OpenGL stuttering in No Mans Sky with 1060 6GB

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Kaerar, Jul 26, 2018.

1. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    A friend of mine has a 1060 6GB which is having issues with massive FPS drops and stuttering when moving around. Looking about the net it's come back to it being an OpenGL related issue. Resetting gfx settings, updating to latest drivers haven't solved the issue, so jumped on here to see if anyone has an idea of how to get around or solve the problem.

PC specs are:
    i5 7600K stock
    GTX 1060 6GB
    16GB DDR4 2133MHz
    M.2 SSD

So technically should be able to run NMS without much issue. However stutter fest and massive frame drops are the order of the day.

Any ideas on a solution guys?

2. milamber

milamber Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim X
    - Triple Buffering with either Fastsync or Adaptive Vsync
    - Limit frame rate to 90
    - Enable borderless window in the ini file
    - Turn down Shadows and Reflections
    - Delete the all shader files and let them regenerate
    - NoFade FPS Booster mod - https://www.nexusmods.com/nomanssky/mods/617

3. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    You can't change how much buffers are used by FastSync.
    If you use FastSync or any kind of Vsync (Adaptive or not), you should cap the frame-rate at the refresh rate (or preferably below it by a small fraction for Vsync) or leave it uncapped (but certainly don't do 1.5x, 0.75x or 1.25x, etc of the refresh rate).

4. Sajittarius

Sajittarius Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 4090
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought FastSync was basically proper Triple Buffering? And that it didn't matter what you cap at when you set it above the refresh rate because the video card will discard any excess frames and just use one of the buffers that is ready to display?

And Adaptive Vsync disables vsync when dropping under the refresh rate, to avoid dropping to .5x or .25x, no? So yea Adaptive would probably benefit from just under refresh rate (or to combine with Triple buffering, in OpenGL)

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018

5. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    With the fps below refreshrate, FastSync just takes any an all finished frames and displays them during the next refresh and repeats the last when necessary. There is not much to go wrong there because it's designed not to add more lag than necessary, so you don't experience big fluctuations in the added latency.
    When fps is moderately high, there is a lot to go wrong. Some excess frames will necessarily be dropped and yet some frames might still be repeated because there is no mechanism to smooth things out (no "back pressure" to help a more even "frame pacing").
    But as soon as there are plenty of frames to choose from, there is no need to repeat any of them and any random solution (the frames it picked from the unconstrained stream for displaying) has a fairly high chance to look good enough (yet there will still be some random hiccups here and there around frametime spikes).

6. Kaerar

Kaerar Guest

GPU:
    5700XT
    Numthreadslow to 0

Seems to be the fix. Somewhere in the driver settings.

7. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Hm, worth a shot. Any more pointers where this setting can be found?

8. Gortex

Gortex Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    I found turning motion blur down in the game settings stopped much of the stutter.

9. dr_rus

dr_rus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Turn on triple buffering in the driver settings, try using driver's vsync in conjunction with game's vsync being either on or off.

Last time I've played the game all my issues were fixed by turning driver's TB option on but I have a 1080 and it's possible that 1060 just isn't fast enough for stable 60 fps.

10. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    It isn't. Not even a 1070 is fast enough for this game.

11. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
  12. Gortex

Gortex Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX 1060
    HonoredShadow likes this.
  13. Monchis

Monchis Guest

GPU:
    GTX 950
    Well, they tested on at least three different systems and all had some problem or another, on their 1060 sytem framerates were not as good as the other similar card.

14. Margalus

Margalus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI Ventus 3060 Ti
    Maybe at 4k. At 1080 it's more than enough. I have a 980Ti that gets a solid 60fps in this game.

I should qualify that statement though, I haven't played extensively, but what I have played has been stable on my system. I don't like the game much though, so that is why I haven't played extensively.

HonoredShadow likes this.
  15. RealNC

RealNC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070 Ti Super
    lol, no. It appears you only played the game for a short while. The FPS will tank randomly on a 980 Ti or 1070.

And DigitalFoundry has confirmed it

Also, the 1070/980Ti are 1440p cards. If you can't run a game at 1440p@60 on them, there's something wrong with the game. And in this case, there's something wrong with the game (hint: it's a crappy console port.)