Been out of the game a while - Random restards... :(

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Passion Fruit, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Hello all,

Been a hell of a long time since i've posted here. Haven't had a proper rig for nigh on 3 years and finally decided i wanted to get back in to tech. With that being said...

I'm having issues with random restarts during gaming, and only ever gaming. I can run Furmark, Prime95 or both and not experience this however i load up WoT, Homeworld Remastered - whatever game and after 20 - 30 mins i lose power and rig restarts.

Specs:

MSI B360 Gaming Plus
    i3-8350k @ 4.0Ghz (no OC)
    Team Group Vulcan T-Force 8GB 2400Mhz
    Palit GeForce 1070ti
    Kolink KL-850M 850W 80 Plus Bronze Modular

I've done all the usual checks with mem test, swapping out RAM sticks to different ports, scanned my HDDs for faults.

It originally came to light when i had the card overclocked and in Homeworld Remastered using the Star Trek Continuum mod with all settings high, when the Starbase exploded a lot of effects happend and explosions and it kicked the PC off and restarted. It was only a modest overclock but unfortunately benching and overclocking was the first thing i did when i built the system so im unsure if the problem existed pre-overclock.

The only way i can stop it happening so far is to reduce the power and thermals on my GPU using MSI afterburner. Seems like the PSU is struggling to power the GPU when at 100%, but i cant help thinking maybe the GPU could be wonky.

Just looking for opinions. Unfortunately i don't have another PSU or GPU lying around to test but i am going to RMA the PSU. From what i've read they are actually not a bad brand, budget of course but Overclockers seem to recommend them and put them into their own builds.

2. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    I'm sorry but your PSU is 99% likely the issue here.

Kolink is junk-tier; the oem of that PSU is HEC which is known for only making garbage PSUs.

Btw, Furmark is not good for today's systems as AMD/NV will automatically power throttle when apps like those are detected by the drivers.

I suggest you buy something like an EVGA G2/G3 550-650w, season focus gold etc.

3. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Thanks @Agent-A01,

I was checking my frequencies etc and they didn't throttle, not sure why.

I think i will do what you suggested, ill just RMA the unit and pay a little bit more for a better named brand. Are any of these worth the buy?

Antec Earthwatts Gold Pro 650W
    Silvertsone Essential 650W

Both are rated Gold 80+

4. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Efficiency rating means nothing when it comes to the quality of a unit.

In fact, many low tier power supplies will say 80+ gold, but if you check their website it will show that specific model is not certified for it(a lie basically).

As for your options, what's your budget and is there a website(s) I can browse for options?

I assume you aren't USA based.

Silverstone essentials aren't good either; I'd say they are average performing.
    Earthwatts is an FSP oem which isdecent usually but you could do better.

If you buy a nice one like i mentioned before they will last the whole warranty period through several builds(7-10 year warranty)

MaCk0y likes this.

5. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
  6. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Since your system will use <350~ watts under load I'll suggest 550w-650w range.

I suggest one of the following for you.
    TX550M, Seasonic focus 550, CX650M or a seasonic focus 650W for a few extra £

CX series are corsairs budget orientated PSUs but are pretty good quality for the price; the TX is even better.

Focus gold is top tier.

Focus > TX > CX.

Either way those are all miles better than a kolink or those other brands like cougar etc.

You won't find a quality 800w+ for the price of a kolink.

7. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Thanks.

I'll probably go for a TX550M. I went for the Kolink because someone said it wasn't too bad and i thought the extra headroom in wattage wasn't a bad thing but hey we all make mistakes.

Ill get it swapped out ASAP and reply as soon as i've swapped it over.

Thanks.

8. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
  9. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    Super flower is ok, but too many cost-cutting was made and performance suffers.

G3 is one of the best you can get today for a gold PSU.

10. insp1re2600

insp1re2600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    Even for a platinum rating?

11. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    It's decent but like I said there are more things that are more important than efficiency rating.

Like hold-up time, load-regulation, ripple etc.

Don't get me wrong that PSU is fine and definitely better than average but it doesn't compare to top end platinum PSUs like an evga P2 series.

I can't stress it enough, people assume efficiency rating means a PSU has quality components when that's never the case on those cheap no-name brands.

MaCk0y and Mat like this.
  12. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Just a quic
    Typical, ah well i've gotta wait for this to RMA first anyway. All other money invested in going abroad next week.

Not sure if this is a related issue, but for the life of me i can no longer render any game in 4k anymore eiher... every time i change res in game it just boots me right back out to desktop. These things love testing my patience.

13. Mat

Mat Guest

GPU:
    MSI 7850 2g CF 1050/1300
    Never cheap out on a PSU, high watts doesn't mean good amp's, voltage ripple etc, etc.

14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Yep PSU issue most likely and Agent gave solid advice.

Just to reiterate never use Furmark as, as said, GPUs auto-throttle when Furmark is detected.
    It wasn't a good test to begin with imo...

Another thing is games stress all components simultaneously, GPU, CPU, sound card, disk drives, memory...
    In my experience demanding games are therefore a better PSU test than any individual benchmark (that stresses just one component at a time).

So never rule out a PSU issue just because Prime or whatever doesn't crash.

(Actually you could well have a CPU problem, like bad memory controller, yet pass Prime but get crashes elsewhere.
    This just as an example, I'm not suspecting a CPU issue here.)

15. GlennB

GlennB Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56 EK
    If you are buying 550 i would buy the Corsair RM550x over the Seasonic 550 Focus gold. The Seasonic 550 gold only comes with 1 PEG cable (with double connecters) that can only do 225W max. The 1070TI will eat around 180 watt without an overclock, so the cable is already running towards top end of the specs. The corsair also has 1 PEG cable but is specced for a higher load on that cable.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
    HandR likes this.

16. Passion Fruit

Passion Fruit Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    I went and bought a Corsair TX650M in the end, the newer gold rated unit. Shouldn't have any issues now hopefully... wierdly enough still having GPU driver crashes when entering 4k games... i'm going to go through a gaming session now and see if i still have the power loss and restart issues... hope my GPU isn't buggered.