Intel Core i9-9900K, i7-9700K and i5-9600K to launch in October

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Aug 1, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Oh, 95W 8C/16T 5GHz chip. If I was able to have psychotic episode, I would have one right now :D
    It would be very loud psychotic laughter. So loud, that our massive windows in office would break. And heads of colleagues would explode.

They could have added price tag of $250, and this would be complete.

3. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    1st- it's gonna be paper launch like 8700k.
    2nd- feel bad for the Z370 VRM's with CPU water cooling of the 9900K
    3rd- maybe intel gonna have the upper hand on the home desktop PC with 9900K but on HEDT and Server side- good luck getting the crazy $$$$$$ per XEON CPU from the clients, unlles Intel sells them at dirty cheap prices or the customers will invest the extra $$$$ to use the new EPYC ~64C CPU's.

Intel may win the small desktop fight- but the Big battle gonna be on the Servers/HEDT side. Good luck for both AMD/Intel :).

4. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    i do not buy the weak vrm thing ...maybe on low budget z370 it is indeed a problem ...but on higher tier motherboards that are designed in mind to be able to push 200 watts to cpu after high overclocks ... i fail to see they can not handle an 8 core chip people keep talking about like mb makers design their vrm to be able to handle max 95 watts !

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Technically you are right. Not necessarily because of any kind of definitive performance we know. What makes you right is current market share.

It is not like intel can gain much in desktop, but they can lose a lot in pro/server business.

6. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    well no but i am pretty sure they want people that updating from ivy bridge sandy bridge etc etc to get one of their 8xxx series or 9xxx i bet XD

7. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Hmm, so it's Q4 now? Well, better than Q1 2019.

I too am anticipating a paper launch. I think it was originally scheduled for 2019 but they pulled it up, just like with the 8700K. I have no doubt that it will be extremely popular though - Intel fans will be tripping over themselves to get one.

8. TLD LARS

TLD LARS Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 6900XT
    ------------------------------------------quote----------------------------------------

Some low budget boards and likely all ITX boards, may not be able to handle the extra power.
    The 8700K is around 100watt at 4.3Ghz all core boost stock, when overclocked to 4.7Ghz like the 9900K, it uses around 150W.
    The 9900K with the 2 ekstra cores would then be 200W at stock 4.7Ghz all core boost clock.
    If these quick numbers are correct, then there is very little power headroom left on allot of motherboards out there, especially if there is no airflow over the VRM, because a tower or watercooler is used.

9. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    @TLD LARS on more expensive models often the vrm's are a total overkill i am almost certain every z370 mb can handle the 9900k at stock

10. HWgeek

HWgeek Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 6200 Turbo Fotce @500/600 8x1p
    @stock- yes, but since it will be soldered and show low temp on water cooling - then users will be able to overclock and then we will start to see failed VRM topics.

11. D3M1G0D

D3M1G0D Guest

GPU:
    2 x GeForce 1080 Ti
    Being soldered just means that they won't have to delid and apply liquid metal. To be honest, I think the whole VRM issue is overblown, and most will be able to overclock without issue.

liesenberg and Venix like this.
  12. AndyMutz

AndyMutz Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX3080 FTW3
    "The i5 is a hexacore with HyperThreading."

i thought it was certain, that the i5 line-up will not have HT..?

-andy-

13. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    October! Couldn't be nicer! My time to upgrade from my old 4690. I'm looking at an i5 9600 with the equivalent motherboard H370 ( the name obviously would be different ). Don't care at all about overclocking. Even in my current rig, Turbo boost is disabled. The DDR4 RAM I'd buy would be only 2666Mhz. Perfect balance.

An AsRock M/B ( like the current H370 Asrock Performance M/B ) with ALC1220 Audio Codec and Intel Ethernet I219 and an M2 slot with multiple USB 3.1 Gen 2. Just got my new GPU, too. Perfect! Can't wait. With around 400-420 euros, I'd have a brand new PC -fast as F.

Happy I waited and didn't go with the rig I mentioned above. Almost hit the purchase button the other day.

This rig I plan to buy it will keep me happy at least 4-5 years.

P.S. And if the 9600/9500 are gonna have Hyperthreading, what else one would want! It seems too perfect if that's the case.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
    liesenberg likes this.
  14. liesenberg

liesenberg Member

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1060 6GB
    Personally for me the i7 9700K its very attractive, in the past i got some issues with HyperThreading.
    Honestly i dont know if it was because my 875k is frist gen or its because some old applications and games dont like too much HT... with some titles I feel a little bump in frames when HT is off... in others is a must to have it on since 4c/4t struggle to deliver, so for now its always on.

My bet is that for the next decade octas will be the norm to gamers because if we look at the history we see that quads are here for more than a decade and to this day strong quads still can play well the vast majority of games with great qualiy.

And since the new consoles will probably be octas too with a ryzen 7 in it... I see that 8 threads will be the common ground for programmers in the next years...

The only thing that I hope is that the industry stop to rely so heavily on single core performance and get more thread friendly with the use of pure DirectX 12 and Vulkan...

Best Regards
    Will

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  15. m4dn355

m4dn355 Master Guru

GPU:
    Guru3D 2080 Super H
    Looking forward to pair my old friend 9700 pro with a new one 9700k :grin: