Review: Asus RoG Swift PG27UQ Finally 4K G-SYNC 144Hz Gaming!

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 10, 2018.

1. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    But to be fair, the world of HIFI, even high end products often have less than stellar components matching the price. A lot of it is downright snakeoil.

2. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    The big elephant in the room is that it's currently impossible to play AAA games at their max quality on 4K / 144Hz with current GPUs. SLI/Xfire is nearly dead, so putting two of them will still not hit the target.

Price or no price, this display is released too early.
    And by the time the next gen GPUs will be common in enthusiast PC's, there will be many other offers with similar capabilities, without the horrendous price.

I'm personally waiting on the next Ultra-Wide resolution, possibly something like 4096x1756 pixels ( True 4K 21:9 ) @ 200Hz (I'll settle with Ultra-Wide UHD as well (3840 x 1646) @ 200Hz).
    Currently using an ASUS PG348Q which was very expensive at the time, but still less than half of this one's price ! And it's bigger... 34". I will never go back to standard Wide (16:9)

3. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    May not have to wait long. Samsung is expected to begin manufacturing 5120x1440p 120hz ultra-wides next month. 49". Despite the massive sounding number of pixels, its less pixels than a 4k display, so should be easier to run.

4. Aitortxo

Aitortxo Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1080ti TRIO
    and that bezel...

5. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I'm not saying the thing is worth the money but I don't know how you can sit here and claim this monitor is a cash grab. I keep seeing people say you can get 65" TV's for this price - but 65" TVs are actually easier to manufacture (due to density decrease in both backlight and pixel layout). You can cut defect TV panels and reuse them for other devices (these are all the black friday TV's). The market for TV's is significantly larger so your R&D costs are spread out over millions of TV's vs tens of thousands of these monitors. TV's aren't hitting sub 10ms input latencies @ 144Hz so you not only have a higher tolerance rate for the panels required but for all the other electronics as well. TV's don't have a $2000 Arria 10 GX 480 G-Sync module in them (It's been rumored that Nvidia is paying about $500 for these).

So yeah, while I don't think the feature set here matches the cost of the monitor (mostly because a lot of this tech is going to get replaced) I also don't think ASUS/AU Optronics or Nvidia are making much off these things. AU is probably making the most - for ASUS it's probably more about the branding and for Nvidia it's about selling high end GPU's to power it.

yasamoka likes this.
  6. ELIAS-E

ELIAS-E Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080TI
    Finally someone with a good brain.
    This what I always want to say.
    2500$ monitor less than perfect is completely unacceptable.
    - It is not 0 dead/stuck pixel guarantee !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    - 384 Dimming zone is completely not enough, cause horrible blooming/halo effect that is worse that backlight bleeding and IPS glow
    - This monitor IS NOT future proof, it will support only DP 1.4, when DP1.5 will be release in 2 years, it will be obsolete.
    - Only 98Hz for full image quality, any higher refresh rate than 98hz, you need to deal with image compression and quality degradation. what a disaster compromises 2500$
    - It is not true 10 bit color depth, it is 8 bit + FRC
    - Still has bad backlight bleeding and IPS glow, and worse caused by halo effect.
    you can refer to LIM'S CAVE review for the Predator X27, same panel as PG27UQ but different cover.

Not worth it, skip

7. ELIAS-E

ELIAS-E Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080TI
    HDR is not ready yet, this monitor is not worth it and completely not future proof.
    The only real HDR will be with DP 1.5 and MiniLed backlight

who can accept this for a 2500$ monitor !!??!!
    This is the Halo/blooming effect in PG27UQ caused by FALD and HDR, a disaster:

https://ibb.co/mOYrO9

Look at the white blooming around the objects

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  8. ubercake

ubercake Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2080 Ti XC Blk
    You could say fanboy if that's your interpretation.
    I liken making current decisions based on past experiences as a clearer picture of the situation. I also like things to work as advertised. It's what you pay your hard-earned $$$$ for.
    You obviously didn't read the four primary reasons I listed regarding why I don't choose AMD GPUs, one of which is poor treatment by moderators on AMD "support" sites. That's an experience with AMD that, in my mind, supersedes the quality or performance of any product they may make. It's also an experience that keeps potential customers from sinking additional $$$$ into their products.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  9. lord of shadows

lord of shadows Guest

GPU:
    gtx1080ti
    I’m tired of waiting tbh, 120hz 4K today? Done, in 2 years when next gen monitors come out and get delayed for an additional two years you’ll understand

10. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    utterly fantastic honest review.

but this is not for me.
    for me (since i don't play shooting games) there is no reason to pay that kind of money for fps (frames per second, not shooter). even though i have a gtx 1080ti.

using an LG OLED screen at 55" is at least $500 cheaper with better color and contrast as well (and 120Hz) as being far thinner.
    i love active zone led lighting, but they need to have "throw distance" to avoid a bit mapped effect so they're quite deep.
    not as deep as CRT's, but these are rear projected leds

11. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    120hz 1080p? 1440p?

12. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    Pretty sure its 120hz 1080p. At 120hz 4k, it would be a bit much for a product intended for the TV market.

13. sunnyp_343

sunnyp_343 Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus ROG GTX 1080