Review: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 31, 2018.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    In this review, we check out the all-new Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro. The new B450 series chipset based board offer some more appealing value, as budget wise these board sell at a sub 150,- USD/EUR price ...

Review: Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro

Embra and fantaskarsef like this.
  2. JethroTu11

JethroTu11 Member

GPU:
    GTX 1050ti
    Thanks for the review. I'm interested in a new motherboard. I'll think I'll pass on this one. I don't like the lack of a ps/2 port and I'd prefer an actual voltage setting versus an offset. Otherwise, this looks like a decent motherboard.

It's interesting to see the difference in maximum core # power readings at default versus overclocked. I've used your reviews to see how my readings differ compared to yours. My 1200 yields 11-12 watt core # power readings at 3.9 Ghz. I get a little jealous when I see the lower core # power readings on the higher binned cpus you often test.

Your gaming tests also seem to show differing performance regarding the size of the L3 cache. Ghost Recon Wildlands: 1920 X 1080 appears to show that the smaller L3 cache on the lower model ryzens is having a negative effect on the frame rate.

Once again, thanks for the review. I'll read the others soon.

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Don't be, mine does eat 16W per core at peak clock.

To the board. Really like it. It is very well organized. And has everything MB in gaming/office/workstation/ ... PC needs.

airbud7 likes this.
  4. cocopipi

cocopipi Guest

GPU:
    strongest
    For real test with some knowledge and enthusiasm added check:

Short summary: this board is garbage ... biggest mistake in article is number of phases. It does not use 11 VRM phases (8+3) but only 7 (4+3).

Fake VRM phases are explained here:

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Sad. Higher heat => lower power efficiency, lower longevity.

6. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    No, it certainly isn't. The VRM hype simply is getting out of context, as hey people love to create viral clicks? The board has 4 phases to the CPU, and yes they are doubled up, doubling up still cools down the chokes and capacitors in use as they distribute the load evenly. Add to that the VRM cooling that gigabyte applied and have a peek at the thermal image in the review.

Even if you load up b450 with the fastest Ryzen (like we did) it'll function fine. Once you overclock extremely things could be different. This, however, is B450, the entry-level budget board not intended for all kinds of freaky stuff. I mean if you are planning to run viral on the CPU software like prime95, hey okay .. you're right. But if you plan to do all kinds of weird stuff on your B450 motherboard, perhaps you should have looked at X470 in the first place? This board will be fine for the 90% out there and is far from being garbage.

7. Crazy Serb

Crazy Serb Master Guru

GPU:
    270X Hawk 1200-1302
    For doubled phases you need doubler's, which this board does not have and you need voltage controller, which supports doubling and you guessed by now, this board does not have... Also, if you remove those "doubled" components, motherboard probably would not even notice it, unless doubled components are rated really low.
    Also 5 minutes for VRM temps is not enough.

Since board vendors are not honest, I think that reviews need to be technically accurate at least.

8. Tran Chi Vinh

Tran Chi Vinh Guest

GPU:
    gt730
  9. BlackZero

BlackZero Guest

I wouldn't trust a word they say.

For a self-proclaimed champion of the masses, Hardware Unboxed sure do have a lot of logos from a particular company in all their video reviews.