[Solved] RX480/RX580 AMD drivers causing cursor/mouse lag

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by FookDat, Jul 20, 2018.

1. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    I have a RX480 flashed to RX580.

All drivers above 18.2.1 cause a mouse stutter lag freeze.
    Mouse will move for 2-3 seconds then freeze for 1 second and then repeat this forever.

This ONLY happens when the AMD drivers get installed.
    If I uninstall drivers mouse returns to normal.

Turning mouse trail on and on low stops this from happening on the desktop. But NOT in game.
    In game the mouse will freeze every couple seconds so does the game.

I have used the magnifying fix but that does not work in game for me either.
    Installed all drivers and even reformatted my pc with windows 7 and windows 10.
    Removed all XBOX files using CCCleaner and registery.

Switched to different bios get same result.
    ALL AMD drivers above 18.2.1 make this same issue happen.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Its a bug, they know about it, and they are investigating.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  3. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    Update:
    18.7.1 WHQL July 19th fixed the issue!

AlleyViper and LocoDiceGR like this.
  4. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    I was wrong, after the PC sat unused for about 10 minutes the mouse lag freeze came back!
    Had to roll back to 18.2.1 to get rid of the mouse lag freeze issue.

5. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Never had this issue...i dont even know whats even possible to cause this mouse lag.

6. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    The fact that AMD puts a driver that conflicts with the MOUSE is stupid enough, the fact that they know about it and can not fix it! Try using the 18.2.1 drivers to fix all drivers after, that is where I would start.

AMD "Cursor or system lag may be observed on some system configurations when two or more displays are connected and one display is powered off."

All monitors on still happens!
    If you just turn a monitor off, it will start to happen, but turning it on does not fix issue, have to uninstall drivers.

BUT THERE IS NO FIX!

7. warlord

warlord Guest

GPU:
    Null
    @LocoDiceGR Perhaps you are new to ATI, it is the most well known bug of ALL TIMES with this brand. Multiple gens in the past had this problem in my rigs. But, I never encountered this since Windows 10.

Back in the topic, it's user's problem, he should never flash his card with other bios. Most users, destroy their experience trying to make a fool of manufacturers. @FookDat you bought an rx 480 not rx 580.

8. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    You are least intelligent person on the forums!

Actually I have TWO bios on my video card smart guy! One is the default RX 480! Guess what.... it still happens, I also have another RX 480 sitting on shelf NEVER been touched... happens to that one too! Thank you for you non useful information and contributing nothing!

I never blue screen or crash, getting cooler temps than I used to, you are right, I am destroying my card....

9. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Gents gents ... can we not do the personal insults please?

Maddness and Grimbarian like this.
  10. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Try upgrading the display driver through Device Manager, and not the AMD installer. And just the display driver. Keep the other stuff intact from 18.2.1.

AlleyViper likes this.

11. AlleyViper

AlleyViper Master Guru

GPU:
    Strix 2070S|6700XT
    Some suggestions: If W10 seems to solve it for some, try it on 1803 with latest CU as a baseline. As for the post above, try to understand if the problem comes from the basic set of drivers or the accompanying software.
    You can test this by cleaning everything with DDU and then install only the driver via Device Manager, if it solves the problem, then install the whole package and, one-by-one, try to disable services or stuff that autostarts with the driver and could be causing it -- if it still fails, mix it with 18.2.1 as per post above.
    Also, check if the problem worsens when using BCLK OC on your MB or a very high USB mouse polling rate (by going from 1000Hz to 500Hz if applicable. Check also if the way monitors are connected influences it, such as switching in between hdmi/dvi to DP. Good luck!

12. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    It only happens when the AMD drivers get installed drivers after 18.2.1.... so explain that?

13. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    Could be a simple resource conflict with the device and USB ports, not sharing nicely, despite the whole -IRQ thingy. My old mobo didn't like sharing the onboard SATA with PCIe#0, despite the autoconfig IRQs. Only fix was to manually change the setting, which became impossible with newer OS.

14. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    AMD "Cursor or system lag may be observed on some system configurations when two or more displays are connected and one display is powered off."

I reformatted with Windows 7, now it will only lag if a monitor is turned off. If all monitors are on it works fine.
    If I use my TV connected to my PC it will lag all the time no matter what.

As long as all my monitors are on it wont lag at the moment.
    There is something wrong with the AMD configuration as it only happens with the latest drivers, 18.2.1 works just fine and ALL drivers before it, every driver after same issue.

15. Seren

Seren Guest

GPU:
    Asus Strix RX570
    AFAIK drivers past 18.2.1 are using the latest Windows driver model so it may be a Windows issue.

16. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    I think I may have found something interesting in this matter...

So I have my two 24" dell p2412h monitors connected using dvi>dpi cable no adapters just the adapter cable its self. but my tv is hooked up using a hdmi>hdmi cable.
    The cursor lag does not happen when my tv is off only one of my monitors. so maybe the issue of this happening is with those using adapter cables?

Just an idea.

17. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    I used to have a problem similar to this - every 2-3 seconds there would be a stutter (mouse cursor, videos, games etc) and it was constantly occurring. It originally occurred for me in driver versions after 17.7.2 (17.7.2 and below were fine) and if I remember, that's when the actual wddm change occurred too (for Windows 10 at least).

For me the issue was finally solved in January's driver and "touch wood" it doesn't come back but I can certainly feel your pain, it's one of the most frustrating bugs to ever happen.

All I can really suggest is ensure you submit bug reports to AMD and try out new drivers as they are released and sadly hang back on an older driver until it's solved or you've found a suitable workaround. This is What I had to.

I actually wonder if it's perhaps a regression or perhaps some oversight on compatibility for Windows 7?

But reading this, it could indeed be some kind of conflict going on, have a play with your connections, cables and settings.

18. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    A workaround is :

Open AMD Radeon Settings

Open the Display tab and select the affected display

Click on Specs

Click on Override

Disable “HDCP Support”

For the mouse lag.

sfo and EdInk like this.
  19. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+
    Actually, I've just recently installed 18.8.1 and I'm getting stutter now.... (I had been on 18.3.2) - disabled and re-enabled my secondary monitor and stutter disappeared (Primary monitor is displayport, secondary is HDMI).

Doesn't seem to be a pattern as to how it occurs for me just that it occurs sometimes.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  20. Xzess

Xzess Member

GPU:
    R9 380 4gb
    Try this:
    - Use "latency monitor" software to see if something is having too much DCP and conflicts the mouse. (this is only to test)

- Put the pc in Hhgh performance mode in windows, and desactivate freesync (if you have), and energy eficiency in radeon CP.
    - Disable "AMD external events" service in windows services.
    - Put your monitors in 100% scaling options in the windows settings, don't use 150% or 125%....

Do that one by one, maybe one of them works.