GeForce GTX 1180 announced late August - 1180+, 1170 and 1160 to follow

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 23, 2018.

1. tunejunky

tunejunky Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xtx/7900xt
    hold back the flames.

i seriously doubt the veracity of the alleged cards and release dates. after several manufacturers had very good results with massdrop as a new distribution channel and with shiploads of
    10xx cards unsold, there is no business reason to launch at this time.
    now, if there was a huge promotion behind the unsold 10xx cards - before the release of 11xx, i might believe Christmas as the release date.
    as for Gamescom, i love Germany, but the event (and the market) is too small for such a major reveal.
    with the pent-up enthusiast demand, CES is much more apropos for a launch than an obscure gamer convention.
    this smells too much like wishful thinking and/or driving up sales of passes for the convention.
    we have to remember this is a business, and that the shareholders take priority over everything.
    taking a bath with unused backstock eats into profits and therefore stock price.

as a fan, i wish this was true. i have a good home waiting for the 1180.

airbud7 and Serotonin like this.
  2. Serotonin

Serotonin Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 4080 16GB
    Agreed. Tough situation for nVidia to be in. They have the demand for a new series of gpu's. but they have the stock of the current series in fuller supply than usual. And I can't see them wasting all that product. Even if the cards are ready and the idea was to launch in August, given how quickly mining went cold and current cards became fully stocked, too much loss to make a move. I don't see anything before Q1 2019. And with the gaming scene as it is, nothing looks necessary for additional power as we continue to basically receive parity or slightly better with console ports for another year or so before the next-gen cycle hits. Which is where new gpu's would make more sense.

tunejunky likes this.
  3. Hirantha

Hirantha Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Hybrid (BEAST)
    EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti SC2 GAMING is $800 on newegg. Way too much money if you ask me. I doubt any of this news is effecting the current products. Anyway it's time for me to replace my 980ti :)

4. s1DDy

s1DDy Member

GPU:
    MSI GTX 1070Ti
    if its true (i say IF XD)..., i hope they will ship with gddr6..., maybe then i'm tempted to look in to the possibility of getting one of the boardpartners...

5. Hapatingjaky

Hapatingjaky Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3080Ti OC
    Obviously fake.

The fact that this is a professional email sent out to AIB's you would assume, it would have an Nvidia header etc etc.

This just looks like some scrub who wrote it on reddit.

tunejunky likes this.
  6. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    and fact is, companies send out emails without big headers.
    multiple ones from my company never had it, at least for the confidential ones...

7. Seikon

Seikon Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8g
    When you sit on so much money made from selling card's to miners i really doubt they will discount the unsold card's , simply because they have the $$ to just wait for them to sell , a lot of gamer's waited for gfx's card to go down in price , a lot will buy a 1080ti for 800$ after they had 1k$+ for month's.
    There is one thing NVIDIA could do , is release the next card's @ a higher price , and knowing NVIDIA they might do that , releasing a gtx1180 that has same power as the 1080TI while a bit more expensive , just to make people chose the "cheaper" 1080ti :/

8. Seikon

Seikon Active Member

GPU:
    MSI RX480 Gaming X 8g
    Why ? what's wrong with the 980TI , still runs anything even @ 1440P w/o any problem's , people should stop "upgrading" like this -_- .
    I own a rx480 , and TBH atm i see no reason to change it , it run's any game i play on close to maxed details over 60fps .

airbud7 likes this.
  9. lmimmfn

lmimmfn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti
    I think that email looks plausible, especially when Jensen was saying no new cards, dont wait buy your card now which smells of overstock.

10. Reddoguk

Reddoguk Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3090 GB GamingOC
    1180+ is a reference to hand picked or cherry picked sorted GPUs for a new Founders Edition. the + is for top ASIC scores so you'll have something like this,
    Your card's ASIC Quality is higher than 86.9% of similar GPUs in our validation database.

11. Hirantha

Hirantha Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Hybrid (BEAST)
    I need to have all eye candy turn on when i play a game, so getting 25 to 40fps while playing KCD (Kindom come: deliverance) is not fun. Playable but i think can do better on the the 100hz monitor I paid for.

airbud7 likes this.
  12. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    There was such a time. Then they kept producing a lot more hoping the mining trend would continue, but then GPU mining suddenly died, and now they have excess stock. GPU prices have been going down quite a lot since april or so already.

13. Vipu2

Vipu2 Guest

GPU:
    1070ti
    "Over 60fps" is not enough if u have 165hz monitor.

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    more likely 16GB on the 1180+ vs 8 on the 1180, both will b GDDR6.