i want higher resolution, so if i buy a rift not long after something better will come that will have improved screens or other stuff that current gen have issues with.
    Is there something better coming out soon that makes buying now a bad idea?

3. How is the experience with rift\vive in games like project cars, dirt or other games?
    For example, if i get a rift and play some project cars. Is the image resolution so poor that seeing things at a distance crap? Anyone using vr for games like this that can share your experience? It would suck if i get one and it end up collecting dust because resolution is to low, or other issues that hasnt been 100% solved.
    How does oculus rift compare to playstation vr? I have decent hardware, so in theory i can bumb up settings etc much higher than a ps or any other console can atm.

Tnx for reply's. I can say, if i buy now im probably going to get the rift because of the price and it seems like many like the rift better. But i havent decided 100% yet, so im open to suggestions.
    Also, if anyone has tried vive pro and regular vive. Pls share your experience about how the higher resolution improves the experience..

:)

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Wait for next gen.
    There are lots of niggles with current kit, some little, some not good at all.
    Many of these will be solved or improved.
    I play Project Cars / 2 and the resolution really does need to be higher for distance viewing.
    Its a great experience on the Rift but it needs to be better.

I agree the Rift is a lot better image quality, the Vive wasnt good enough imo. Terrible focus and much worse streak problems. I was refunded for my Vive because they were just too bad.
    If you were asking over a year ago I would say go for the Rift. There is a mod to fix lens streaks using a cheaper headsets lenses.
    But just round the corner is a much better experience, hold tight!

3. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    I tried to find info about next gen. My plan was to wait for it, but... Looks like we have to wait some time before next gen comes out. Some sources state it can be 1-2 years until we see a rift 2 or what ever they decide to call it when released. Considering getting a used one, save some bucks as long i can find a used one without any dmg.
    One voice says wait, but for how long, other voice have wanted to experience 3d since rifts first prototype. To bad they havent released something like vive pro, better display but cheaper than the vive pro. Its so damn expensive. :p

4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I just picked up a Dell visor from ebay, and i am loving it, no external sensors and no god rays, plus a highr screen res, yes it has it pro and cons but i think this is how vr will proceed, internal sensors is what will help make this more main stream and more user friendly.

5. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Well, i got a vive. Played around with it for a couple of day before i decided to return them. The resolution was just to low for my taste, plus lenses isnt the greatest..
    I played some superhot, raw data, dirt rally and project cars.
    Superhot was really fun, worked very well in vr. I hit my roof, walked into the wall and was about to put controller on a ingame barrel. Haha.
    Raw data i had issues. It didnt wanna use more than 40% of my gpu while fps was max 70's. Also had some weird tracking issues.. Also, the low resolution was hard to ignore in this game. Robots at distance was just pixels..
    Dirt rally worked well, but vive just has to low resolution. I had a hard time seeing where the road ended, plus looking a bit far ahead (like you naturally do when driving) it was so muddy\pixelated. Project card was better. But it was hard to see what was going on 15+ meters infront of me..
    I tried everything to improve imagequality, supersampling. Adjusted everything. But there isnt much you can do about resolution other than get better screens..

All in all. Vr is very impressive when it works. Superhot was a very cool experience. Rest of the games the screen door effect was just to strong. I could see sub pixels. I have no idea how some claim they dont see the pixels. Its not like i have a superb vision..
    Im looking forward to next gen. Hope higher resolution will remove some of the sde, and improved lenses is welcome.. If next gen isnt comming before 2020 i will consider buying used headset for the right price. I already miss playing superhot. :p

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Sadly you chose the worse headset, its pixels are spread more thin, its way more blurry/streaky and has worse screen door.
    You will still see pixels with Rift but its easier to not notice them.
    Rift remains in complete focus along the horizontal axis (Vive is only in the dead centre) and it is less blurry above/below that.
    Rift still has some streaks but much less.
    Thats saying nothing of the Vives extra weight, headset imbalance, lower comfort, annoying ear inserts and bulky less intuitive controllers.
    Rift is much easier to wear/remove and is so comfortable. The controllers are fantastic and it sounds better.
    You may have been able to live with the Rift.

I found the Vive hard to use in many ways. it was a chore. I remember looking at the box and being sad I didnt want to get the latest tech toy out.
    Rift is quite a delight by comparison.
    fyi in case you get a chance to try one without cost. You have the bug now!

Having gone this far I will answer part of your first post about AA.
    Turning up supersampling (ie running in much higher res) really helps get rid of jagged edges and exposes a little more detail rather than blurring it. Its the best AA in VR.
    I upgraded from a 980ti to a 1080ti so I could turn that up higher.
    Your 1080 is decent enough.

ASW (Asynchronous Time Warp) on the Rift uses interpolation to need only 1/2 the gpu power for the same framerate.
    If you can adjust to the tiny lag its a real bonus for allowing even higher image quality.
    It can take time to get used to and is great for seeing how good things can look.
    I generally race without it but there have been times I've not realised it is on.

Its a tough call.
    If you hadnt already tried VR I would refer you to post 2.

ps
    Project Cars 2 is much better in VR than Project Cars.
    It runs with higher framerate so you can turn quality options up higher.
    ie even more supersampling and some quality tweaks!

Last edited: Aug 10, 2018
  7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Yeap, and i will tell you what made the Rift even worse for me, getting a PSVR, this hmd has no god rays and the screen door effect is the lowest i have ever seen on any hmd, and once i had opened that bottle of no God rays and very little SDE i just could not go back to the Rift, but at least the WMR ones with higher res and similar lower sde are moving in that direction, i think the next batch of hmd's in 2019/20 will see these two issue gone completly. :)

It is annoying though, i am sitting here with three different VR tech and between the three i could take one thing and make the best VR headset to date.....
    Higher screen res from the Dell.
    Lowest SDE and no GR from the PSVR.
    Motion controllers from the rift.
    .......i tried wearing all three at once but that did not work.:p

8. sneipen

sneipen Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 1080
    Hehe.
    I tried psvr in store one time. I didnt have allot of time to play with it but my impression is that the resolution is terrible on the psvr. Worse screen door effect than the vive and rift has.. I didnt notice godrays tho, but it wasnt dark. They had a racing game on, it was daytime ingame. I have some cheap mobile vr for my phone. My impression is that the lenses on this device is better than the vive considering visual artifacts, noise. I could see the rings on the vive lenses. When i noticed it for the first time it was impossible not to see them. I dont understand why they dont uses better lenses... xD
    Even tho if they somehow manage to remove the screen door effect, the resolution is absolutely crap. Hehe. I didnt have issues with framerate, so i tried supersampling etc to improve things. But there is a limit for how much it helps, there is just to few pixels and i dont understand why vive pro uses the same lenses. The pro should have had better ones, for the price they want for it..

9. asp

asp Guest

GPU:
    Vega 64
    I think if you can test the unit in the store, its the only way anyone should ever buy headsets. I have one for my drone, and while it does work well enough, I could never use it for gaming.

The problem is that everyone has a different sized head, and different distance between eyes, and different quality of vision. These things conspire to make many (most?) people at least somewhat frustrated with these headsets, when gaming at least, because we tend to play games for long sessions.

Personally I am shopping for a 3d DLP projector. Looks like the right one will cost about double the price of a headset, but it will be perfectly comfortable to use with these highspeed shutter glasses which are cheap, and I can bring the hot chicks over to watch movies as well, and I can still see my security camera screen when using it and not be trapped inside a headset.

All these VR titles are crappy graphics because no computer can render triple AAA titles in 3D. If I want exercise I'll go out for a nice walk.

10. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well Oculus have just announced a newer version of the Rift, is on the way, the Oculus S, they have removed the external sensors and replaced tracking via 5 inside out cameras built into the unit, they have bumped up the screen res slighlty, they are using the Go lenses, plus other pros and cons.