ASUS To Offer Zenith X399 motherboard cooling enhancement kit for Threadripper Gen2

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Oh yes, add a small, high spinning fan to your rig... always the best idea! :rolleyes:

airbud7 and rl66 like this.
  3. varkkon

varkkon Member Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1080 Ti
    LOL no kidding :) You should hear their 40 mm fan in their Hyper M.2 x16 add on card. It was so high pitch and loud I ripped it out and mounted my own
    Noctua 80 in front of the card and it even ran cooler and now I can't hear anything. Tiny fans usually suck especially if their not from a good fan maker like Noctua etc.

Who knows maybe it is really good but I doubt it, I would totally swap it out. Anyways the mobo looks really nice, I like the design and layout.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  4. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    yes with that fan you will feel like in a powerfull tupolev (on other hand they could have put more RGB LED... we are lucky in a way)... lol

fantaskarsef likes this.

5. aquasplash

aquasplash Guest

GPU:
    gtx 1060 6gb
    DLC cooling exclusive on AMD platform

6. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    Weird decision to put a fan on it, because the heatsink is not designed to have a fan on it.
    The airflow only hits very little of the total heatsink surface, the heatsink should have had alot more but thinner fins, like the EVGA X299 Dark.

Top exhaust fans in the case would probably be better then this emergency solution.

Robbo9999 likes this.
  7. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Fancontroll. Turn down the speed, so you don't hear it. This is my trick in my computers. LOL

Fan on VRM is an old trick. We did the same last decade to.

8. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    That is one ugly ass setup. Honestly, you couldn't pay me to put such a thing on my system. The VRM heatsink doesn't even look like it has open fins so what good is the fan going to do? (they should at least offer a replacement heatsink)

9. Koniakki

Koniakki Guest

GPU:
    ZOTAC GTX 1080Ti FE
    "We apologize for trying to save a few cents by not properly cooling our vrm section. To remedy that, we offer a separately sold proper cooling method for our product!"

I hope for the X399 owners, ASUS goes with the receipt/receive option.

10. SamuelL421

SamuelL421 Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 / RTX 5000
    Good to see ASUS offering this, though it had better be a freebie for owners considering the premium of the Zenith board in the first place. I also have serious doubts about the impact of that fan on the heatsink which does not appear to have any fins or channels for airflow.

Very strange decisions, why not cool it better in the first place? ASUS certainly would have been aware of the likelihood of AMD releasing an X399 update with 4 active dies,higher TDP, and requiring more robust VRM heatsinks... somewhere there is an ASUS engineer who needs to get canned.

Mat likes this.

11. jaggerwild

jaggerwild Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 2070 SUP
    I smell half ass all over it................

12. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Lol, tru tru tru.

But still, it's better that they do offer it, regardless of how annoying it sounds.

But honestly I haven't had an Asus board in a long time, it always feels like there's better bang for the buck and I don't like the fact that several high end mobos from Asus I checked in the last year basically got squat for BIOS updates. That's disappointing especially with Spectre/Meltdown being in the news.

fantaskarsef and Mat like this.
  13. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    My maximus 8 hero was supported pretty well imo..

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/MAXIMUS-VIII-HERO/HelpDesk_BIOS/

Oh boy ... now I have the image of a gamer edition Tu95 with LED's all over in my head lol.

14. Shaxuul

Shaxuul Active Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Wait, "Cooling enhancement?" ...Holy christ, as if Threadripper v1.0 COULDN'T have used that?!?!

15. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Yeah. It was a trick when they didn't count on people overclocking, back in the day when there was no one click 5 way optimization. If they'd build their heatsinks better, you wouldn't need a seperate fan.
    I don't personally care, I took my Asus board because there is a full cover waterblock for it, cooling the VRMs too, and definately more quiet than any seperate fan. ;)

Yeah, I'm still upset because there's been NO BIOS for me on my board that takes care of Meltdown/Spectre. This is pretty much a slap to the face after buying a €350+ mainboard, and three years later it's not longer supported.

16. Abc666

Abc666 Member Guru

GPU:
    EVGA FTW 1070 8GB
    Bet its more of intel that hasnt taken care of its Spectre/meltdown v.1/v.2 yet, new versions keep comming.
    Beta bios updates to fix some of the spectre/meltdown issues are availible for Z97ar etc.

17. Agent-A01

Agent-A01 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090 FE H20
    All the asus boards I've owned have had ton of bios updates.

Killian38 likes this.
  18. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'm all for this, there were a number of issues with Bulldozer and Piledriver on old DDR3 760 motherboards, and Phenom II chips on AM2+ motherboards with shotty VRMs.