Windows 10 will soon predict the best time to restart PC after an update

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 26, 2018.

1. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    You Sir, Are Simply Brilliant! ....:D

why didn't Microsoft think of that? I hope they see your post!

fantaskarsef and Mateja like this.
  2. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    He makes too much sense for Derpysoft.

fantaskarsef and airbud7 like this.
  3. joshk

joshk Active Member

GPU:
    Asus Tuf 4090
    At first better they learn how to prepare update that not fcuk completely windows 10. My MSI GT73VR system died after 1803 update in infinite try to revert to old Win10 after failed update.
    Normaly that is not a problem but on vacation is a real pain in the ass.

4. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    My PC never restarts without me wanting to.

It always applies updates when i shutdown or restart manually.

5. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Just disable auto updates and check for updates whenever You want to yourself. There's no better solution.

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Honestly what is the issue?

My system barely updates it self I have to do most of it manually and I haven't changed any settings for it to do so either.

The only updates I get regularly, which update by themselves, is Windows Defender definitions most other updates I seem to read about them before they even download and 90% of the time I read about them then I search for them and they pop up.

7. airbud7

airbud7 Guest

GPU:
    pny gtx 1060 xlr8
    were talking win10 here not 7

8. lucidus

lucidus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    We've had 3 patches this month already and we still have *another* Tuesday left. Plenty of updates to intrude :p

9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I think you are grossly over-estimating MS's ability to understand something that is logical, simple, and convenient.
    "Here at MS, if it isn't bloated, annoying, and/or over-complicated, you're doing it wrong"

fantaskarsef, airbud7 and carnivore like this.
  10. Mateja

Mateja Guest

GPU:
    GeForce GT 640 12140MB
    yes and yes my sentiments exactly. fix the minutes long black screen w/ no warning, the automatic d/l and install w/o permission, and forced restarts first... and yeah sounds like a marketing gimmick...

I am left only to wonder a few things. Is it really AI or just a marketing gimmick? and does the computation take place in the cloud or locally on my pc? how does it know i went to get a coffee .. hijacking webcam? key-logger? I don't like it either way. already have telemetry from OS, GPU, and god knows what else sucking up resources please no more. feel like my pc's do more work for other ppl than myself these days... wish there was a universal 'turn all this crap off except essential security' option in one switch, not 15 switches and hacking the registry and .inf files...

11. chronek

chronek Guest

GPU:
    Geforce 980 GTX 4GB gddr5
  12. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    So my laptop that I use for tuning my 99 Camaro SS had an update. Mind you 99% of the time it's used for writing and running live diagnostics through the vehicles PCM. Well my brother needed his transmission scanned and had a friend that needed help passing emissions. I fired up my laptop and wasn't in use for a month. Well it did an update and randomly restarted.................... Well it was running and nothing was on the screen. I waited 20 -40 mins then pressed the power button and also tried resetting it. Almost an hour later it shows it updating and went from 30% to 100% within seconds and thank god it started working. I thought my screen failed lol.

I can't fuc*** stand Windows 10 and I always get nervous when it does an update. My other laptop/tablet has Windows 10 and when I update that it tends to mess up my wifi drivers and sometimes can't go online.

What's funny was that my main PC has Windows 7 and a few days ago it did and update and I chose to install it within my time frame. Well I wanted to play that old game RETURN TO CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN and it won't run!! It was running fine before the update and I mean I just played it a few days before the update. Still can't play it :-( God I hate MICROSOFT!

13. Irenicus

Irenicus Master Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti OC
    You know what's more amazing? People commenting about such things on a tech forum, not realising that there is indeed an option to manually restart whenever you want. Who knew? It's so funny when people say stuff like this. I mean, I hear the usual "you cannot stop windows 10 from updating without doing some real trickery" - 100% false. It's very easy to do. On a forum called Guru3d it amazes me how few of you are, in fact, gurus. I guess I am among the few who actually know how to control their OS.

Size_Mick likes this.
  14. BarryB

BarryB Guest

GPU:
    Palit SJS 780 in SLI
    I disabled windows updates ages ago, so no forced restarts for me :)

15. UnrealGaming

UnrealGaming Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    Yeah

16. Dimitrios1983

Dimitrios1983 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX580
    MICROSOFT will be using this to predict it.

mbk1969, Fox2232 and fantaskarsef like this.
  17. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    I must be the luckiest person having the only two rigs that actually follows the gpeditor setting of not to restart automatically. If the rig needs to be restarted after an update it just sits there till I click on the restart button. The only time it will restart automatically is when the update has been waiting for the restart for over a week. This AI solution is not a solution. It is just more bloat on top of the bloated mess Windows has become. Windows 10 Pro here.

Windows Home...have no use for it and never will.

18. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    You have to understand that MS has reached the conclusion that their consumers don´t know what they need/want so it´s up to MS to decide for them... That´s the point of W10, to have an OS that decides automatically what to do instead of asking the users what it should do like a normal OS...

Common logic is not applied to W10...

fantaskarsef likes this.
  19. bigfutus

bigfutus Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080 VENTUS 10G
    The best time to restart my PC after an update is when i say so, deal with it Microsoft.

20. Backstabak

Backstabak Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte Rx 5700xt
    I have disabled windows defender, as personaly it was even more annoying than the automatic updates, but I'm quite sure you can disable the notifications in gpedit anyway. There should be an option under windows defender to disable all notifications.