System freeze when HDDs spins up

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by SashiX, Aug 3, 2018.

1. SashiX

SashiX Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6Gb
    Hello there.
    Just wanna say, that in my old PC, i haven't had this prob.
    - Intel Q9300 @ 2.8 (stock speed is 2.5)
    - Asus P5E (x38 chipset)
    - GTX 1060 6Gb
    - 4x2Gb DDR2
    - 3x HDDs (mixed capacity and brands)
    - 1x SSD
    - DVDRW (SATA)
    - PCIe TV tuner (AverMedia)
    - PCI sound card (Creative X-Fi)
    - 9cm CPU cooler + 2 chassis fans
    - USB keyb and mouse
    - all this powered by CoolerMaster RealPower 620M

So built new PC, keeping some old stuff:
    - i7-8700k
    - MSI Z370 SLI PLUS
    - 2x8Gb DDR4
    - Water AIO 240mm + 2 chassis fans
    - same GPU (GTX 1060 6Gb)
    - same 3x HDDs and 1x SSD
    - same PCIe TV tuner
    - same keyb and mouse
    - same PSU
    - onboard soundcard coz new mobo doesn't have PCI slot for my old X-Fi and NO DVDRW either

So thats it. Same Win10Pro updated (with other drivers and stuff), same power plan (HDDs suspended after X minutes), but when my HDDs are going online and start to spin up, PC freezes for a few seconds. Not only that, but i receive a strange message from onboard Realtek soundcard, saying that i disconnected and reconnected some of my 5.1 speakers (!). If i play a game, this freezes aswell, and sometimes i even receive some sort of D3D error and it crashes. On the other hand, i have stressed CPU+GPU with AIDA64, and all ok, no hungups or freezes. I really wanted to keep up my old PSU coz it was rock solid for more than 10 years, and i thought 620W will be enough. Both CPUs are 95W TDP i think. When stress testing CPU and GPU, my energy meter showed 300-320W if i remember well. Yes, i know i can turn off HDD suspend mode, but still, this thing is very weird. This PSU have 3x 12V rails @ 19A (link to the specs above). Not enough maybe? Any other thoughts will be appreciated :) Thanks in advance.

2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Have you installed Win10 in UEFI mode?
    In what mode SATA controller is set in BIOS - AHCI or IDE?
    Have you installed Intel RST drivers?
    Check in Device manager whether any PCI devices share IRQs (switch view to "Resources by type" expand IRQ root node and scroll down to PCI devices).
    Also you can check DPC latencies with Latencymon.
    Also you can try to test different combination of values for HDD power plan setting "AHCI Link Power Management - HIPM/DIPM" - HIMP, DIPM.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2018
  3. SashiX

SashiX Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6Gb
    I think so, most probably
    yes, AHCI, same as before
    Yup, Intels ones i think, not MSIs. (have both tho)
    [​IMG]
    Did it with DPC Latency Checker these days, ~1000 us, yellow bars but still saying that i will not have any prob. Latencymon show much lower latency. Still need to leave it on and see what happened when freezes occur. BTW, what should i choose in prefs -> latency measuring method? Leave default "Interrupt to user process latency"?
    Lost here. HIPM? DIPM?

A few secs ago, another spin up and no freeze, all windows minimized, showing desktop (playing movie and browser opened in background). Thanks for the help ;)

4. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Which version?

Nothing major/suspicion/criminal.

DPC Latency Checker is not compatible with Win10.
    In Latencymon the measuring method is not for our curiosity. What we need is to monitor while HDDs spin down and up and then copy-n-paste text report here (go to menu).

Host Initiated Power Management - when OS manages power stuff for the drive, Drive (or Device) Initiated Power Management - when drive manages power stuff for itself. But it is considered that Intel RST drivers do not respect this Windows power plan setting, having its own settings for power management. I can search for registry values, but it can be that Intel changed them for a newer versions of drivers (as it was at least one time back between v11 and v13 of RST).

5. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
  6. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Found registry settings for RST 13.*
    Code:
    [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStorA\Parameters\Device]
    "Controller0Phy0HIPM"=dword:00000000
    "Controller0Phy0DIPM"=dword:00000000
    "Controller0Phy1HIPM"=dword:00000000
    "Controller0Phy1DIPM"=dword:00000000

Patterns are Controller#Phy#HIPM and Controller#Phy#DIPM. And value of "0" meant "Off".

When I toyed with these settings I remember that Aida64 confirmed the state of DIPM/HIPM for HDDs.

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    As for UEFI mode of installation you can check it for example in HWInfo

8. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    I'd highly recommend to format those HDDs (careful if there data on them you need).

9. SashiX

SashiX Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6Gb
    I forgot to mention, that in my old setup, i was using MS AHCI driver. no RTS was installed. Maybe just try default MS driver and uninstall RST? :confused:

[​IMG]

Got this result yesterday after 1 hour of use. Value pretty high for that ACPI.sys, 17k (or whatever it is). On the other hand, after this one, i reset the prog, and on the next freeze i didn't get the same ACPI.sys prob, think it was NDIS with 200+ us, not that high IMO. But the second bar, highest latency, was more or less same value, 5M or something in my consequent tries.

All values are =1, both HIPM and DIPM ones.
    Reg entry is iaStorAC, with "C" at the end, maybe just because newer version, dunno.

UEFI, confirmed

Yes, data is important there, but once again, 1 day before, in old setup and for last 5-6 years, zero problems like this.:confused:

Thanks for the replies.

10. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Don`t.

Paste text report here. Second bar is too high, but we don`t know what exactly authors of Latencymon mean by that value. It can be that first two bars are only relevant for audio equipment/drivers.

So all your drives do work in maximum energy saving mode - HIPM+DIPM. You can toy with these values.

11. SashiX

SashiX Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6Gb
    Any reason in particular?

Where is that text report? In "Stats" tab you mean?

Aham. Should I change all... HIPM/DIPM entries to 0 and see what happen? Will try to dig a bit more about these.

12. SashiX

SashiX Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6Gb
    So I digged a bit more. Found interesting info. First, i have activated this. Second, i have checked with AIDA64 my HDD specs, and found that my 2TB Toshiba and Crucial M500 SSD are HIPM and DIPM compatible, my old 500GB WD is only HIPM compatible and my even older 320GB Seagate is only DIPM compatible. The default value after activating that energy option is HIPM. Too bad this is a new Win10 install. Wish i knew what i was using in my old installation.
    Are these entries available with RTS drivers only or with default MS AHCI drivers too?

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    MS drivers are either generic or just old ones taken from Intel. So latest drivers from Intel should be better. You only have to be sure that drivers support your SATA controller.

Explore menu bar of Latencymon. IIRC in menu "Edit" should be menu item "Copy to clipboard". So you can copy report (in text) and then paste here.

It is not clear whether RST drivers respect HDD related Windows power plan settings. We can be sure that settings under the iaStorAC registry key (Controller0Phy0HIPM/Controller0Phy0DIPM) only works with RST drivers. You can test all these settings - Windows`s own and RST - by looking in HWInfo (expand "Drives" in main window and look for status of HIPM and DIPM under the "Features" group) or in AIDA64.

Update: As I take it iaStorAC is RAID driver. You can see what drivers are in use in Device Manager. Go to device in question, pop up its properties dialog, switch to "Drivers" tab and click "Details" button.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  14. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I don't think this is so much a driver issue, more so power saving features of HDDs or if it is, it's exacerbating an issue already present.

The issue I'm speaking of is drive head parking - even with drives not set to suspend, some drives, for example WD Green drives automatically park drive heads after a certain amount of time idling. This is a setting native to the firmware of some drives but, they can have their firmware modified (often requires the use of DOS programs to edit) (I've done this myself with my 4TB WD Green drive although it was very long ago).

Having said all this, it might be what others are referring to with the HIPM/DIPM flags (or the drive parking is related to these settings) regardless, I can certainly remember how frustrating drive head parking was on the WD Green drive, causing File Explorer to "lag" while the drive heads wake up or games loading textures or load information stutter as a result because the drive heads had parked.

I'd recommend taking a look at the SMART information on your HDDs to see if there has been any issues with the HDDs such as if they have bad sectors or if the drives do indeed have excessive drive head parking.

15. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Btw, in program Hard Disk Sentinel user can set two HDD`s performance/power related settings - Automatic Acoustic Management and Advanced Power Management. I saw discussion where APM was speculated as being responsible for HDD heads parking. So you can download (trial) Hard Disk Sentinel and see whether your HDDs have these settings and toy with them too.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2018

16. SashiX

SashiX Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6Gb
    Thanks for the replies.
    I use my HDDs for data storage (be it Steam games, videos, etc) and I just removed them from old PC and put them in the new one. O.S. was installed on SSD and i reinstalled it (was up to date on old system too). SMART didn't changed a bit, haven't changed any properties/configs either (i.e. acoustic management, etc.).

As for my tests: it didn't worked :( Neither RTS reg entries (i have switched off HIPM/DIPM entries for those HDDs that didn't support them) and Win Power Plan that i mentioned before worked. Was set to HIPM by default, have tried "HIPM+DIPM" and "Active" values, same thing. Once again, as i said before, in rare occasions it doesn't hang, maybe 1 out of 10 spin ups (and no, it's not because of these changes i made recently, i remember it didn't hang first days too). Now i have a question: will APM config depend on motherboard? Coz i had the same version of Win10 before, but MSAHCI drivers instead of RTS.

As for latency monitoring... nothing clear either :( Here some logs:

Log1:

Code:
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    CONCLUSION
    _________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. At least one detected problem appears to be network related. In case you are using a WLAN adapter, try disabling it to get better results. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates.
    LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  1:53:44  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
    Computer name:                                        DESKTOP-0FR4HAF
    OS version:                                           Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 17134 (x64)
    Hardware:                                             MS-7B46, Micro-Star International Co., Ltd., Z370 SLI PLUS (MS-7B46)
    CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz
    Logical processors:                                   12
    Processor groups:                                     1
    RAM:                                                  16330 MB total

CPU SPEED
    Reported CPU speed:                                   3696 MHz

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

MEASURED INTERRUPT TO USER PROCESS LATENCIES
    The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   5313920,086974
    Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   4,681961

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       5313892,935451
    Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       1,696855

REPORTED ISRs
    Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              592,606061
    Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0,065233
    Driver with highest ISR total time:                   dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0,082691

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   7810589
    ISR count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
    ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                4
    ISR count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              0
    ISR count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
    ISR count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED DPCs
    DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              1107,424242
    Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       ndis.sys - Especificación de interfaz de controlador de red (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0,024078
    Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0,077667

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   22467899
    DPC count (execution time 250-500 µs):                0
    DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                717
    DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              1
    DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0
    DPC count (execution time >=4000 µs):                 0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
    Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count:                 vivaldi.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults                       15582
    Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          5104
    Number of processes hit:                              49

PER CPU DATA
    CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       485,714530
    CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                592,606061
    CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   67,685828
    CPU 0 ISR count:                                      7777088
    CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                1107,424242
    CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   62,616970
    CPU 0 DPC count:                                      22278911
    CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       319,414953
    CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                161,718615
    CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,001238
    CPU 1 ISR count:                                      84
    CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                120,295455
    CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,007608
    CPU 1 DPC count:                                      1608
    CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       230,393665
    CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
    CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
    CPU 2 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                616,880411
    CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,293048
    CPU 2 DPC count:                                      63208
    CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       261,793250
    CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
    CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
    CPU 3 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                163,119048
    CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,005864
    CPU 3 DPC count:                                      1334
    CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       180,638826
    CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
    CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
    CPU 4 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs):                419,286255
    CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,052960
    CPU 4 DPC count:                                      11590
    CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       231,496802
    CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
    CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
    CPU 5 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs):                265,095779
    CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,007888
    CPU 5 DPC count:                                      1505
    CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       191,784401
    CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
    CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
    CPU 6 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs):                787,125541
    CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,037618
    CPU 6 DPC count:                                      8180
    CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       229,807027
    CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
    CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
    CPU 7 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs):                406,991883
    CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,136285
    CPU 7 DPC count:                                      19135
    CPU 8 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       191,164225
    CPU 8 ISR highest execution time (µs):                49,211580
    CPU 8 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,003347
    CPU 8 ISR count:                                      3247
    CPU 8 DPC highest execution time (µs):                417,969156
    CPU 8 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,043891
    CPU 8 DPC count:                                      8873
    CPU 9 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       233,193209
    CPU 9 ISR highest execution time (µs):                65,062771
    CPU 9 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,024038
    CPU 9 ISR count:                                      30174
    CPU 9 DPC highest execution time (µs):                213,316558
    CPU 9 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,022855
    CPU 9 DPC count:                                      4990
    CPU 10 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       198,377139
    CPU 10 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
    CPU 10 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
    CPU 10 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 10 DPC highest execution time (µs):                653,372294
    CPU 10 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,038649
    CPU 10 DPC count:                                      7561
    CPU 11 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       237,794397
    CPU 11 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
    CPU 11 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
    CPU 11 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 11 DPC highest execution time (µs):                391,103896
    CPU 11 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,337098
    CPU 11 DPC count:                                      61722

Thanks again for the help.

17. SashiX

SashiX Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6Gb
    Log2:

Code:
    CONCLUSION
    Your system appears to be having trouble handling real-time audio and other tasks. You are likely to experience buffer underruns appearing as drop outs, clicks or pops. One or more DPC routines that belong to a driver running in your system appear to be executing for too long. At least one detected problem appears to be network related. In case you are using a WLAN adapter, try disabling it to get better results. One problem may be related to power management, disable CPU throttling settings in Control Panel and BIOS setup. Check for BIOS updates. 
    LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  5:00:11  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION
    OS version:                                           Windows 10 , 10.0, build: 17134 (x64)
    Hardware:                                             MS-7B46, Micro-Star International Co., Ltd., Z370 SLI PLUS (MS-7B46)
    CPU:                                                  GenuineIntel Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8700K CPU @ 3.70GHz

CPU SPEED

Note: reported execution times may be calculated based on a fixed reported CPU speed. Disable variable speed settings like Intel Speed Step and AMD Cool N Quiet in the BIOS setup for more accurate results.

WARNING: the CPU speed that was measured is only a fraction of the CPU speed reported. Your CPUs may be throttled back due to variable speed settings and thermal issues. It is suggested that you run a utility which reports your actual CPU frequency and temperature.

The interrupt to process latency reflects the measured interval that a usermode process needed to respond to a hardware request from the moment the interrupt service routine started execution. This includes the scheduling and execution of a DPC routine, the signaling of an event and the waking up of a usermode thread from an idle wait state in response to that event.

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   5313920,086974
    Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   4,387986

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       5313892,935451
    Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       1,428277

REPORTED ISRs
    Interrupt service routines are routines installed by the OS and device drivers that execute in response to a hardware interrupt signal.

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              705,686147
    Driver with highest ISR routine execution time:       dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0,066734
    Driver with highest ISR total time:                   dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0,084015

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   20899676
    ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                6

REPORTED DPCs
    DPC routines are part of the interrupt servicing dispatch mechanism and disable the possibility for a process to utilize the CPU while it is interrupted until the DPC has finished execution.

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              1683,327381
    Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       ndis.sys - Especificación de interfaz de controlador de red (NDIS), Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0,024707
    Driver with highest DPC total execution time:         dxgkrnl.sys - DirectX Graphics Kernel, Microsoft Corporation

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0,080438

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   60644243
    DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                1030
    DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              12
    DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              0

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS
    Hard pagefaults are events that get triggered by making use of virtual memory that is not resident in RAM but backed by a memory mapped file on disk. The process of resolving the hard pagefault requires reading in the memory from disk while the process is interrupted and blocked from execution.

NOTE: some processes were hit by hard pagefaults. If these were programs producing audio, they are likely to interrupt the audio stream resulting in dropouts, clicks and pops. Check the Processes tab to see which programs were hit.

Process with highest pagefault count:                 vivaldi.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults                       18030
    Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          5158
    Number of processes hit:                              48

PER CPU DATA
    CPU 0 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       1262,086110
    CPU 0 ISR highest execution time (µs):                705,686147
    CPU 0 ISR total execution time (s):                   181,511444
    CPU 0 ISR count:                                      20812580
    CPU 0 DPC highest execution time (µs):                1672,107684
    CPU 0 DPC total execution time (s):                   171,914458
    CPU 0 DPC count:                                      60253213
    CPU 1 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       851,581699
    CPU 1 ISR highest execution time (µs):                239,663961
    CPU 1 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,004238
    CPU 1 ISR count:                                      414
    CPU 1 DPC highest execution time (µs):                296,379329
    CPU 1 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,023893
    CPU 1 DPC count:                                      3889
    CPU 2 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       603,339287
    CPU 2 ISR highest execution time (µs):                2,275974
    CPU 2 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,000002
    CPU 2 ISR count:                                      1
    CPU 2 DPC highest execution time (µs):                1683,327381
    CPU 2 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,774729
    CPU 2 DPC count:                                      167238
    CPU 3 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       681,858061
    CPU 3 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
    CPU 3 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
    CPU 3 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 3 DPC highest execution time (µs):                196,750
    CPU 3 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,030755
    CPU 3 DPC count:                                      6131
    CPU 4 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       490,467078
    CPU 4 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
    CPU 4 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
    CPU 4 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 4 DPC highest execution time (µs):                419,286255
    CPU 4 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,125574
    CPU 4 DPC count:                                      28255
    CPU 5 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       601,539363
    CPU 5 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
    CPU 5 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
    CPU 5 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 5 DPC highest execution time (µs):                324,311147
    CPU 5 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,017076
    CPU 5 DPC count:                                      3713
    CPU 6 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       489,632638
    CPU 6 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
    CPU 6 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
    CPU 6 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 6 DPC highest execution time (µs):                787,125541
    CPU 6 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,077455
    CPU 6 DPC count:                                      18415
    CPU 7 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       588,476049
    CPU 7 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
    CPU 7 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
    CPU 7 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 7 DPC highest execution time (µs):                406,991883
    CPU 7 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,166868
    CPU 7 DPC count:                                      24426
    CPU 8 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       512,203658
    CPU 8 ISR highest execution time (µs):                58,830628
    CPU 8 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,009565
    CPU 8 ISR count:                                      9114
    CPU 8 DPC highest execution time (µs):                417,969156
    CPU 8 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,086878
    CPU 8 DPC count:                                      19404
    CPU 9 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       610,485141
    CPU 9 ISR highest execution time (µs):                65,062771
    CPU 9 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,063860
    CPU 9 ISR count:                                      77573
    CPU 9 DPC highest execution time (µs):                390,134740
    CPU 9 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,084565
    CPU 9 DPC count:                                      15988
    CPU 10 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       506,499132
    CPU 10 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
    CPU 10 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
    CPU 10 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 10 DPC highest execution time (µs):                653,372294
    CPU 10 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,090829
    CPU 10 DPC count:                                      19356
    CPU 11 Interrupt cycle time (s):                       611,147207
    CPU 11 ISR highest execution time (µs):                0,0
    CPU 11 ISR total execution time (s):                   0,0
    CPU 11 ISR count:                                      0
    CPU 11 DPC highest execution time (µs):                391,103896
    CPU 11 DPC total execution time (s):                   0,464991
    CPU 11 DPC count:                                      85257

18. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    To toy with Windows own power plan HIPM/DIPM settings you should use MS generic drivers for SATA controller. To toy with RST HIPM/DIPM registry settings you should discover actual driver name -
    "iaStorA" or the like - and create Controller#Phy#HIPM and Controller#Phy#DIPM dword values under correct "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\iaStor*\Parameters\Device" registry key.

I see huge DPC times in these logs:

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs): 592,606061
    ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs): 4

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs): 1107,424242
    DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs): 717

Do you use Ethernet connection? Or there is WIFI one?

PS APM (and AAM) settings are stored right in disk`s firmware. But OS can change them at boot.

PPS You can try to switch PCI devices into MSI mode, read and use utility - https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/windows-line-based-vs-message-signaled-based-interrupts.378044/
    It can help to decrease ISR times. But for high DPC times only different versions of drivers can potentially help you.

19. SashiX

SashiX Member

GPU:
    GTX 1060 6Gb
    So yes, these freezing issues were coming from RTS driver. I've decided to uninstall it and problem disappear. As i said before, I tried those registry tricks while i had RTS installed to no avail :confused: Not sure but the "problem" itself may be coming just because my Seagate and WD are just old drives, not bad, but just old, and they might be not as well made/fast as new ones, i.e. startup may take 2-3 sec instead of <1 in new ones, don't have a newest power saving features, etc. Forgot to test my latest Toshiba 2TB drive only (without others two connected), if i recall it correctly i haven't seen any freeze when it spins up, but must admit that this drive has most recent files and it's almost always spinning.

Ethernet. And even after i switched to MS drivers, i still have those high DPC times. I think i got that ACPI.sys spike when both HDDs tried to start spinning at the same time :confused: The other driver is NDIS.sys.

Code:
    CONCLUSION
    LatencyMon has been analyzing your system for  6:05:11  (h:mm:ss) on all processors.

SYSTEM INFORMATION

CPU SPEED

Highest measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   1609,696078
    Average measured interrupt to process latency (µs):   4,412687

Highest measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       1599,722057
    Average measured interrupt to DPC latency (µs):       1,294427

REPORTED ISRs

Highest ISR routine execution time (µs):              216,349026

Highest reported total ISR routine time (%):          0,065817

Total time spent in ISRs (%)                          0,084421

ISR count (execution time <250 µs):                   24815312
    ISR count (execution time 500-999 µs):                0

REPORTED DPCs

Highest DPC routine execution time (µs):              2429,037338
    Driver with highest DPC routine execution time:       ACPI.sys - Controlador ACPI para NT, Microsoft Corporation

Highest reported total DPC routine time (%):          0,023964

Total time spent in DPCs (%)                          0,076082

DPC count (execution time <250 µs):                   70387516
    DPC count (execution time 500-999 µs):                5616
    DPC count (execution time 1000-1999 µs):              9
    DPC count (execution time 2000-3999 µs):              2

REPORTED HARD PAGEFAULTS

Process with highest pagefault count:                 rtkngui64.exe

Total number of hard pagefaults                       1004
    Hard pagefault count of hardest hit process:          229
    Number of processes hit:                              27
    this is quite interesting, thanks for the link ;)